Installing Firefox/BonEcho 2.0 while keeping 1.5.0.7

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

FF1.5.0.8 got an upgrade to its auto-update system, to allow users the option of upgrading to 2.0 if they want.

If you want to go to 2.0, then upgrade. If you'd rather stay with 1.5, then don't.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
RAF

Post by RAF »

But above all, you should change that animated avatar into something not moving. It's against the rules on this forum.
BeachKeys

Re: Installing Firefox/BonEcho 2.0 Beta 2 while keeping 1.5.

Post by BeachKeys »

Frank Lion wrote:I had a chat with Ed on this and he has no problem with me adding this alternative method here.

For normal builds, I use the same method as Ed (not that surprising since I learnt it from Ed, haha) but for beta builds, which I trust about as far as I can throw them, I use the following method, in the interest of high speed and Mozilla folder security :

1. Download a ZIP build of beta.*(nothing gets installed when using zip builds )

2. Go to your existing 'Mozilla' folder (it will be Doc&Settings/Whatever/Apps Data/Mozilla) make a backup copy of it and paste it somewhere. Then rename the one in Apps Data to 'MozillaMAIN'.

3. Make a folder in your C Drive or whatever and call it 'Firefox Beta'. Put your zip into it, and unzip it into that folder.

4. Go into the unzipped folders and find 'firefox.exe' and double click it - it will make a NEW Mozilla folder and you are away.

5. When you are finished fiddling, delete this new Mozilla folder (or rename it Mozilla-B2, if you want it again), rename your 'MozillaMAIN' back to 'Mozilla' and fire up your Firefox 1.5

6. Do not use your beta zip build again, without repeating the above steps again! Possible 'world of pain' type stuff otherwise.

See? very quick and totally risk free, I do it like this all the time with betas.

*see answer below, to find these : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 38#2511238

** extra tip here : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 23#2524123

This sounds like a good way to install another version but checking around I found I have two locations (Doc&Settings/Whatever/Apps Data/Mozilla) for the Mozilla folder on my PC. One under administrator and one under the PC name. Which would I rename or would this still work since there are two Mozilla folders?
steviex

Post by steviex »

I've updated to Firefox 2.0 and still have 1.5.07 listed in the Change/remove programs list.... Is it OK to remove 1.5.0.7 from this ...or will it zap 2.0?
(XP SP2 ..CA firewall and AOL ISP)

Cheers
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Old MESMD

Post by Old MESMD »

Hi,

CAN I install FF 2.0 over my current FF 1.5.0.9 and keep the same profile, bookmarks, etc.?

Also, I want to keep its ability to work with TB ver 1.5.0.9 as my email client.

Or will it install in a different directory so I can Still run both FF 2.0 and FF 1.5.0.9?

thank you,

Miles
steviex

Post by steviex »

Yes.. but I would recommend backing up your bookmarks and profile first
You will need to install the Get Mail extension https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/

It will install in whatever directory you like... If you want to run 2 versions of firefox, you will need 2 profiles... See discussions on other threads here and on the support forum
(Make sure you know what you are doing first .

^^Problem solved Deleted 1.5.0.7 and reinstalled 2.0 .. No problems
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

MESMD wrote:Hi,

CAN I install FF 2.0 over my current FF 1.5.0.9 and keep the same profile, bookmarks, etc.?

Also, I want to keep its ability to work with TB ver 1.5.0.9 as my email client.

Or will it install in a different directory so I can Still run both FF 2.0 and FF 1.5.0.9?

thank you,

Miles

MESMD,

The beginning of this thread is a pretty good explanation of this procedure but i did install 2 over 1.5.0.9 and it went well. Except for a couple of extensions (like imageshack) everything just super. Even the themes came in.

TB is a separate program so installing Fx 2 would have no impact on it.

Good luck!
steviex

Post by steviex »

The get mail option is missing in firefox 2 .. so the extension rescues it from the bin !

gneumm

Post by gneumm »

When I installed Version 2 of firefox, I assumed that it would override version 1.5. Now I see that Version 1.5 is still listed among programs that can be deleted from the Control Panel. Should I delete the old version?

I have some weird display problems. Namely in some websites, certain log-in areas get an unwanted neon glow that hides the text. Noone else using the same website seems to have the problem, so I figured it must be the settings in firefox. Another problem is the fact that the Verification codes that some websites send with their log-in procedure, does not show up at all. I see the box where I am supposed to place the verification code. But there is no code. Here is an example of such a website: http://www.egoldinstant.com. I do not see a code on that site from this computer. But I do see the code from another computer that run Explorer on Windows 98Me

Can anyone help?
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

@gneumm,

The beginning of this thread has excellent explanation.
I don't there are any major problems keeping both browsers with separate profiles.
I installed 2 over 1.5 and it went well but doesn't seem to work for everyone. Probably depends on what you have on your PC too! You could try using MozyBackup to back up your 1.5 profile and restoring it to your new 2 after un-installing 1.5. Backed/restored p.w. and bookmarks are probably safest bet.

Check this link for tips on backing up profile etc.:
http://users.skynet.be/fa258499/migration.html
gaf3

Post by gaf3 »

I've read through this entire thread, and while people have asked about whether or not to use a separate folder for installing 2.0 if you want to run both, I haven't seen any clear answers.

Since, on my MS Win install, firefox.exe is located directly at C:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, it seems counter-intuitive to expect that an installation of 2.0 into the same directory would allow you to run both 1.5 and 2.0 at the same time, or switch between them easily. But that seems to be what the instructions here say to do, or at least nothing says point blank that you must install into a different diretory if you want to be able to switch back and forth between them.

So which is it? Do I have to install into the same directory? Do I have to install into a different directory? Or does it not matter?

Thanks
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Yes, you must install them to separate locations.

There is a brief guide here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 67#1757367
It was written for running 1.5 beta alongside 1.0.6, but it all still applies.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Does this work for v3.0 alpha also?

Help MozillaZine: Donate! or Buy Something!
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

It works for running any two versions side by side.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

thanks!

Help MozillaZine: Donate! or Buy Something!