MozillaZine

Firefox 2.0.0.4 on MAC stops viewing QT objects on Webpages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bill daul

Post Posted July 13th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Suddenly can't view Quicktime objects on my MAC Powerbook...using Firefox. I can view things just fine on Safari.

Under Firefox...I get a QT logo with question mark through it.

Thanks, --bill ** e-mail address removed by moderator **

ibjoeralt

Post Posted July 13th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:Suddenly can't view Quicktime objects on my MAC Powerbook...using Firefox. I can view things just fine on Safari.

Under Firefox...I get a QT logo with question mark through it.

Thanks, --bill ** e-mail address removed by moderator **
I am having the same problem in Vista. While viewing QT videos or listening to QT audios, Firefox crashes, sometimes a few minutes in. This has also happened with streaming audio and video through Musicovery, etc. I have installed the WMC plug-in, but the problem persists. Any diagnosis? Fixes?

Thanks,
CA User

jstoneburner

Post Posted July 19th, 2007, 9:02 pm

This happened since updating Quicktime to 7.2. Did that happen to you two above also? Or are you still using an older Quicktime?

The Mac websites talk about this problem, but they don't quite have what we are seeing: that Safari views quicktime trailers (for instance) fine, but Firefox complains that a plugin is missing (in my case, or a question mark in yours). I've read the threads on MacFixIt and MacInTouch, at least as of today.

Readers: Thanks, but this is NOT the "Quicktime takes over Flash" issue.

I've removed all plugins, both fail. Added back just QT plugins, and Safari works fine on the trailers at Apple.com, but not Firefox. Made sure the prefs did NOT call for playing Flash content. Even reinstalled Flash 9. Nothing.

PS: updating from 2.0.0.4 to 2.0.0.5 didn't change anything.

dickvl

Post Posted July 19th, 2007, 9:50 pm

If you get a message that a plugin is missing and it refers to QT then you may need to check that that particular Mime type is enabled in the QT Mime settings.

jstoneburner

Post Posted July 19th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Reinstalling QT 7.2 worked.

That was the one thing I didn't want to do, because last time it caused half my apps (Rosetta ones) to fail on my Intel Mac. I had to reinstall 10.4.10 to get things to work again. Either Apple fixed the recent download, or by some more complex mechanism I managed to avoid the pitfall.

Anyway, to those that find this thread, don't be afraid to try it again, if none of the various suggestions solve it for you....

Dartman

Post Posted July 19th, 2007, 10:08 pm

bill daul,

I removed your email address because we do not provide email support. The whole purpose of a forum is so everyone can help at one universal place. More importantly, spammers like to harvest emails from public forums.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Jewel D

Post Posted October 24th, 2007, 11:02 am

I have the same problem outlined here - but I'm fuzzy on the solution -

are we supposed to re-install the browser?

Thanks...
"Time that you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted." John Lennon

dickvl

Post Posted October 24th, 2007, 11:27 am

veegee

Post Posted November 4th, 2007, 3:00 am

jstoneburner wrote:Reinstalling QT 7.2 worked.

That was the one thing I didn't want to do, because last time it caused half my apps (Rosetta ones) to fail on my Intel Mac. I had to reinstall 10.4.10 to get things to work again. Either Apple fixed the recent download, or by some more complex mechanism I managed to avoid the pitfall.

Anyway, to those that find this thread, don't be afraid to try it again, if none of the various suggestions solve it for you....

You know, I'm not skilled enough to reinstall jack -- and quicktime works on safari and opera, but not on firefox. Is there a workaround that doesn't involve experience that I don't possess?

Return to Firefox Support