Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TheGMan5972

Mozilla Firefox - I'm having probs too - Please help!!!!

Post by TheGMan5972 »

Am currently using V2.0.0.3 (AGAIN!!!) But, I have to keep rolling back every couple of days because the automatic installer wants me to upgrade to V2.0.0.6 which is the version that I'm having problems with. If I click on 'no', it automatically updates the next time I start firefox!

It warns me that there's a new version available, so, I let it update. It then starts the download and installs it but it then usually opens firefox and congratulates you on successfully updating firefox. Well, I don't get the message telling me that I've successfully updated firefox as firefox doesn't open!

If I try to manually open firefox by clicking on the icon I get the following error message (nb: this is not word perfect as I am using V2.0.0.3 and NOT getting this error at the moment):

error opening firefox.exe

another program is currently using this file.

But when I check task manager, firefox.exe is not running so I can't end it!!

So, I have to then reboot....

Upon restart, If I then click on the firefox icon, the "Congratulations you've successfully updated firefox" message appears. I can then use firefox but If I close it and re-open it a couple of times it then won't open and I get the same error message about it currently being used by another program which I can only clear by rebooting. It's as if the new version won't close properly.

Anyone else getting this same error??? If it can't be fixed then is there someway I can disable the automatic updater to prevent V2.0.0.6 being automatically downloaded??

TIA
TheGMan5972

Mozilla Firefox - I'm having probs too - Please help!!!!

Post by TheGMan5972 »

Am currently using V2.0.0.3 (AGAIN!!!) But, I have to keep rolling back every couple of days because the automatic installer wants me to upgrade to V2.0.0.6 which is the version that I'm having problems with. If I click on 'no', it automatically updates the next time I start firefox!

It warns me that there's a new version available, so, I let it update. It then starts the download and installs it but it then usually opens firefox and congratulates you on successfully updating firefox. Well, I don't get the message telling me that I've successfully updated firefox as firefox doesn't open!

If I try to manually open firefox by clicking on the icon I get the following error message (nb: this is not word perfect as I am using V2.0.0.3 and NOT getting this error at the moment):

error opening firefox.exe

another program is currently using this file.

But when I check task manager, firefox.exe is not running so I can't end it!!

So, I have to then reboot....

Upon restart, If I then click on the firefox icon, the "Congratulations you've successfully updated firefox" message appears. I can then use firefox but If I close it and re-open it a couple of times it then won't open and I get the same error message about it currently being used by another program which I can only clear by rebooting. It's as if the new version won't close properly.

Anyone else getting this same error??? If it can't be fixed then is there someway I can disable the automatic updater to prevent V2.0.0.6 being automatically downloaded??

TIA
TheGMan5972

Sorry about the duplicate posting...

Post by TheGMan5972 »

I originally got an error about the operation failing due to being timed out so I posted again. Both messages took though. Sorry!! Mods... Please feel free to delete one, thanks.
steviex

Post by steviex »

@TheGMan5972
OK ... The version should be 2.0.0.5 as that is the one that has just been released. Try the fix here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version

For the updates... try Tools > Options > Advanced > Updates

@ madnehyra
If you are using Zone Alarm as your current provider, then Remove Firefox from the Allowed program list, then let Zone Alarm redetect Firefox.

Please post the full list, so we can check to see if you have any fragments from any previous installations. (especially is you have used Norton/Symantic in the past.)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
InAtlanta

Thank you for your help.. Maybe this will help someone else.

Post by InAtlanta »

What a great source of info. After reading the post this morning, I have solved my problems! (Well at least those related to Firefox errors. javascript:emoticon('\\:D/')
Dancing

Below is the message I posted in the Giveawayoftheday Board a few days ago since I first noticed my firewall issues while trying to activate one of their free downloads. Keep in mind that I am referring to the GOTD dl in the message below. Apologizes for making you read so much but the story sounds familiar I think.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Need some Help Please. I am getting a “Software Activation is not possible at this moment. Please try again later or check your firewall settings.”
I am running XP (all updates installed) and Mozilla Firefox. I DL’d MagicScore on July 11th with no issues. Now 5 days later i can not run the Activate for Photo Story. Don’t recall making any system changes that would stop the activation. All seems fine until I try to run the Activate program. I tried to do a restore prior to July 11th just in case something had been changed on my system but that didnt help. Any ideas?

JefferyG... are u still out there? did i understand your posting from a few months ago correctly - you d/l'd and activated with no issues, then the next day you could not activate the d/l of the day? Seems to me this points to an issue on GOTD side (ass-u-me no changes to your computer of course).

Bubby - Does GOTD limit the number of downloads to an IP address?

I have Bellsouth as an ISP provider with a netgear wireless router and a netopia modem... Hardware that successfully downloaded and activated DemoCreator and MagicScore (and Glary Utility) is the same that was unsuccessful with WonderShare and today with Snaplogger...
I tried around 7am EST then 7.30am then many times at night up to midnight to activate PhotoStory with no luck
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So waht did I do that worked?? I tried everything I could think of - I disabled the XP firewall, turned my modem and wireless router on and off, checked settings after settings, ran the little script program referenced above with no RED issues found - then fianlly I deleted an old copy of Norton not in use since 2006 AND Windows Defender. I am using AVG to protect me from the nasties out there. I am now back on line with FF 2.0.0.5 and my GOTD is working fine now - NO FIREWALL ISSUES!! :banana: :banana:

So that's my history, my solutions and the happy end results. Hope this helps.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Good show... glad it worked....

Where would we be without Norton.... :crazyeyes: A lot less busy, I reckon...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
madnehyra

Post by madnehyra »

Thanks, steviex, for addressing my post. Here's what EnumProcess came up with:

[System Process]
System
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Client Server Runtime Process)
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Services and Controller app)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (Microsoft Corporation / LSA Shell (Export Version))
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)
svchost.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe (Nero AG / incdsrv)
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Explorer)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Spooler SubSystem App)
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe (Apple Computer, Inc. / Bonjour Service)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe (Computer Associates International, Inc. / CA ISafe Service)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe (Computer Associates International, Inc. / CA Antivirus Realtime Messaging Service)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe (Zone Labs, LLC / TrueVector Service)
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE (Realtek Semiconductor Corp. / Realtek Sound Manager)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe (S3 Graphics, Inc. / )
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTtrayp.exe (S3 Graphics Co., Ltd. / s3contrl (32-bit))
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe (Nero AG / InCD)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\caissdt.exe (Computer Associates International, Inc. / CA ISS Dashboard Tray)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware\PPActiveDetection.exe (Computer Associates / eTrust PestPatrol background protection application)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-4.0.380.0\QOELoader.exe (Computer Associates, Inc. / QOELoader Application)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe (Computer Associates International, Inc. / CA Antivirus System Tray Application)
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe (Computer Associates International, Inc. / CA Antivirus Realtime Infection Report)
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe (Apple Computer, Inc. / )
C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero PhotoShow\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe (Ahead Software / Nero PhotoShow Media Manager)
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Messenger)
C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\ISP6300\Browser\Bartshel.exe (PeoplePC / BartShell Module)
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe (KODAK EasyShare Software)
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\ISP6300\Browser\PPShared.exe (PeoplePC / PPShared Module)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Security Center Notification App)
alg.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Application Layer Gateway Service)
C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\ISP6300\Browser\Bartshel.exe (PeoplePC / BartShell Module)
C:\Program Files\PeoplePC Accelerated\PeoplePC.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Internet Explorer)
C:\Documents and Settings\Alli and Gary\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1OWZ5DC5\EnumProcess[1].exe (Me, myself and I / EnumProcess)

I don't use Zone Alarm or Zone Labs or whatever it is as my provider (actually, I was using eZTrust or something or other, but it recently expired). I had no idea that was even on there (Zone Alarm, that is). Never heard of it until I started trying to figure out why Firefox wouldn't work. I've fiddled with the XP firewall, but to no avail.

I'm a tad computer illiterate, bear with me. THANKS!
steviex

Post by steviex »

Well you still have the CA suite running, even though it has expired, and Zone alarm too, so there may be a conflict.between the two.
I would recommend uninstalling both sets of software, then installing the software of your choice.

The best thing to do, is to go to the products respective help pages to get removal instructions.
Last edited by steviex on July 22nd, 2007, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bender3535

Post by Bender3535 »

I completely uninstalled all Norton products (found a link to the uninstaller elsewhere on this forum) and re-installed, now I am OK. Well, except that my Intel ProSet software that's controlling the wireless connection now won't run anymore (something about a profile database being locked), but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Thanks for caring.
steviex

Post by steviex »

^ No worries.... :) Perhaps a reset to defaults may help with your Proset (Cue fevered rummage for the set-up discs)

madnehyra

Post by madnehyra »

Excuse me while I dance with joy because I have Firefox back! I uninstalled the CA suite that was supposed to be expired and Firefox came right up!

THANKS!
steviex

Post by steviex »

Good show... Another cure administered..... Cue Fanfare......

Edit... I'm closing this thread, as it unwieldy at 25 pages.... Please start a new thread for these issues.