addon install errors 261 and 207

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gumbajoe

addon install errors 261 and 207

Post by gumbajoe »

Every one of the add-ons I am trying to install onto Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my computer running Vista Business are giving me an install error: Noscript, adblock plus, and ie tab. I tried several other random add-ons and got the same errors.

I tried to install them from the firefox add-on page, where I get the error

firefox could not install the file at
(file location)
because: invalid hash file (possible download corruption) - 261

When I save the XPI file to the hard disk then trying to open them with the control O function with Mozilla itself: the error says

firefox could not install the file at
(file location)
because: not a valid install package - 207.

I have looked through previous posts on this topic and tried turning off my antivirus and windows defender, rebooting then trying to install the extensions - same error. I am not running spybot with teatimer.

I cannot believe all of these add-ons are corrupt - I installed them on firefox on my PC running Windows XP with no problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling firefox did not help.

Does anyone have any other idead?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Have you tried the suggestions here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... _-_Firefox (try the corrupt file section)

Also you can Drag the .xpi file to the Addons Window...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
gumbajoe

Post by gumbajoe »

Thanks for the link, but still no luck.

Tried clearing the extensions in my profile - no luck.

Tried dragging xpi file to the addons window, no luck.

I don't get the popup saying that I need to give permission to install the addon.

Javascript is enabled.

Help!
steviex

Post by steviex »

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
gumbajoe

Post by gumbajoe »

Thanks for the idea. I can't get the profile manager to start in Vista: when I enter firefox.exe -profilemanager into the search box on vista after shutting down firefox, firefox just starts again. The profile manager never starts.

I manually deleted my profile in the users folder and had mozilla generate a new profile. Same problem with the install errors.

Any other ideas?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Save one of these themes http://www.spuler.us/ to your hard drive and then drag it into the description side of your Addons Manager. Please do NOT use any form of 3rd party Download Manger for this.

The Addons site has had problems with it's download/install side before and we need to eliminate that side first.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Extensions .xpi files and Themes .jar are zip archives, so you can test them with a (zip) archive manager that has that option like 7-zip ( http://www.7-zip.org/ ).

The most likely cause for corrupted downloads are anti-virus checkers that do not wait until Firefox has finished the download but already scan and lock the incomplete file in the cache or the temp location where Firefox stores it during the downloading.
gumbajoe

Post by gumbajoe »

Thanks for the ideas, I will try them out shortly.

Does anyone know why my profile manager will not start?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You have to make sure that all firefox.exe processes are ended including the preloader if you use it.
Check that in the Task Manager on the Processes tab.
Otherwise Firefox will open a new window or tab and ignore the -profilemanager commandline switch.
See: Kill_Application_(KB)
gumbajoe

Post by gumbajoe »

OK, tried to open the extension using 7zip and got the message adblock_plus-0.7.5.1-fx+tb+sm+fl.xpi is not supported archive

Maybe the files are being corrupted somehow during the download?

I will try to download the extensions to another machine, move them over, then try installing again.
gumbajoe

Post by gumbajoe »

OK. looked at the files I had downloaded onto the laptop - all 1 KB - looks like dickvl was right! I hadn't looked at the downloaded xpi files in detail view like I usually do or I would have suspected something was up.

The manual download on other PC-transfer to laptop -install on laptop trick worked.

The profile manager is still a mystery - I checked all applications and processes running on the task manager and couldn't find any instances of firefox, but the program still just opens firefox rather than the task manager when I enter firefox.exe -profilemanager into the search box on vista. I don't see the profilemanager when enter the previous into the search box - maybe it is missing on the install - I used the standard install, maybe I will try the custom install and make sure it gets installed.

Thanks everybody!
steviex

Post by steviex »

Does the Profile Manager come up after the computer is rebooted... ? Have you tried making a shortcut to access the Profile Manager.
Try using the full path... or using P instead of profilemanager ..... more info here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Hmm have a look here too .... I sincerely hope you don't have more serious problems http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open