MozillaZine

Print preview eats memory, never finishes

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
-Barry-

Post Posted February 27th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Am I not waiting long enough for print preview to finish for http://www.polisource.com/consumer-protection.shtml or is it a bug? I'm running FF 2.0.0.2.

-Barry-

Post Posted February 27th, 2007, 11:28 pm

I reported it in a reply to an existing bug report, here.

-Barry-

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 12:48 am

The bug is supposedly fixed, but it still existed in the latest Firefox update. During the hang I tried closing the print preview dialog box, I reported the error to Microsoft via the "program has to close" dialog box, and I clicked a link for more information, which brought me to a screen that said:
Problem caused by Firefox

This problem was caused by Firefox.

Recommendation

---------------------------------------------------------

The support for Firefox is community-based. Typically, this type of support group offers information and resources in a forum format about issues that other users have experienced with Firefox. In the forum, you can research the problem with Firefox, or you can ask the group a question about the problem.

To access the support group, go to the website online.

Mozilla Inc.
There was an option to comment, so I said:
I tried "print preview" in Firefox. It caused Firefox to hang. This is a known bug, as indicated in the bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=323652. It still exists in the current stable version of Firefox (2.0.0.6).

I'd like to see more cooperation between Microsoft and Mozilla so this information would be available on Microsoft's "Windows Error Reporting" page rather than just a referral to Mozilla's support group. Windows error reports for some other software are more specific. I'd also like to know what upcoming version of Firefox will have the fix because I downloaded an update since the bug status was listed as "resolved/fixed" but the problem still exists.
Last edited by -Barry- on August 3rd, 2007, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 1:05 am

-Barry- wrote:The bug is supposedly fixed, but it still existed in the latest Firefox update.

It is Fixed.. on the unstable developmental Minefield "Trunk" that is, but not on the Mozilla 1.8 Branch behind Firefox 2.0.0.x

The Minefield Trunk is where the early part of Firefox 3.0 is being developed on until it branches off as Mozilla 1.9 branch. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=572375

The Minefield Trunk nightlies are primarily meant for developers and hard core testers (not for those who think 2.0.0.6 is the latest), so if you want to try a current Trunk nightly, do make a new profile to use with the Trunk nightly and not share the profile your using with 2.0.0.6 if you care about the settings like Bookmarks and other things you use with 2.0.0.6.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
You may want to first backup the profile you use with 2.0.0.6 in case. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7pre) Gecko/20070802 BonEcho/2.0.0.7pre ID:2007080203

-Barry-

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 1:19 am

Yeah, I figured, but it would be nice if it said so in the obvious places, like the bug report page and Microsoft's error report page for that bug. I guess Microsoft doesn't have a signature for that bug. It just knows that Firefox had to close. When some other applications have to close Microsoft provides more information.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 5:41 am

1. Microsoft doesn't know anything or care about Firefox bugs. I don't know any reason to even bother reporting them. And MS doesn't know Fx has to close. That's actually Firefox that has determined that something is wrong.

2. If Firefox closed when it shouldn't, that's another bug, not the one you commented in.

3. It's hardly ever a good idea to comment in a bug report to say that you have a problem too. If the bug is confirmed, then it's not necessary to confirm it again. Such comments are basically nonproductive and get in the way. Instead you can vote for a bug, although that probably isn't worth much, unfortunately.

4. Unfortunately, bug reports don't report the current status very clearly, and often not at all. The bug reports are mainly for the use of people fixing bugs. I once made the embarrassing mistake of reading a bug report that requested a new feature. The report was so old and marked FIXED, but Fx still didn't have the feature. So I asked when we were going to get it. Turned out it had come and gone already.

the-edmeister

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 11:44 am

-Barry-,

Do you have Talback installed? Take a look at your Tools > Addons. It gets installed very randomly (by design) with a standard installation, but if you do a Custom installation of Firefox you can select it to be installed.
Talkback ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talkback ) is Mozilla's error feedback agent and is used by the developers to improve Firefox.

I always allow the Talkback reports to be sent, but don't bother allowing the MS reports to be sent for Firefox-related problems.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

-Barry-

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 1:20 pm

Yes, talkback is installed but I don't think it gave me the option to say anything. I don't think Firefox detected an error. It was just waiting way too long for print preview to finish, then I tried closing the print preview dialog box and I got a request to send an error report to Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't know anything or care about Firefox bugs.

This is the type of error report that I got, except it's for an Adobe problem. In that case, Microsoft knows that "Adobe Systems Inc. does not currently have a solution for the problem..." Here's a report about a Palm Desktop issue that says "Microsoft has been unable to contact the manufacturer..." I think Microsoft cares, but some companies that make products that run on Windows don't seem to want to bother providing information to Microsoft.

I wonder if Microsoft has contacted the Mozilla Foundation to inquire about Firefox bugs. I see in the "About" information that the copyright holder for Firefox is "contributers." Maybe that's what Microsoft uses to determine who to contact and they figure there's nobody in particular to contact. Or maybe there are too many bugs in software as complex as a browser to make it worth answering Microsoft's queries about each one.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted August 3rd, 2007, 2:18 pm

Fancy, but I think it's probably useless in this case. Use Talkback.

Return to Firefox Bugs