Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
trolly

Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

Post by trolly »

If you get the message "Software Update Failed. One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Firefox to try again." check if you have the Spybot TeaTimer active. If yes disable it.
perrygenie wrote:To disable teatimer in spybot go to mode,then advanced,then tools,then resident,uncheck teatimer.

Another cause can be the Logitech camera software.
If you have a "QuickCam 10.exe" process, disconnect your camera and terminate the process.
Edit: It seems to be enough to terminate the software from its tray icon.

Spyware Blaster is another candidate. See here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 55#2995155 (further down here)

Security software can also block updates. So switch them off if you get problems.
For AVG Virus scanner it was confirmed. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 57#2995457
Comodo Antivirus was also reported. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 94#3250294

Latest news:
The Aqua Dock tool can cause that problem too. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 10#3062910

One specific hint for Windows:
If you have multiple users on your machine be sure all other users are correctly logged out. Sleeping sessions with an open firefox can also block the update.

If you are using a limited user account it is a known problem (and bug). In this case you have to either run firefox once as admin to update or grant the user access to the firefox files.

If you like to play you can try Unlocker to check which process is holding the lock.

If not the easiest solution is to install Firefox in a new folder. After a reboot you should be able to uninstall the old version and remove the folder.

Please post only solutions or questions about the offered solutions. If you still can not update make a new thread.
Thank you.
Last edited by trolly on May 4th, 2008, 2:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Old clc

Post by Old clc »

T:

Is closing Tea Timer something I need to do moving forward with future updates? 2.0.0.6 is the first update I've had issues with...
trolly

Post by trolly »

As far as i see it you have to terminate Teatimer before updating. After the update you can enable it again. Seems to be some sort of protection against unauthorized access.
Did you had TeaTimer when you updated the last time?
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Old clc

Post by Old clc »

Yes, it's been inplace for a few years now, and I never had any problems with the previous updates. The only new thing is the McAfee stuff that came with the Comcast high speed that I just went to. Maybe that has some effect also......
Zed_Red

Post by Zed_Red »

I got the same problem updating to Firefox 2.0.0.6, also have to disable the Teatimer. I have no problems the last time I updated to Firefox 2.0.0.5. But I updated the Spybot/Teatimer on July 30th. I thought it was the Norton Internet Security thats causing the non-updated, since I got two updates from them that requires rebooting the system in the last few day. Finally downloaded the Firefox 2.0.0.6
BlueEyed75

Same Problem

Post by BlueEyed75 »

I also have this message popping up since the update... but what is TeaTime? Did it come with Firefox? And if so.. where do I find it in order to disable it? This message coming up is getting annoying.
Help!

Thanks
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Teatime is install with SpybotSD
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
trolly

Post by trolly »

I added this one to the initial post:
perrygenie wrote:To disable teatimer in spybot go to mode,then advanced,then tools,then resident,uncheck teatimer.
monkeyv

Post by monkeyv »

Even with teatimer disabled firefox wasn't updating. I then disabled all protections in spyware blaster and then firefox updated just fine. Its the current version of spyware blaster with the newest update.
deconstruction

Post by deconstruction »

I had the update / installation issue with 2.0.0.6.
Disabling TeaTimer fixed it.
Thanks for the tip!
Kil4Thril

Post by Kil4Thril »

I have just found that my AVG virus scanner was blocking my installation and giving me the same error message described in teh original post. I hope this helps.
sbt

Post by sbt »

"confirm":
kill teatimer in win task manager, allows ff 2.0.0.6 to install.

ff 2.0.0.5 also fails to install showing same error message, suggesting that safer-networking has updated teatimer since ff 2.0.0.5 was released (and installed the first time).

(fwiw, win xp sp2 home)
dont have one

this is really sad

Post by dont have one »

Keep getting the message from a user account in Windows XP, but the admin account is fine. I believe the issue is with the inability of the user account to do things, like install programs. It is really sad that I can find no information on what to delete (it is in the registry some where - my thinking) so it will stop trying to update.

The admin launch has no issue, just the user launch. Is there a way to force it to check for updates again, so it will know it is the latest version?

Is there something other than the activ*.xml to delete.

Why won't you just let us know how to tell it to stop trying to update it self (now that it thinks there is an update it needs to install). I know you are going to say turn off updating in tools and options bla bla bla, that is done. Please comprehend, it wants to install and update becauce the program checked for an update at one point in time. It cant update because the account that is launching doesnt have the privlage. Have uninstalled and deleted all mozilla folders that I could find from the admin account. Reinstalled. Admin launch is fine, Guest account launched with error (wants to update to 2.0.0.4) but cant. However checking version it is at 2.0.0.6.

Where did the 2.0.0.3 version store the information that keeps telling it to update to 2.0.0.4, why doesnt the install of 2.0.0.6 clear this setting.

Help
trolly

Post by trolly »

<del>The update is stored on a per-profile base. So the admin does have another place to store the update than the limited users.</del> But once the update is installed (from an admin account) all users get the updated version. So you have to remove the pending update <del>in the limited users acounts</del>.
Instructions are here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version
dont have one

oh happy day

Post by dont have one »

finally solved it...

Had to use above suggestion, but the suggested article omitted that these files are hidden. However this alone was not enough (deleting the 2 xml files).

Had to from the admin account, after showing hidden files in explorer, go into the documents and settings folder. Then found the folder for the guest account and renamed it (so I had a back up of it). Then I logged off the admin and back on the guest account.

It created a new folder for the guest account in the documents and settings folder. Fire Fox now launches with out the error.

The two files ...xml that were suggested being deleted DID NOT solve the problem, but are part of it.

Thanks for the help on the issue.