what happened to config.trim_on_minimize?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
tanstaafl

what happened to config.trim_on_minimize?

Post by tanstaafl »

Somebody mentioned in the Thunderbird support forum that config.trim_on_minimize was not defined in 1.5.0.9 so I looked in my version 2 beta 2 (20070219) build. There was no sign of it using the config editor or in the mailnews.js file . I had changed its default value shortly after installing 1.5. I added it and it had no effect (as expected).

Why is it gone? It was a very useful way to minimize the side effects of memory leaks.

As an aside it would be nice if Thunderbird either listed or asked permission before deleting any preferences from prefs.js.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Config.trim_on_minimize
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I thought you always had to ADD it, that it wasn't there by default...
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

smsmith wrote:I thought you always had to ADD it, that it wasn't there by default...

Yep.
Caveats

This preference does not exist by default.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Curious. I don't seem to have the memory leaks, but was wondering if the config edit works the same when minimizing to the tray like if using RBTray?

Edit: Nope. It doesn't work when minimizing to the Tray.
Last edited by Old Bozz on February 20th, 2007, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berniedurfee

Post by berniedurfee »

Thanks, I did not see the caveats.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Whether or not it exists by default is not the issue. I had added/modified that setting back when I used 1.5 RC2 and checked that it still worked several versions later. I'm still using the same prefs.js file and all traces of it are gone. When I add it, it does nothing. It used to have a very noticeable effect.

How come after all this time it still isn't listed in mailnews.js or all-thunderbird.js? I couldn't find any references to config.trim_on_minimize or trim_on_minimize in the sources using http://lxr.mozilla.org/mailnews/ . Has anybody who added the setting gotten it to do anything?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I just tried it:
Mem Usage before minimize = 36,000 +/-
Mem Usage directly afterwards = 6,000 +/-

Although, usage tends to creep over time, but usually ebbs around 12,000 +/-.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20070218 Thunderbird/2.0pre ID:2007021804
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I tested it again (I didn't change the setting) and this time it dropped from 24MB to 3MB, and then jumped to 12MB when I maximized it. It now works every time I try it. At this point I'm not sure if I made some stupid mistake beforehand or if there is something flaky with my configuration. Thanks for confirming you got it to work.
mscott

Post by mscott »

tanstaafl wrote:Whether or not it exists by default is not the issue. I had added/modified that setting back when I used 1.5 RC2 and checked that it still worked several versions later. I'm still using the same prefs.js file and all traces of it are gone. When I add it, it does nothing. It used to have a very noticeable effect.

How come after all this time it still isn't listed in mailnews.js or all-thunderbird.js? I couldn't find any references to config.trim_on_minimize or trim_on_minimize in the sources using http://lxr.mozilla.org/mailnews/ . Has anybody who added the setting gotten it to do anything?

You searched in the wrong directory. It's used in the mozilla widget code on Windows:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/search?s ... kytricky=1
Thunderbirds are Go!
dekoninck

Post by dekoninck »

Should this setting work if I am using the Minimize to Tray extension? Does not seeem to the work... in Firefox 2.0.0.6. But the having extension disabled, it is the same.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

I use RBTray and for the above to work I have to minimize to the task bar first and then to the tray. It might be the same for the extension your using.
dekoninck

Post by dekoninck »

Too bad, no change in the memory usage :(
peter.kehl

Re: what happened to config.trim_on_minimize?

Post by peter.kehl »

Code: Select all

config.trim_on_minimize
has no effect. Removed as per https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1325503.
trolly

Re: what happened to config.trim_on_minimize?

Post by trolly »

I doubt this is interesting for anybody after 12 years. Locking.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.