Alternating message subject lines garbled

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
flinthillsdesign

Alternating message subject lines garbled

Post by flinthillsdesign »

Hope I'm doing this right.

I just updated to TB version 2.0.0.6. My message subject lines are garbled on alternating lines. making it hard to scan through my messages, as I can NOT read them.

Debra Myers
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

wbertram

Post by wbertram »

The alternating lines showed up here after the upgrade to version 2.0.0.6.

Any solution in sight? I use no themes or zebra lines, and no video driver updates are available. I have never seen this with previous version of Thunderbird 2.

Can we go back to version 2.0.0.5?
jiggitykid

Same Problem

Post by jiggitykid »

Same problem with garbled text in message title. Whitehart works but is exceedingly ugly. The info to change code is entirely too difficult for novice email users.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Did either of you try the hotfix add-on which is supposed to fix this problem for the default theme? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/5204

Also, you are saying that you didn't see any display problems up to 2.0.0.5 but now after upgrading to 2.0.0.6? Everybody having nVidia graphic cards or are other cards affected as well? This would be worrisome if we see further regression here...
Lawman13

Post by Lawman13 »

I had the identical problem with garbled message titles (also, as some with that problem have reported elsewhere, a problem with Acrobat Reader 8.0 and a minor problem with Firefox tabs). I'm running Win XP Pro with an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro graphics card.

After I updated my NVIDIA drivers to 6.14.10.5673, all the problems were cured. The message titles now display correctly, including the "zebra striping".
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, this is one of the affected cards mentioned in the bug report, good that upgrading the driver worked here. The rationale of asking the others from which version they upgraded to 2.0.0.6 was to figured out if something happened between the latest two back-to-back upgrades.

If the problem is observed the first time when going from 1.5.0.12 to 2.0.0.6, that would be expected since the old 1.5 versions didn't use those features. If the message garbling occurs first time from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 as reported by wbertram, this means that something else must have changed within those 10 days between the updates.

Also, there is at least one report that the issue occurred first time after running Windows Update. Thus, they might have been one patch among those updates triggering the issue for whatever reason. Either of you observed this in your cases?
wbertram

Post by wbertram »

wbertram wrote:The alternating lines showed up here after the upgrade to version 2.0.0.6.

Any solution in sight? I use no themes or zebra lines, and no video driver updates are available. I have never seen this with previous version of Thunderbird 2.

I followed the instructions in the following link to disable "zebrastriping", and it solved my problem. Finding the proper place to place userChrome.css file was a challenge, though. Look for

....Mozila\Profiles\xxxxx\yyyyy\Chrome

Post by Guest »

wbertram wrote:
wbertram wrote:The alternating lines showed up here after the upgrade to version 2.0.0.6.

I followed the instructions in the following link to disable "zebrastriping", and it solved my problem. Finding the proper place to place userChrome.css file was a challenge, though. Look for

....Mozila\Profiles\xxxxx\yyyyy\Chrome

Here is the link

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Zebra_striping
flinthillsdesign

Post by flinthillsdesign »

rsx11m wrote:Did either of you try the hotfix add-on which is supposed to fix this problem for the default theme? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/5204

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!! That seems to of worked! =D>

Debra Myers
bjkeefe

My workaround experience - two solutions, one is preferable

Post by bjkeefe »

I upgraded from version 1.5.0.12 to version 2.0.0.6 this morning, when Thunderbird notified me of an available update. (I was surprised that the upgrade to a new major version number was delivered this way, but that's a little off-topic.)

I experienced the problem of garbage in the messages pane that others have reported. Specifically, text appeared to be overwritten, and moving through the messages using the up and down arrow keys caused weird highlighting, as though every other message was being selected. The problems did not go away if I viewed a folder with only a few messages, as has been suggested. I verified this by looking at another account/profile, which has almost no mail -- the problem appeared with only five messages in the folder. Also, lack of folder compacting cannot explain the issue: I have Tbird set to compact folders automatically "when it will save over 100 KB."

The key to the problem seems to be my specific graphics card. (Hardware details at the end of this post.)

I tried the hotfix addon suggested: Dao Gottwald's "<a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/5204">Hot Fix for 'garbage in folder contents pane' bug 1.0</a>." This did stop the display problems, but at the cost of removing the "zebra striping." I found this intolerable -- the zebra striping once seen becomes a must-have feature -- so I tried an alternate fix: turning down the hardware acceleration one notch from full (Control Panel -> Display -> Settings tab -> Advanced -> Troubleshooting tab). This seems to do the trick; i.e., the garbled text and weird highlighting are gone, and the zebra striping is still present.

Note: turning down the hardware acceleration also seems to fix the <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=482639">tab garbling problem</a> that Firefox 2 has had since release, and continues to have for certain graphics cards like mine.

Some details:
System: Dell Precision 330, 256 MB RAM
graphics card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro -- according to Windows, no driver updates are available for this through Windows Update, although it did offer other drivers to use in lieu of the current one.
Thunderbird settings: v2.0.0.6, default theme, no userChrome.css file, only addon installed is Talkback. Basically, as it comes "out of the box."

FWIW: The display problems do *not* present on my laptop, a Gateway Solo 9300, 256 MB RAM, same OS and Tbird version, graphics card: ATI Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2X, hardware acceleration set to full.

Further reading: <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352694">Mozilla bug 352694</a>

Hope this helps.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

@wbertram: Good that it worked, sorry for not being more explicit on the zebra striping and where to find the chrome folder. Once again, did you upgrade from 2.0.0.5 or 1.5.0.x?

@flinthillsdesign: You are welcome!

@bjkeefe: The idea behind performing an upgrade from 1.5.0.12 to 2.0.0.6 is that 1.5.x is no longer supported (i.e., that was the last version in this branch), thus people stay up to date with security patches. Whether or not loosing the zebra striping is tolerable is certainly a matter of personal taste, I switched them off because of the refresh problem (I have a GeForce2) but also because of performance issues (slowing down message scrolling noticeably). If you reduce the hardware acceleration as suggested as one of the options in Daifne's link, this may impact other applications if they need full acceleration to work properly. Thus, unfortunately, it's all kind of a trade-off that one has to make to work around this.
bjkeefe

reply to rsx11m

Post by bjkeefe »

rsx11m wrote:@bjkeefe: The idea behind performing an upgrade from 1.5.0.12 to 2.0.0.6 is that 1.5.x is no longer supported [...] Whether or not loosing the zebra striping is tolerable is certainly a matter of personal taste, I switched them off because of the refresh problem [...] If you reduce the hardware acceleration as suggested as one of the options in Daifne's link, this may impact other applications if they need full acceleration to work properly. Thus, unfortunately, it's all kind of a trade-off that one has to make to work around this.

I do understand the rationale behind the major upgrade, rsx11m, and, after coming across <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2846936#2846936">this</a>, I see that plans to do it through the automatic update channel have been in place for a while.

I just think that a major upgrade has the potential to be a bit of a harsh surprise. Imagine if, instead of just one home PC, I was in charge of a bunch of machines, all configured to apply updates automatically, and they all suddenly started displaying the glitch I experienced.

I do agree with you about zebra striping being a matter of taste. I don't usually scroll through long lists of messages, except by eye, so I'm not worried about a slowdown here: if I can see what I'm looking for, I can click it directly. I also agree with you that reducing hardware acceleration might affect other apps. So far, I haven't noticed it. If something crops up, I'll try to remember to note it in this forum.
James

Re: My workaround experience - two solutions, one is prefera

Post by James »

bjkeefe wrote:Note: turning down the hardware acceleration also seems to fix the <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=482639">tab garbling problem</a> that Firefox 2 has had since release, and continues to have for certain graphics cards like mine.

This has been in similar fashion on Thunderbird/Firefox for some four or so years now due to the TNT type of graphics cards and range of certain driver versions that had this glitch.

Firefox - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224279
Thunderbird - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=234248 (duped to 224279)
bjkeefe

Post by bjkeefe »

James wrote:This has been in similar fashion on Thunderbird/Firefox for some four or so years now due to the TNT type of graphics cards and range of certain driver versions that had this glitch.

James -- Sorry if I cluttered up the forum with old information. I didn't think that I had made a breakthrough, but I figured I'd post what I had learned, since it took me a long time to find the answer.

Also, thanks for the links.