Help Test Firebird 0.8 Branch!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bengoodger

Help Test Firebird 0.8 Branch!

Post by bengoodger »

Firebird 0.8 Branch nightlies are now available in the latest-0.8 folders on the site.

PLEASE TEST THESE BUILDS EXTENSIVELY

I'm no longer targeting a launch this year. I've uncovered enough scary bugs in the last couple of days to give me pause for thought on this, so I'm slipping it a couple of weeks or so... I'm now anticipating a release in the first week of the new year.

Pay special attention to:

The branch builds will contain some important changes that won't be able to make Seamonkey 1.6, so please note:

- binary files served by servers incorrectly sending text/plain should no longer be displayed as garbage in the browser, rather they should be appropriately handled.
- there is a new XPInstall FE. (More details on this later).

Please test these changes when the builds become available and report any critical problems.
Last edited by bengoodger on December 19th, 2003, 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Sweet!

I got notice thru email that you were applying the text/plain fix to branch builds only, so i am very eager to get a branch build to test this out. I'm even more interested to learn it will include the new extension installer too!
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

So this means that ->0.8 builds have the text/plain fix but the trunk builds do not?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

ummm, yes.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

In one word - WOW!

I thought mime type problem was never going to be fixed. Glad to have been proved wrong.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

it was just a matter of someone making a working fix, and a dev to come along, and go "yeah, cool" apply a few changes and slap it into the core :)
roomzeiss

Post by roomzeiss »

I'm not into this gardening thing ( branches, trees, plants, flowers etc. :wink: ). What does it mean to an ordinary user?
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

This is the current mozilla roadmap. If you turned it on its side it'd kind of look like a messed up tree. The heavy black line is the "trunk" and the little red lines sticking off are branches. The picture is a graphical description of what happens in the mozilla.org code management system.

The tree is built up of code contributions. Every time somebody submits a new version of a file, the tree advances along. When it comes time to create a release (e.g. Firebird 0.8 ) someone takes all the files at the top of the tree and tags them. From there, the files travel as a group and changes to the tagged files don't affect the files on the trunk. The both keep traveling along but changes from one don't affect the other.

Hope that was clear enough.

Oh, and bottom line: 0.8 is coming within the next week or so.
roomzeiss

Post by roomzeiss »

Thanks a lot mate :)
mai9

Re: Firebird 0.8 Branch Builds available soon

Post by mai9 »

roomzeiss wrote:What does it mean to an ordinary user?

maybe if you read this stripped quote you will understand:
bengoodger wrote:builds will contain some important changes:

- binary files served by servers incorrectly sending text/plain should no longer be displayed as garbage in the browser, rather they should be appropriately handled.
- there is a new XPInstall FE. (More details on this later).
jooliaan

Re: Firebird 0.8 Branch Builds available soon

Post by jooliaan »

bengoodger wrote:[...cut]
- binary files served by servers incorrectly sending text/plain should no longer be displayed as garbage in the browser, rather they should be appropriately handled[cut...]

Thousands of thanks to the developers :banana: and please allow me to applaud =D> myself for <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=26376">my hard-head</a> ;)
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Wooooohooo! Firebird 0.8 here we come.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Can't wait. Hope it arrives in time for Christmas!
!!!!cdn!

[ 129 ]

Post by !!!!cdn! »

ok, built the branch - still get this error

Code: Select all

Error: missing } after property list
Source Code:
InstallTrigger.install({ 'NoKeys': { URL: 'file:///cdn/downloads/nokeys/nokeys.xpi', IconURL: file:///cdn/www/img/sharc-2-8.50a.png } });

for this code

Code: Select all

<a href="#" onclick="InstallTrigger.install({ 'NoKeys': { URL: 'file:///cdn/downloads/nokeys/nokeys.xpi', IconURL: file:///cdn/www/img/sharc-2-8.50a.png } });">boing</a>
!!!!cdn!
-- http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/#chromedit -- http://themes.mozdev.org/ --
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-*; rv:*.*) Gecko/200*mmdd Mozilla Firebird/*.*
clav

Post by clav »

you surely need quote marks round the icon url?