[Ext] Speed Dial 0.1 : 4-15-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old joseprio

Re: Can´t get Speed Dial to work correctly

Post by Old joseprio »

mag_sol76 wrote:It is not a conflict with TMP as the problem persists even without TMP installed and/or activated

For the first issue (not showing when Firefox starts) can you check if it works by setting your homepage to "chrome://speeddial/content"?

I'll be working in the second one. My intention is to make it an option, so look for it once the new version is released in a couple of weeks (it will be 0.4).
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Philip Chee wrote:
joseprio wrote:I'll look into porting it after the next release. I'm quite sure it will be easier than with Firefox Showcase!

One question for you: Speed Dial needs Gecko 1.8.1 or newer. This is used in SeaMonkey since 1.1, right?
Thank you. Yes SeaMonkey 1.1 => Gecko 1.8.1. by the way you should get your extensions SuiteRunner ready as it's reasonably dogfoodable.

Phil

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it for sure (with both SeaMonkey Showcase and Speed Dial).
mag_sol76

Post by mag_sol76 »

joseprio wrote:
mag_sol76 wrote:It is not a conflict with TMP as the problem persists even without TMP installed and/or activated

For the first issue (not showing when Firefox starts) can you check if it works by setting your homepage to "chrome://speeddial/content"?

I'll be working in the second one. My intention is to make it an option, so look for it once the new version is released in a couple of weeks (it will be 0.4).

I have the homepage to that adress already. The problem is that the homepage doesn´t open when the last tab is forced to stay open (it´s just some blank page)
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

mag_sol76 wrote:I have the homepage to that adress already. The problem is that the homepage doesn´t open when the last tab is forced to stay open (it´s just some blank page)

Ok, it's clear now. I'll solve this problem in the next release!
Rivorus

Post by Rivorus »

I apologize if this was already suggested, but the one thing I find extremely unintuitive about Opera's speed dial is the fact that the order of numbers is

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Obviously this is done to mimic the order of touch-tone phones. The reason why I find this so unintuitive is that the keypad on a standard keyboard is

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

This means that if you are using the numbers of the keypad to access your speed dial sites, the order of rows is inverted, making it fairly confusing. It would be really nice if you would add an option to the extension that simply allows you to toggle the order in which the speed dial buttons are displayed so that they match a more keypad-oriented design.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Rivorus wrote:I apologize if this was already suggested, but the one thing I find extremely unintuitive about Opera's speed dial is the fact that the order of numbers is

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Obviously this is done to mimic the order of touch-tone phones. The reason why I find this so unintuitive is that the keypad on a standard keyboard is

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

This means that if you are using the numbers of the keypad to access your speed dial sites, the order of rows is inverted, making it fairly confusing. It would be really nice if you would add an option to the extension that simply allows you to toggle the order in which the speed dial buttons are displayed so that they match a more keypad-oriented design.

I totally agree! I'll add this feature, although not in next release (I want to have it ready as soon as possible).
Rivorus

Post by Rivorus »

Awesome. Thanks!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Yesterday I released the new version (0.4). New features are:
  • Number of rows and columns is now configurable.
  • Solved drag & drop not refreshing thumbnail correctly.
  • Added option to show Speed Dial when closing the last tab and the tab bar is always visible.
  • Speed Dial in new tab is disabled by default. In the case it is enabled, opening a new tab by double clicking the tab bar will load Speed Dial.
  • Better resize handling.
  • Added action buttons in the thumbnails: reload, deassign, open in new tab and open in new window. Reload button is visible by default.
  • Plugins in background browser are disabled by default. Added option to disable Javascript.
  • Fixed Speed Dial bookmarks menu entry in Firefox 3.
  • When adding/editing an entry, "http://" will be added to the address in case the user forgot to add it.
  • Added access to Speed Dial options from the different menu popups. Can be disabled in the options.
  • Added "Refresh All" action in Speed Dial's contextual menu.
  • Added localizations for German (de-DE, by Morgil).

It's awaiting review in AMO. For the time being, it can be also downloaded from Speed Dial's website.
I'm quite proud of this new release :) Feel free to post your thoughts about it here.
Rivorus

Post by Rivorus »

I just installed the new version and it's working/looking great.
GeekDrop

Post by GeekDrop »

Hi, for some reaosn after updating to 0.4, it doesn't want to show anymore when i click the New Tab button. Any way of fixing this? I have becomg quite addicted to this extension. Thanks!
GeekDrop.com
Help Community set in a Geeky Fashion ;)
Stop By Sometime!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

This is probably because the "Load in blank new tabs" option is deactivated. You can enable it on the Speed Dial options panel, "Main" tab, "Automatic load" section. Let me know if it works!
GeekDrop

Post by GeekDrop »

That did it! Thanks a million! LOVE the extension!!!
GeekDrop.com
Help Community set in a Geeky Fashion ;)
Stop By Sometime!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

NukeyDoo wrote:That did it! Thanks a million! LOVE the extension!!!

I'm glad it worked :)
ne081

Post by ne081 »

good job.this extension gets better and better.thanks
Juneau21

Post by Juneau21 »

Speed Dial is great, but does it only support 1-9 dials? what if i have a 4x4 or a 16 dials how will i open the 10-16 using only the (ctrl+1-9)shortcut? and are there any shortcut for opening it on a new tab instead of using the middle mouse button?

btw nice add-on