Server not found....again!!!

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Wait until you have a serious problem, like the one you posted here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 87#2630187 . Then try Trolly's program on a bunch of random Web sites you have not tried previously. Then you'll see how long it takes to return an IP address. Don't bother posting detailed results. I already know.

In case you're not sure what this does, it's just like a telephone directory service. If you want to call Santa Claus, you have to get his phone number first. Just for comparison, I just got an IP address in 3.6 seconds from another continent. It seldom takes much longer than that.
leederKrenon

Post by leederKrenon »

now that is wierd - Iv just installed zonealarm (6.5.737.000) - and both thunderbird & firefox have started working again.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It may have disabled your misbehaving other firewall when you installed it.
profitworld

"Server Not Found" Problems continue

Post by profitworld »

I continue to receive "server not found" on specific sites that I know are working as I can access them from my office computer.

I have tried holding down the shift key while clicking reload.

I have looked at the "hosts" file and do not locate a problem.

I have contacted my ISP. They say it is a problem with my browsers (Firefox and IE both have the same issue) as they have nothing showing on their end.

I do not know what else to check. Why . . . server not found only on my home computer.
profitworld

"Server Not Found" Problems continue

Post by profitworld »

I continue to receive "server not found" on specific sites that I know are working as I can access them from my office computer.

I have tried holding down the shift key while clicking reload.

I have looked at the "hosts" file and do not locate a problem.

I have contacted my ISP. They say it is a problem with my browsers (Firefox and IE both have the same issue) as they have nothing showing on their end.

I do not know what else to check. Why . . . server not found only on my home computer.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Looks like a dns problem. Some info: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website#DNS
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
PapawTurkey

Server not found

Post by PapawTurkey »

There are a couple of sites that I try to go to and I get the following:
<b>"Server not found</B>

Firefox can't find the server at www.newsmax.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

BUT if I open IE 7, I can go directly to the site. What can I do to correct this problem. I would rather use Firefox.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Just a test:
If firefox can not open the site and you have opened it in IE7 is firefox now able to load the page?
If not clear the DNS cache ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website#DNS ).
Still nothing? Disable the internal DNS cache ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dnsCacheEntries ).
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
PapawTurkey

Post by PapawTurkey »

trolly wrote:Just a test:
If firefox can not open the site and you have opened it in IE7 is firefox now able to load the page?
If not clear the DNS cache ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website#DNS ).
Still nothing? Disable the internal DNS cache ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dnsCacheEntries ).

Tried clearing the DNS cache and it didn't help. As for the Disabling the DNS cache, I'm not going to mess with the registry keys. I guess I'll have to use IE 7 for the sites blocked by Firefox.
trolly

Post by trolly »

No sites are blocked by FF and the settings are not in the registry. You can easily access those settings if you type about:config in the address bar.
I have no problems accessing this site.
You can try the "wdnslookup" tool mentioned in the first link and see what it reports.

What type of connection do you have?

What about the first test? Can firefox open the page if IE has loaded it?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I should add that when someone is helping with a problem, you'll solve the problem a lot faster if you answer ALL the questions. Otherwise, we're just guessing.
mummygeek

ok - I'll test this as I'm getting 'server not found' in FF2

Post by mummygeek »

This 'Server Not Found' (SNF) page has started appearing in the last two weeks. I'm using FF 2.0.0.6

I have read most of this thread and like others have experienced no problems in IE6 or 7. I am running 2 laptops here and they both are getting SNF in FF. Different URLs, different times - and after clicking Try Again a few times the page might appear.

What I have found that works (although i don't see any reason why it should) is go to another tab and refresh or click a link and if that resolves then go back to the tab that is showing me SNF and Try Again and it seems to work - almost like its been kicked up the arse by the working tab. Ridiculous I know but then so is this SNF error.

I have done the ipconfig /flushdns and that gave SNF on all tabs immediately and then 10 seconds later I could refresh all tabs successfully.

Erratic doesn't begin to explain it which is why I suspect this problem is ongoing ... ](*,)

I am now going here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#DNS to try everything !
trolly

Post by trolly »

You can replace your current DNS with OpenDNS.
There are hints that some extensions can disturb the DNS process but there is no proof for that at the moment.
jeddi

Server not found issue

Post by jeddi »

Ive been following this thread because I had this problem after updating FF.
This is a 100%firewall problem. Set your firewall to give it access. My firewall filters websites and now its fine.
I use NOD32 security.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

jeddi, please start a new thread if you have problems, as this one is very old n getting way too long.
Thank you for the feedback.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)