Newbie Question: How to Setup TB with a Valid Newsgroup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TonyPoderis

Newbie Question: How to Setup TB with a Valid Newsgroup

Post by TonyPoderis »

I've browsed through the TB help and the Part1 and Part2 article of setup and have not found any instruction for how to setup TB initially with a valid newsgroup. How is this done? Thanks in advance for any help. I don't know the first thing about newsgroups, but want to learn
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

First you need a newsgroup server. Contact your ISP to see if they have one you can use. Most do.
Once you have a server name, it is pretty much like setting up email. Just go through the Tools|Account Settings|Add Account button at the bottom, and then choose 'newsgroup', and "NEXT" through each panel filling in the boxes with the appropiate informaton.

I would caution about putting your real email address in the newsgroup account. I now use me@privacy.com for my newsgroup email address. If you want your real address there, put it there!
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
TonyPoderis

Post by TonyPoderis »

Thanks very much. I'll call my new Comcast ISP today --- was with ATT, but the soc.org.nonprofit newsgroup I frequented, I am sure was part of the Netscape listing of numerous newsgroups. I seem to recall seeing an enormously long scrolling of such groups and I simply found that one and "subscribed." I'm into non-profit fund-raising, and that has been a most desireable group for me.

Tony
http://www.raise-funds.com