Help Test Firebird 0.8 Branch!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
radTube

Re: Back to 0.7

Post by radTube »

Jeria wrote:
radTube wrote:Started getting random crashes after using the "0.8 latest" for an hour or so... Had to go back to using 0.7 for now.

Any specific url?

Sorry, but no. The first time was some webcomic or another, and then it started crashing almost instantly on startup.

I've had problems with the official linux builds before, but I'm too lazy/busy to even try compiling this myself unless someone creates an ebuild for gentoo :eyeroll2:.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Warduke wrote:I had to go back to 0.7 for two reasons.

First, any changes I make in Options are gone after I restart the browser. This is very annoying.

And when I installed an extension, linkVisitor, everything seemed fine, but then I installed the latest TBE and it killed the browser. It wouldn't start. I kept getting an error message. So I tried cleaning it up manually, no luck.

So back to 0.7 for me.

1. Probably a prefs.js problem, where the file will no longer accept changes. If that is correct, the problem's not with 0.8 (even though it is misnamed...), but, rather, with your profile.

2.If you mean "Linky,' there's a thread somewhere that it will not work with the latest TBE, the one on Piro's site. (I'm not sure what "linkVisitor" or 'Linky" are, which is why I worded this the way I did.)
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

I dont usually follow these forums much, so maybe this has been said before.
The issue is about appending new tabs and not opening the pages in the existing ones. I am not a personal fan of loosing the tabs you have open, but if it would be consistent behavior, then fine with me.
But the way it is now, is that when i press on the home button it appends the tabs (have several pages set as homepage) on my current ones, so for so good, but then when i have, lets say 3 tabs and choose "open in tabs" from a bookmark folder, it removes/replace the current tabs!
Shouldn't this be consistent? Either one way or the other, but not both, its confusing for users.
ronin65

I sure hope that this one includes...

Post by ronin65 »

some things that will make it worthwhile to use as a default browser that people have been requesting for a very long time.
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

John Liebson wrote:1. Probably a prefs.js problem, where the file will no longer accept changes. If that is correct, the problem's not with 0.8 (even though it is misnamed...), but, rather, with your profile.

2.If you mean "Linky,' there's a thread somewhere that it will not work with the latest TBE, the one on Piro's site. (I'm not sure what "linkVisitor" or 'Linky" are, which is why I worded this the way I did.)

I used a new profile, how can it be a prefs.js problem?

Linky's not the problem with TBE, since it's LinkVisitor I use. And they both work fine together in 0.7 and Mozilla 1.6b.
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

I might as well post the URL before anyone asks. Get the 0.8 RC's here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... atest-0.8/
Krypton

Post by Krypton »

Is anyone building 0.8 for Mac OS X?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Warduke wrote:
John Liebson wrote:1. Probably a prefs.js problem, where the file will no longer accept changes. If that is correct, the problem's not with 0.8 (even though it is misnamed...), but, rather, with your profile.

I used a new profile, how can it be a prefs.js problem?

Linky's not the problem with TBE, since it's LinkVisitor I use. And they both work fine together in 0.7 and Mozilla 1.6b.

I just thought of something--and that was so scary I gave up thinking....

You say that you were using the latest TBE, but were you really, the one on Piro's site, http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/xul.html.en ? Ver. 1.10.2003121501 is working rather well with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031217 Firebird/0.7+. I put it that way as I'd be having some Firebird startup problems, sometimes having to try three or four times before it would work, and I'm guessing that was caused by TBE--but do not know that, of course. A short while ago, I rebooted, and Firebird started the first time I tried it.

As for prefs.js, well, I don't know: A new profile ought to be okay, but then again, if the TBE you installed was not really the latest one, that could be causing some serious .js problems.
peaveyman

Post by peaveyman »

I have downloaded this build 3 times now, the .exe file. Everytime I run the setup, it works fine. But when I start Firebird, it still shows as a 12-16 build. Is this right?
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

bowhuntr wrote:I have downloaded this build 3 times now, the .exe file. Everytime I run the setup, it works fine. But when I start Firebird, it still shows as a 12-16 build. Is this right?

Something is wrong with my build machine. I'll look into it tonight.
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

bengoodger wrote:
bowhuntr wrote:I have downloaded this build 3 times now, the .exe file. Everytime I run the setup, it works fine. But when I start Firebird, it still shows as a 12-16 build. Is this right?

Something is wrong with my build machine. I'll look into it tonight.

I think I've fixed this now. A win32 installer that's up to date should be appearing in about 4 hours
peaveyman

Post by peaveyman »

Thanks. I will try it out when it comes up.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Darken wrote:I hope the mime type feature will be limited to binary files. Sometimes you get a html file sent as text/plain by a web server. Firebird displays it as text, IE displays it as html. I really do prefer the behaviour of Firebird. Otherwise with IE you are not able to send real text/plain documents which may contain the string "<html" anywhere in the text. What if you want to create a text tutorial about html ?

yes, it's only binary files. it detects if there are any non-ascii characters in the file, and if there are, it switches the content type to application/octet-stream, which will be downloaded.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Is there a section in buzilla for fb 0.8?, or do we file here?

1. Minor annoyance: I can only install two extensions in a row. At the end of the installation process of the second extension, FB crashes.

2. Moderate annoyance: Themer 2003-03-19 does not install a theme that installed on FB 0.7+ 2003-12-17.

3. Major annoyance (I can't use this build): This build retains zero mouse gesture customizations from the All-in-One Gestures extension.

All three of the above bugs are new to the 0.8 rc.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »