Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
hhh

Post by hhh »

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

I wonder if the alternate Gutsy ISO will install using Wubi. Will try later after work...
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
frcan

Post by frcan »

I hope they thought of making the new version easier to dual-boot with Vista, and that we will be able to order the CD. Downloading it directly, or through Wubi is almost impossible on dial-up.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Getting hold of the CD ... Look here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase You can buy the CDs here...
Or Order Free here https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

It looks like the Boot up system is getting a good working over... So you may be in luck....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Folding on Ubuntu boxen https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome

Feel free to fold for which ever team you prefer. ;)
tqft

Post by tqft »

Don't let them pressure you
http://seventeenorbust.com/

I know your dialup pain - am on Dapper and looked at updating to Feisty - wanted to download 1.2 GB - first to Edgy I think - and then I would have to do it again.

I order from shipit and hopefully it will let me update rather than reinstall - there was not an alternate option. Gutsy may be available before delivery of Feisty.

Saw Feisty on a magazine and almost grabbed it but 1) $15 is a bit much for something that is probably woefully out of date as they normally are (ie more dialup pain) -and 2) you don't know what you also may be getting (infection of some description - because the mag version normally has a bunch of other stuff as well you can't just check an MD5 of it).

Anyway - just got notified of a kernel source update - be building a kernel maybe Sunday at this rate.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Can we get back on topic , please.... After Installation Tips....

I think the best place to discuss Test Builds of the Gibbon is on the Ubuntu Builds Forum.
Don't forget it is an ALPHA 5 build and is not recommended for General use, unless you want to test it.

Discuss Folding on the Folding thread, Please.

(end of gentle prod)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
tqft

backup backup backup

Post by tqft »

Now you have a working system - back it up.

One cool trick with debian based systems I will be testing when my Fesity cd arrives is here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-get ... store.html

MAJOR EDIT
Grrr - didn't work - at least I have a list of what I had installed - doing it manual until i work out what is wrong
/* doen't work until the comment closes
dpkg --get-selections > /backup/installed-software.log
{shove name all installed packages into a file - note this only works for stuff installed with synaptic, apt-get and dpkg}

# dpkg --set-selections < /backup/installed-software.log
{tell package manner what you want reinstalled back in}

Now your list is imported use dselect or other tools to install the package.
# dselect

Select ‘i‘ for install the software.
*/

Or you could take the file installed-software.log and use it to duplicate setup on another machine

or if you have to reinstall because upgrade is too much drama you can put all those packes you forgot you installed but need back in - it should automagically go away and get the latest version.

If youare just reinstalling have a look at aptoncd - it is in the repository - burn all the deb files to cd - making yourown repository so you don't have to download everything again.
Last edited by tqft on September 5th, 2007, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old FatJohn

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 - After Installation Tips.

Post by old FatJohn »

Frank Lion wrote:2. Try to leave xorg.conf and other files alone.

Not to be taken literally, but just be aware that the innocent looking xorg.conf file, has the ability to leave your life in ruins, if you so much as look at it. If you are coming from Windows, think System32 type stuff and you'll get the drift. The fstab is another, nowhere near as bad, just very tiresome.

Be very wary of any old Linux user who starts by saying, 'Oh yes, just edit your xorg.conf with...'
What's the story Frank? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:
steviex

Post by steviex »

Well I tried it, and it went pear shaped (or to be exact... blank screen shaped)

hhh

Post by hhh »

steviex

Post by steviex »

Aha ... A link for frcan .... http://www.hevnikov.com/blog/2006/11/13 ... ot-screen/

Nice one. Thanks hhh ... Bookmarked

sergio eduardo
Folder@Home

Post by sergio eduardo »

Thanks hhh .
hhh

Post by hhh »

^^,^ no problem. Someone should post easy instructions for viewing embedded Quicktime, because I have no idea how I got it working.

-edit- from what I've read, stay away from Automatix.