Help! Firefox won't load sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ejbpesca

Help! Firefox won't load sites

Post by ejbpesca »

For the past few weeks FireFox will not load any website. I must hit "try again" about three times to get a site to load. I am wondering if this has something to do with a latest update.

I have turned off the firewall but this problem still happens.

Could someone please advise as how I get this fixed?
I want my Apple IIe back.
trolly

Post by trolly »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

Sure you switched off your firewall not just the UI?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Bill Redding

same

Post by Bill Redding »

Identical problem. If I shut off my firewall...I will then be unprotected. When would I turn it back on?

Thanks,
Bill :?
trolly

Post by trolly »

If you are sure that your firewall is the problem simply tell it to accept the new changed firefox.
This is usually done by removing firefox from the program control list and let the firewall redetect firefox.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
ejbpesca

I'm in trouble

Post by ejbpesca »

I wonder if my old computer is just not able to run the new FireFox. I've done everything but totally remove my security software and just have to hit retry over and over to get anywhere.
trolly

Post by trolly »

If you can run WXP you can run Firefox 2.0.0.6.
You can try the mentioned enumprocess tool to see if you have really disabled the firewall.

You can try the standard diagnostics.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
dizzy 7

Post by dizzy 7 »

I've been having the same problem for the last couple of weeks, except that mine only occurs occasionally. Most of the time, sites load with no problem, but maybe 1 time out of 20 I get the "unable to connect" error message. When I click "try again" the site always loads on the first try. Since it only occurs intermittently, I don't see how it could be a problem with my (Zone Alarm) firewall, but rather has something to do with the latest update of Firefox.
trolly

Post by trolly »

@dizzy: This is not a firewall but a DNS problem. It has most probably not anything to do with firefox.
Just a test: Does it disappear if you run a new profile without any extensions (add-ons)?
dizzy 7

Post by dizzy 7 »

trolly, do I have to uninstall Firefox in order to create a new profile, or is there an easier way? (Sorry, my technical level is not very high.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

No need to uninstall Firefox and even if you do: uninstalling Firefox doesn't affect the data that is stored in the Firefox profile folder.

You can create a test profile as a quick test to check if it is caused by your current profile:
Standard diagnostic: Create a new (test) profile
only enter a name for the new profile, do not click "Choose Folder" to specify a location)

Profile_Manager_(KB)
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows (KB)
dizzy 7

Post by dizzy 7 »

I created a new profile, but that didn't help, so i decided it had to be a DNS problem. I registered at Open DNS and started using their DNS servers rather than those of my ISP, and that seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for your help, trolley and dickvl. I never would have figured out what was wrong by myself.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Thanks for reporting. :-)
ejbpesca

Total clean out still have problems

Post by ejbpesca »

I blanked out my hard drive, reloaded the Window XP that came with it downloaded Firefox and still I have problems loading websites. I have to hit the (try again) button three times to get a site to load.

I guess this means hardware problems? The computer is five years old. Maybe it just needs replacing.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Not necessarily.
You can try http://www.opendns.com/ as dizzy did.
ejbpesca

DNS

Post by ejbpesca »

I did as you suggested from opendns.com and for the first time in weeks I am running smoothly again. My firewall is up, and mozilla is working for now. I don't even know what DNS is but I will shortly as I look it up. I can see the WinVirusPro pop up trying to get in but rejected. I think the WinAbetear.32 virus is now gone since I blanked out the hard drive.

Thank you for your help. I am a low level user and needed all I could get!
jb