Why is it so hard!!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Why is it so hard!!!!!

Post by Guest »

I'm a linux user. I'm setting up a linux computer for my girlfriend who isn't a linux user. I'm installing MozillaFirebird and I am so frustrated. Why is everything so dam hard when it comes to linux. I'm trying to add plugins for MozillaFirebird and as I'm doing it, I only think about the poor ole non-computer type people who will not be able to do what I am doing. Even reading the howto about plugins and installation instructions on the mozilla web site are very bad.

I'm a linux advocate. I've been preaching to all my friends how wonderful linux is. Unfortunately, I think I'm just blowing wind. A person who isn't really into computers will not be able to easilly install your product. Instead, I see them staying with Microsoft and IE. Very unfortunate. Something that could be much easier and could take over the world, will not because it's just too difficult for the average user.

Mad and frustrated.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

use gentoo and do emerge mozillafirebird
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
CurtC

Post by CurtC »

First, for "simple" computer users, I think of my mom, who is 74. She can use Windows, I'm sure she could use a Mac, but I don't think Linux is ready for this market.

As another point, I don't know what the Linux build for Firebird is like, but the Windows version is still distributed as a zip file, making it necessary to unzip it to the correct directories. Some day, like with 1.0, there will be an executable installation program, but for 0.x versions I don't expect this.

Post by Guest »

CurtC wrote:First, for "simple" computer users, I think of my mom, who is 74. She can use Windows, I'm sure she could use a Mac, but I don't think Linux is ready for this market.

As another point, I don't know what the Linux build for Firebird is like, but the Windows version is still distributed as a zip file, making it necessary to unzip it to the correct directories. Some day, like with 1.0, there will be an executable installation program, but for 0.x versions I don't expect this.

There is allready official instaler for 0.7 nightlies. So there will be official installer for 0.8, wwhich will be out in about a week
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

There's an unofficial installer for 0.7 and an official installer for most post 0.7 builds already. Check Burning Edge for a convenient rundown on available builds and their state of bugginess.
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

My wife uses a Solaris box sometimes and needs to ask for help. Our kids have no problems with Solaris though. I think that it's a mindset of playing around with things and not being afraid to experiment. The next generation that is exposed to multiple operating systems shouldn't have the problems that those only exposed to one OS does.
Dell Inspiron 8500 P4 M 2.0 Ghz 1 GB 40 GB XP Pro NVidia 64 MB WUXGA CME, CH, TBE , EZS Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040325 Firefox/0.8.0+ (mmoy-O2-GL7-SSE2-crc32-Zp16-quek013)
hartlandcat

Post by hartlandcat »

I shouldn't say this, but it might be easier for your girlfriend to use Konqueror.
Mac OS X Panther :: iBook G4

Post by Guest »

I do use gentoo. I emerged mozilla several times and received errors each time. ...because I didn't type "mozilla-firebird" correctly. Although I know how to figure out how to emerge the mozilla product, most people don't. An average person wouldn't be able to install Gentoo anyway.

Now when you have mozilla installed correctly, you usually want to add plugins. Just finding the mozilla plugin directory was a hoot. It sure would have been nice if the name mozilla firebird was standardized to one name and only one name. You got MozillaFirebird, mozilla-firebird, mozillafirebird, Mozilla-Firebird. Although not a biggie for an experienced user, its a bit tough for the average user.

Also, every time I try want to work with a Mozila product, I dread going to the damm website. I bet I've been to this website a hundred times over the last several years. Each and every time I get so lost trying to find out the right information. Whether it getting a plugin, or whatevery, this website isn't logically created so it is simple to find things. Even things you found before are tough to find again. I can't explain why, but it just is.

On the other hand, when I need to download or get info from MS, it just seems so much easier. And that pisses me off cause I hate MS. I know I'm sounding critical, but believe me, I want mozilla, linux, and open source to succeed....and to get to the average user, it all has to be much simpler. ...and we all know that!