Click link in TB => Firefox already running but not respo

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jeronimo

Click link in TB => Firefox already running but not respo

Post by jeronimo »

Recently I've been having some problems with links in other programs, especially Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. When Firefox is closed and I click a link in TB, Firefox opens the requested page. When Firefox is already open, I get the error message: "Firefox is already running, but is not responding...".

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.6, WinXP SP2 and it is responding just fine, I can copy and paste the link in a new tab, but I can't click the links in other programs anymore.

I don't know exactly when it started, but I'm guessing somewhere some setting is wrong.

Does anybody know how I can get it to work again?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using the -no-remote switch or the MOZ_NO_REMOTE environment variable to start Firefox?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

No, not with Firefox, but I am with Thunderbird.

Also, it's not happening all the time, and when I tried Firefox in safe mode yesterday, I didn't have the problem either. It just starts happening all of a sudden and the only solution I've found is closing Firefox (or copying and pasting the links in a new tab).

Thanks!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

There could be something wrong with the registry key(s) for the default browser.

You can try:
Force_Firefox_to_make_itself_the_default

Windows error opening Internet shortcut or local HTML file - Firefox (KB)
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

Thanks dickvl, I've forced firefox to set itself default and I've edited the suggested file types.

I'll let you know what happens.
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

No, that didn't work, I got the error straight away. I also restarted TB (perhaps that's the problem) and I got the same error again.

Could it be Thunderbird?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You wrote: "No, not with Firefox, but I am with Thunderbird "

How exactly are you starting Thunderbird and Firefox? (right click: Properties > Target line)
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

Firefox: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

Thunderbird: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -no-remote -p "jeronimo"

But I don't recall the problem starting with different user profiles in TB, I've had that for a long time.

Thank again!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try to start Tb without the no-remote switch.
You only need that switch if you want to launch a second instance of Tb with a separate profile.

Also you will need another profile for Tb if you click mail links in Firefox or otherwise try to send a link to Thunderbird: using that switch makes the program invisible for external access.
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

Thanks, so far, so good.

I'll keep you posted.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're welcome.

Dick