Background colors and tiling bookmark windows

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
donaldafm

Background colors and tiling bookmark windows

Post by donaldafm »

I've got two newbie problems, but I *did* search past posts first so I wouldn't waste people's time.

1. How can you change the default background color? I've been using a custom sky blue since Netscape 2.0 and it's annoying having either plain white, or one of the default colors.

2. My biggest complaint with *all* of the new browsers is that they handle bookmarks poorly. Netscape 4.x and down tiled bookmarks so you could see 100 at once. IE, Netscape 7, Mozilla all have the stupid scroll arrow (not even a scroll bar). And once you've scrolled down, then you have to scroll back up to get at a bookmark in the top of your list. Yes, I could nest a bunch of folders, but that's not a solution. Is there a way to get the bookmarks to tile, or at least to have a real scroll bar?

Thanks a bunch to all of you who are supporting this browser.

Don Steinmann
Old Bozz

Re: Background colors and tiling bookmark windows

Post by Old Bozz »

donaldafm wrote:
1. How can you change the default background color? I've been using a custom sky blue since Netscape 2.0 and it's annoying having either plain white, or one of the default colors.

See if this is what your looking for. Put in user.js. Edit as you like.

user_pref("browser.display.background_color", "#EBEBEB");

Tool

If you were using an image file, maybe someone else can help.

Post by Guest »

I located the prefs.js on my Win 98SE system in the obvious location (smile) of:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\ommqldan.slt\

I added a user.js file with just the following line in it:

user_pref("browser.display.background_color", "#99CCFF");

I then tried adding that line to the prefs.js file. Neither changes the background color. I have the settings in Firebird not to choose system colors and the default colors of background white in the browser setttings (I'm assuming the prefs.js file should override). What am I doing wrong?

Don

Post by Guest »

Nevermind. It *is* working. Thanks a lot Bozz. Now can anyone help me with my second question?

Thanks,

Don
scratch

Post by scratch »

i don't think there's any way to resolve that, at least not without some hardcore xul editing.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Nevermind. It *is* working. Thanks a lot Bozz. Now can anyone help me with my second question?

Thanks,

Don

Glad to help. :)