Cannot connect to www.google.com with Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

When you try to visit Google.com, is the error message still the same as in your first post?

Is there anyway you can get a screenshot and upload it to a photo site and link to it here?
J-Mac

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/4.0.1
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

Languages

English/United States [en-us]
fwmtan

Cannot load google images page

Post by fwmtan »

Just recently, the same problem occurred on my wife's laptop. Typing "www.google.com" brings up google, but clicking on the "Images" tabl produces the error message "Server Not Found. Firefox cannot find the server at images.google.com." A similar message appears for "Maps" and "News." But "Gmail" works. It started happening some time in the last few days. I tried deleting cookies and clearing private data, no change. The pages will load from the "cached" link on Google, but not the live link.
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

I do not know if it will help, but there is a screenshot here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DC ... dd9C2fea6w

In this, I typed www.google.com and hit enter. No matter which option I choose, Google does not come up. But it does work if I use http://64.233.167.147/.

Currently my thinking is that the problem started after I downloaded Google's Talk gadget, so I am thinking it is related. Maybe.
fwmtan

Post by fwmtan »

I have the solution, at least in my case. The clue is in the first post in this topic -- it works when you type in an IP address as a dotted quadruplet. So, it's likely that your domain name resolution is messed up. Open network connections, select the connection by which you are accessing the Internet, click "Properties," scroll down until you see TCP/IP, then click "Properties" again. Most people will have "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically." If you have "Use the following DNS server addresses" checked, with some server addresses entered in the boxes, try obtaining them automatically instead. In the case of my wife's computer, which had the same symptoms as yours, this fixed the problem.
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not work for me. At work I set the IP and DNS server addresses, but at home on my DSL it is set as obtain addresses automatically. I have the same set of problems on this laptop in both environment, but do not have the problem on any other computer at work.

Currently I am trying random things, like removing recent programs. Maybe I will wait for a full moon to see if it works then. :-)
trolly

Post by trolly »

You can try the inverse and set a DNS server like http://www.opendns.com/ .
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

Tried the openDNS server. It did not help. I am really considering waiting for the full moon because I can access Google via their IP address, which is basically what I need. Mostly it is simply my curiosity to understand the problem that motivates me to try random acts of Google Access.
purplemd1923

I also cannot use google.com or the google toolbar

Post by purplemd1923 »

Over the last week I cannot use google.com in address line or the google toolbar. I have also noticed that when other webpages use google "syndications" that they load incredibly slow on high speed. I have examined my firewall. I have cleared all cookies (not just google associated). I have ran virus software and adaware and spybot.

Whenever I try to use google it times out and then gives me the error page. I can go to every other web site that I have tried. I can go to other search engines that I have tried.

I cannot find that I have any settings that are locking this out and am not getting any messages that it is being blocked by my firewall or any other software. I have not changed any of the software other than standard updates.

I am also puzzled as to all of a sudden why I cannot use google or the toolbar search bar from google.

I tried using the number address of google but unlike the physicist this does not work for me I still get the same message.

Anyone with suggestions?
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

Misery loves company. Sorry you are having the same problem, but I am glad not to be alone. Have you tried another browser? I am able to use Internet Explorer.

My latest discovery was in trying various other search engines from Firefox. Went to www.yahoo.com and clicked on Image search. Running any image search resulted in the dialog box "firefox.exe - Application Error" and the message 'The instruction at "0x0178d24e referenced memory at "0x02b50000". The memory could not be "written".' Hmmmmm...

My thought now is to uninstall firefox, wipe the memory of firefox off my disk completely and re-install fresh. That is, when I have some free time. I can let you know if it helps.
purplebeemd1923

google googler googled

Post by purplebeemd1923 »

I uninstalled google photo thinga ma jig. That was the newest. I removed extensions and themes in firefox. There was one extension that I had not installed that had a picture of a fox and its title was a series of ? marks. ?????????. I couldn't find anything about it.

I tried Internet Explorer and cannot get to www.google.com with IE. I was going to uninstall everything google piece by piece because I think it may be google software causing conflict. The google screensaver/photo thing and Google video and such are the newest I think so they will go.

I hit the google desktop icon on my toolbar and low and behold it opened up google in firefox. I entered a search and it searched. Wow I was googling. So I don't know what the conflict is. I am going to try uninstalling some google items and reinstalling before I try that with firefox. I figure it is shorter and easier. Plus the Google Desktop let me GOOGLE AGAIN. Oh it doesn't take much to excite me today.

I hope someone figures this out. I think we must all be having the same problem.

I am running AVG antivirus, using Lavasoft Adaware, McAfee Site Advisor. I have used CCleaner but not recently.
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

There are some differences between the problems we are seeing, but I have lots of Google gadgets on my laptop so let me know if anything works.

There is something strange about my system (i.e., the yahoo problem, and others) and I am re-running Norton Anti-virus, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Ad-watch and SuperAntiSpyware. I ran all these a few days ago and there was nothing. I am considering a Windows system restore to a more pleasant time, long ago. Again, it will wait until I have spare free time.
rw

Post by rw »

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a pretty nasty piece of spyware called antivirgear that was causing that among other problems. downloaded a freeware program called Smitfraudfix and that took care of it.
Good luck
trolly

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
iPhysicist

Post by iPhysicist »

Good news!

I tried the instructions in http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php and it initially seems to have worked for me. Time will tell, but my first impression is quite positive. And relief. Previously I had to work around a lot of things.

Thanks everyone!