[Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

Philip Chee wrote:In the mean time, if you know how to do so, you could locate the chrome.manifest associated with Console2 and delete or comment out the last two lines, the ones that say:

Code: Select all

override   chrome://global/content/bindings/richlistbox.xml   chrome://console2/content/global/richlistbox.xml
override   chrome://global/skin/richlistbox.css   chrome://console2/skin/richlistbox.css

Phil

Phil,
First of all, does Console2 have to be enabled for me to do this. Yes, I am a novice, so I really don't know. I would think that as long as I haven't actually removed the extension, the code should still be in place. Is that right? I am completely new to this. mcdavis has helped me start to use the DOM Inspector. Is that the tool I would use to do this, or is this something I have to manually locate in my profile directory?

If I can use DOM, is there a way to search for those lines of code? And if so, can I edit them using DOM? Sorry for those who think I shouldn't ask this here. But the fact is, by answering this question, others like me who are novices will also be educated to not have to ask the same or similar question.

Shingoshi
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

mcdavis941 wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:So if you could explain how the Console2 toolbarbuttons are affected as it doesn't use <code>chrome://global/skin/console/console.css</code> but the css from it's own skin directory <code>chrome://console2/skin/console-toolbar.css</code>.

I'll check it out.

As far as Bug 335383 (menu and toolbar accesskeys clash in suiterunner JS console), I think there's no impact on your CSS from any of the Firefox code changes (either the changes in the CSS or the Error Console XUL) for that bug.

This is because, when Console2 is installed, you control both the DOM structure (your console2.xul replaces the standard console.xul) and the CSS that applies to it (you load your console2.css and related CSS files).

The default theme's console.css is loaded by the standard console.xul, which itself doesn't get loaded if Console2 is installed, and so the default theme's version of console.css is never even loaded for that window.

The bottom line is that as long as the selectors on your CSS rules match the ID's on the toolbarbuttons that you create -- which they already do -- then Firefox code changes for Bug 335383 have no impact on your CSS.

The second question is what do you have to do to handle the accesskeys clash -- so for that I'll have to wait and see what code changes you have to make. I'll be glad to look at whatever XUL/JS changes you made and make the CSS match it, if you like, but right now it seems like you won't have to change the CSS at all for that particular issue.

p.s. Now that I've been using Console2 I like it a lot. I'm glad seamaiden, cato and shingoshi all made me fix my theme for it. :)
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mcdavis941 wrote:The second question is what do you have to do to handle the accesskeys clash -- so for that I'll have to wait and see what code changes you have to make. I'll be glad to look at whatever XUL/JS changes you made and make the CSS match it, if you like, but right now it seems like you won't have to change the CSS at all for that particular issue.
I plan to fix the en-US and en-GB locales, and leave the other locales to the Babelzilla translators. The trouble with Babelzilla is that it's worse than hearding cats. Zeniko tried to police the use of access keys on Babelzilla but this led to a lot of frustration and grumbling. I decided I didn't need that grief so I'll let the translators use whatever access keys they like.
mcdavis941 wrote:p.s. Now that I've been using Console2 I like it a lot. I'm glad seamaiden, cato and shingoshi all made me fix my theme for it. :)
All thanks to Zeniko. I only took over to keep it alive since it was in a semi-abandoned state.

Phil
arno.

unusable on Linux

Post by arno. »

Hi,
this extension is quite good, but unfortunately, there is a bug (bug 309315) that makes it nearly useless on Linux.

toolbar buttons are not styled when checked, and therefore you can never know what kind of messages you have selected for display.
For example: all buttons are active (ie: display everything)
http://ffsearchplugins.free.fr/divers/console2_all.png
css button is inactive (ie: display everything except css)
http://ffsearchplugins.free.fr/divers/c ... outcss.png

buttons look the same, so you can never know which state console is in.

In case some people experience the same difficulties, I added this to chrome/userChrome.css in my profile directory:

/* bug 309315 (makes console and console2 usable) */

#item_modeErrors[checked="false"],
#item_modeWarnings[checked="false"],
#item_modeMessages[checked="false"],
#item_modeLangJS[checked="false"],
#item_modeLangCSS[checked="false"],
#item_modeLangXML[checked="false"],
#item_modeCtxChrome[checked="false"],
#item_modeCtxContent[checked="false"] {
          color:GrayText!important;
}

This is far from an ideal solution because GrayText is usually used for disabled elements (not unchecked ones), but at least this allows me to use console2.
echoes

Post by echoes »

@arno
that must only affect some linux users, cuz my error console2 (0.3.8) works fine. i don't have those problems. just so you know...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007083004 Minefield/3.0a8pre - Build ID: 2007083004
arno.

Post by arno. »

disturbedite wrote:@arno
that must only affect some linux users, cuz my error console2 (0.3.8) works fine. i don't have those problems. just so you know...

interesting

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007083004 Minefield/3.0a8pre - Build ID: 2007083004

That's was the reason :idea:
After seeing your signature, I went to download last nightly build of firefox, and apparently, that problem does not happen anymore.
So, it looks like I will have to keep my workaround for now, but it will work fine with firefox 3.0. great :)
echoes

Post by echoes »

well, at least you know now.
Philip Chee

Re: unusable on Linux

Post by Philip Chee »

arno. wrote:this extension is quite good, but unfortunately, there is a bug (bug 309315) that makes it nearly useless on Linux.
[....]
This is far from an ideal solution because GrayText is usually used for disabled elements (not unchecked ones), but at least this allows me to use console2.
Comment #2 in that bug says
But if you remove "-moz-appearance: toolbarbutton;" occurences in toolbarbutton.css, you will then notice a visual difference between checked and unchecked state.
So perhaps instead of GrayText you could try -moz-appearance: none !important.

Phil
arno.

Re: unusable on Linux

Post by arno. »

Philip Chee wrote:
arno. wrote:this extension is quite good, but unfortunately, there is a bug (bug 309315) that makes it nearly useless on Linux.
[....]
Comment #2 in that bug says
But if you remove "-moz-appearance: toolbarbutton;" occurences in toolbarbutton.css, you will then notice a visual difference between checked and unchecked state.
So perhaps instead of GrayText you could try -moz-appearance: none !important.

Phil

yes, thanks
chob

Post by chob »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007091802 Minefield/3.0a8pre ID:2007091802 (after landing of bug 391740)

1. New profile, start firefox
2. Tools > Options > Applications
3. Note the 'Content Type' and 'Application' headers are at the top of the list. (expected)
4. Install Console² 0.3.8
5. Go back to Tools > Options > Applications
6. Note the 'Content Type' and 'Application' headers are now at the bottom of the list. (not expected and weird).
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

chob wrote:(not expected and weird).
...but livable at least temporarily. :lol:
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Thanks for the heads up.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

It seems that the fix is not as simple as it sounded as more problems have cropped up due to the fix. See:
Bug 391740 Comment #15
and
Bug 396545 – listheader in richlistbox should not scroll

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

chob wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007091802 Minefield/3.0a8pre ID:2007091802 (after landing of bug 391740)

1. New profile, start firefox
2. Tools > Options > Applications
3. Note the 'Content Type' and 'Application' headers are at the top of the list. (expected)
4. Install Console² 0.3.8
5. Go back to Tools > Options > Applications
6. Note the 'Content Type' and 'Application' headers are now at the bottom of the list. (not expected and weird).
I've attached a patch to Bug 391740 Comment #19 and I've also updated Console² 0.3.8+ (Testing version) but the mirrors will take several hours to synchronize. In the mean time you could try putting this in your userChrome.css:

richlistbox {
  -moz-box-orient: vertical;
}

richlistbox > listheader {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1;
}

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

The latest testing version of Console² (0.3.8+) should have the fixes for the richlistbox problems. You can download this version from http://console2.mozdev.org/index.html
Changelog:
* [fix] bug 369077 richlistbox is corrupted if "selected" is inside richlistitem.
* [fix] bug 376815 Allow using a listheader in <richlistbox>.
* [fix] bug 335383 menu and toolbar accesskeys clash in suiterunner JS console.
* [fix] bug 391740 listheader in richlistbox appears to right/at bottom of richlistitems.
* [new] http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 03#3020003 Allow themes to theme the Console2 richlistbox.
* [new] Sign install.rdf and update manifests with McCoy.

Phil