Thunderbird wont send emails!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MustBeDumb

Post by MustBeDumb »

For some time I have been running Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP-SP2 with no problems.

I was using a 56K Dial Up account through a local ISP (telkomsa.net)

I have just has an ADSL line installed, which came with an ADSL modem/router with a built-in firewall. To use the new ADSL line I have registered with another ISP (openweb.co.za)

In Thunderbird I set up a second account for openweb per the instructions I received from them.
In the outgoing server, I deleted the telkom outgoing server and created an new openweb one. Server Name smtp.openweb.co.za and Port 25. I have ticked "Use name and password" and entered my user name. Use secure connection is NO (per openwebs instructions).

In both accounts I have set the Outgoing Server (SMTP) to Openweb.

When I try to send an email, the program just hangs and when I cancel the message pops up:
"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Forged hostname detected in HELO - [127.0.0.1]. Please check the message recipients and try again."

127.0.0.1 is the address of the ADSL modem/router.

When I close that message box I get a second one which says:
"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.openweb.co.za failed. The server
may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct
and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

When I contacted the ISP (Openweb) they ran through the settings with me, which were all according to their instructions, but Thunderbird still won't send an email.

They then asked me to try setting up the same settings in Outlook Express and guess what? It sends and receives emails perfectly.

Openweb now just say I should use Outlook Express...

I prefer Thunderbird because it is so easy to use and I have everything set up on it.

Any suggestions?
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Without divulging your e-mail address, what are your settings for your SMTP server?
MustBeDumb

Post by MustBeDumb »

My SMTP Server settings are
Server Name - smtp.openweb.co.za
Port - 25
Use name and password - Checked
Username - "myname"@openweb.co.za
Use secure connection - No
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

What are your settings in Outlook Express? Are you being prompted for your password?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address to your computer. Your router should have an address starting with 192.168.x.x
MustBeDumb

Post by MustBeDumb »

Hi SKopischke

Settings for Outlook Express and Thunderbird are identical. Have also tried Outlook 2003 with the same settings and it works for d=sending and receiving as well.

In both Outlook Express and Outlook 2003 I am initially prompted for a password, but in Thunderbird I am not asked for my password - it doesn't seem to get that far.

Thanks
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

That is exactly I asked for your settings, instead of asking if they were the same. There is some sort of difference between the two....

Have you tried replacing "myname"@openweb.co.za with "myname"?
MustBeDumb

Post by MustBeDumb »

Hi SKopischke

Thanks for the prompt response

Outgoing Settings (SMTP) for Thunderbird:
--------------------------------------------------
Settings
Description = OpenWeb
Server Name = smtp.openweb.co.za
Port = 25

Security and Authentication
Use name and password = checked (YES)
User Name = "my name"@openweb.co.za (my email address)
Use secure connection = No

Settings for Outlook:
--------------------------------------------------
USER INFORMATION SERVER INFORMATION
Your Name = "my name" Incoming mail server (POP3) = mail.openweb.co.za
E-mail address = "my name"@openweb.co.za Outgoing mail server (SMTP) = smtp.openweb.co.za

LOGON INFORMATION
User Name = "my name"@openweb.co.za
Password = ********
Remember password = checked (YES)
Log on using secure password authentication (SPA) = unchecked (NO)

More Settings Button

Internet E-mail settings window/advanced tab
Server Port Numbers
Incoming server POP3 = 110
This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) = unchecked (NO)

Outgoing server (SMTP) = 25
This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) = unchecked (NO)

Server Timeouts
1 min

Delivery
Leave a copy of message on the server = unchecked (NO)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All other settings are default.

Thanks
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Try replacing "myname"@openweb.co.za with "myname" for the outgoing server in Thunderbird.
MustBeDumb

Post by MustBeDumb »

Hi SKopishke

I have changed the user name = "myname'@openweb.co.za to username = "myname" in Thunderbirds outgoing server.

When I tried to send a test email, the same thing happened and the mail just hangs, BUT

I noticed an extra icon popped up in the system tray which indicated that my anti-virus program was checking the mail and linked to a server smtp01.isdsl.co.za but nothing else was happening.

I then went into the anti-virus program (Avast Home Edition), to the Internet Mail settings>customize>SMTP and unchecked
"Scan Outbound Mail".

Now I can send email through Thunderbird perfectly!

I don't know if I have the story right but it seems that Avast Anti-Virus intercepts stuff going out on Port 25, checks for a virus and then sends it out on another port - which my router firewall is probably blocking because I have security set to high.

Hope this helps others with a similar problem

Many thanks for your help and patience guiding me through this.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I am glad to hear you got it working.

I always disable outbound virus scans because I scan everything on the way in. Outbound scans have been known to mess with the ability to send, as you have seen.
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

I wonder how the received wisdom in this forum can be "inbound scanning is good" and "outbound scanning is rubbish" ... the code is written by the same people.

Nobody but nobody (I agree) should rely on the outbound scanning by another user but the analysis by the user above on avast is so incorrect in its understanding of how avast (or any antivirus scanning) works - if an explanation of how it really does work is wanted ... let me know.

Post by Guest »

hey, I have sort of similar problem. When I try to send emails with 'larger' attachments delivering mail dialogue box reaches 100% and just hangs there. When I press cancel I get following error message "Sending of message failed. Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again."

I can send emails with no attachments or with small text attachment, so I don't think there's a problem with my setting. However I am new here so I could be wrong. If its any help this is a hotmail account and I've got:
TB version 2.0.0.6
WebMail 1.2.5
WebMail - Hotmail 1.2.9

Does hotmail have a limit to attachment size? Could this be a problem? If so what is the limit?

Thank you in advane :)

Alya

Post by Guest »

hey, I have sort of similar problem. When I try to send emails with 'larger' attachments delivering mail dialogue box reaches 100% and just hangs there. When I press cancel I get following error message "Sending of message failed. Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again."

I can send emails with no attachments or with small text attachment, so I don't think there's a problem with my setting. However I am new here so I could be wrong. If its any help this is a hotmail account and I've got:
TB version 2.0.0.6
WebMail 1.2.5
WebMail - Hotmail 1.2.9

Does hotmail have a limit to attachment size? Could this be a problem? If so what is the limit?

Thank you in advance :)

Alya

Post by Guest »

Sorry for repeated post :(

Alya