Lost book marks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lambi44

Lost book marks

Post by Lambi44 »

Hello

My computer did a self restart last night did a virus scan and everything ok, but 3/4 of google bookmarks gone. Howe do I
retrieve??
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

Lambi44

Post by Lambi44 »

Hello

All that jazz, is not what I want I didn't lose the bookmarks Mozzila did from a corrupt web page. I would like a free number to call so who ever I'm talking to can walk me through it
Lambi44

Post by Lambi44 »

Hello

NOTE: How about a
Step process
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

The above link will solve your problems. Your bookmarks file became corrupt so you can use the method listed in the above article to restore your bookmarks from a backup file.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

For an alternative article for how to restore bookmarks from a backup file see:
http://support-stage.mozilla.org/tiki-i ... rk_backups

The above article is taken from the planned official Firefox support site which is currently being developed.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Try this....
  1. Shut Firefox Down completely (Make sure you close all Windows)
  2. Go to your Profile Folder. (see below for finding it)
  3. Find a folder called Bookmark Backups, and look inside
  4. Drag one of the Five files you find in the folder to your Desktop.
  5. Rename the file to Bookmarks.html
  6. Drag the renamed file back to the Profile folder.(not the one you got it from.. the one you looked in first)
  7. Click Yes when you are asked if you want to replace the file

You should now have a new set of Bookmarks when you restart Firefox

Read this for how to find your profile folder... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... ile_folder
In Windows ... this Folder may be hidden .....
To show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders.
Also this Extension may help to locate it quickly https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545

By the way .. We do not do email or phone support here, but have a look at this
Mozilla wrote:Third Party Support

Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and computer retailers provide support for Firefox and Thunderbird.

Paid support is also available from the following independent providers (who are not affiliated with Mozilla)

* InfoSpan - Telephone support at 1-888-586-4539 is available for Firefox 0.9 and above, Thunderbird 0.8 and above, and final Mozilla release versions 1.5, 1.6, and above. $39.95 per incident.

Too slow again....
Last edited by steviex on September 18th, 2007, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

I would avoid the import method, the current bookmark file is likely to be corrupt so you would end up importing the bookmarks to an already corrupt file which could lead to more problems. It is best to replace the bookmarks file with a backup copy.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I've edited my method... as you raise a good point :) :idea:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Alice

Post by Alice »

For those people who are not comfortable moving and renaming files, another option is to restore the default bookmarks using the Firefox Safe Mode "Reset bookmarks to Firefox defaults" option, then restart Firefox and import one of your bookmark backup files.
Alice Wyman
steviex

Post by steviex »

Its always the same... you give three methods for doing something, and someone comes up with a fourth ... (Then someone else gives a fifth !) :lol:

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

5th ?
but 3/4 of google bookmarks gone.

What did you mean by that?
Have you installed an extension to store your bookmarks at Google?
Or are you using the built-in Firefox bookmarks system?

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I was bugged by the guy saying "3/4 of google bookmarks gone." , so I googled it :)

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... s-faq.html
What is Google Bookmarks?
Google Bookmarks* is an online service that lets you save your favorite sites and attach labels and annotations. Unlike the bookmark feature from your browser, bookmarks are stored securely online, so they are accessible even if you're using other computers.

* http://www.google.com/bookmarks/
Alice Wyman
Lambi44

Post by Lambi44 »

Hello,

Well I already did what Q has mentioned and sure enough crash city. now says firefox already running but cannot respond. need to close or restart computer. Now strangley enough I've removed firefox and went into registry and deleted
all firefox files, reinstalled firefox and the same problem.So now how do I get to start up
Alice

Post by Alice »

Was it a "Firefox is already running but is not responding..." message? That simply means that the profile is locked or not accessible, probably because a firefox process is still running. If restarting the computer doesn't solve the problem then see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use for other methods of unlocking the profile.
Alice Wyman