Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Iravanan

Post by Iravanan »

»»Iravanan««… (‹ An End User ›);
•» Obviously my first language is not English but தமிழ்: (Tamil).«•
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Iron/0.2.152.0 Safari/14369976.525

Post by Guest »

Thanks!
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

I've had trouble with the last couple of Thunderbird updates. I tried to manually delete the Thunderbird folder contents, which worked apart from one file which I couldn't delete - called mozmap something I think (sorry, didn't note the name of it). It gave the usual message that it may be in use by another app...

I have Logitech QuickCam... I exited that, and then straight away I was able to delete the remaining file. Now I've just reinstalled Thunderbird and it works fine :)
ganeshji

thanks that worked

Post by ganeshji »

trolly wrote:I added this one to the initial post:
perrygenie wrote:To disable teatimer in spybot go to mode,then advanced,then tools,then resident,uncheck teatimer.

Many thanks, finally was able to update to latest version. Should have checked your post weeks ago ;)
~peace & harmony~
Searcher

Re: Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

Post by Searcher »

trolly wrote:If you get the message "Software Update Failed. One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Firefox to try again." check if you have the Spybot TeaTimer active. If yes disable it.
perrygenie wrote:To disable teatimer in spybot go to mode,then advanced,then tools,then resident,uncheck teatimer.

Another cause can be the Logitech camera software.
If you have a "QuickCam 10.exe" process, disconnect your camera and terminate the process.

Spyware Blaster is another candidate. See here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 55#2995155 (further down here)

Security software can also block updates. So switch them off if you get problems.
For AVG Virus scanner it was confirmed. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 57#2995457

If not the easiest solution is to install Firefox in a new folder. After a reboot you should be able to uninstall the old version and remove the folder.

Please post only solutions or questions about the offered solutions. If you still can not update make a new thread.
Thank you.

Hi, I disabled spybot and spywareblaster to no avail. What worked for me- was to delete the update files for each program under each local user. Then I did a re-install of the program and now everything is fine!

Post by Guest »

I also had the same problem updates from 2.0.0.6 version to the newest 2.0.0.7 version. It always says " software update failed... close this blah...blah...blah...Upon reading all the tips here, im almost gone crazy and gave it up. Heres what i did, since i have norton(NIS) software and have exclamation mark(!) status because of that Automatic Windows Update. I prefer do it manually or notified first. I solved by choosing the Automatic update(recomended) then I opened the latest version 2.0.0.7 setup and it works! No more errors or retrys.
jones172

Post by jones172 »

Probably the most common source of this irritating glitch is a so-called "limited user account." Please see
http://tinyurl.com/ylflhl

Under Windows XP, for security reasons, I do my day-to-day surfing under a limited user account with the all-powerful Administrator privilege turned off.

Today, I downloaded and installed Firefox 2.0.0.7. However, later, under the limited user account, I was exasperated to see 2.0.0.7 try to install a SECOND TIME. And now, the "One or more files could not be updated" glitch shows up under FF 2.0.0.7. There is a workaround; sorry, I don't have the URL in front of me. It keeps coming back like a bad penny. Please fix.

One upgrade which definitely needs to be made is this: Before a version tries to install, it needs to check and see if this version is already installed.

Thomas L. Jones, PhD, Computer Science
trolly

Post by trolly »

The solution is usually here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version
There are still a few bug fixes for Vista out.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
notabigmac

Post by notabigmac »

add Aqua Dock to list of apps cousing this error, i you are using it - shut it down and then run FF.

Post by Guest »

Add another person having problems updated to 2.0.0.7. I have Spybot, but teatimer is not active. I have shut everything down - I run in Admin mode and still keep getting "one or more files....". This is the first time I've had this problem updating. Should I try updating in safe mode?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Use the last advice: Uninstall the old version, remove (or rename) the folder and install the new one.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Cassigrain

Update wants to keep installing

Post by Cassigrain »

Same problem but only in a user account. Changed account to admin, Firefox completed the installation, changed account back to Limited. All is well
wwww

Post by wwww »

Is this latest update worth all the hassle? What if I just wait for v.3?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Always. .7 runs fine here on four different systems.
ZA and TrendMicro firewall
wwww

Post by wwww »

OK, I removed Firefox, downloaded the new FF, rebooted, and installed it, and now it's OK.