After installing Firefox update 2.07 it will not connect?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
djalliance

After installing Firefox update 2.07 it will not connect?

Post by djalliance »

After installing the latest update for Firefox it will now not work. I have checked the help pages but some are a little too technical for me when it comes to setting up a dial connecion. I have checked my norton and it is set to accept firefox under my firewall setings. I can connect to the interenet via Internet Explorer. For some reasonw hen i checked work offline I could connect but not actually sing into hotmail or anything. Now it won't work offline or online.

Very bizare. never had a problem like this before. My internet connection is fine just that Firefox isnt :(
trolly

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
djalliance

Post by djalliance »

trolly wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=585993

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading ... #Firewalls

Thanks, ive checked all that. Still no luck. Surely a major bug with firefox?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Definitely no. The only change was an added check for invalid URLs passed from quicktime.

Do you have a firewall at all?
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote:Definitely no. The only change was an added check for invalid URLs passed from quicktime.

Yes I have Norton and Spysweeper.

I ran a Enum Process check and these were highlighted orange:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (Symantec Corporation / Symantec Service Framework)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe (Symantec Corporation / Symantec Application Core Service)
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe (Symantec Corporation / Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler Service)

Aint got a clue what that means but its associated with Norton. I have check Norton and made sure firefox is allowed.
RDT

Post by RDT »

trolly wrote:Definitely no. The only change was an added check for invalid URLs passed from quicktime.

I have a firewall, and as far as I can figure it is NOT blocking firefox. As I stated earlier, as others have, never had a problem with an update before. I am sure there are a lot of others out there making the newest version work. Is there a way to go back to the earlier version?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Making sure is not enough. Firewall remember the exact version of an allowed application. Normally a firewall should ask if an application changes but some do not. In this case go to the program control list and remove firefox completely.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Checking the permissions in your current firewall configuration may not be enough. It may be showing you permissions for the previous version, which you are no longer running.

From this forum's Knowledge Base, an article on configuring comon firewalls:
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote:Making sure is not enough. Firewall remember the exact version of an allowed application. Normally a firewall should ask if an application changes but some do not. In this case go to the program control list and remove firefox completely.

What about all my stored passwords. I have hundreds!
RedCardinal

Post by RedCardinal »

trolly wrote:Making sure is not enough. Firewall remember the exact version of an allowed application. Normally a firewall should ask if an application changes but some do not. In this case go to the program control list and remove firefox completely.

I just observed the same behviour - FF wont connect. Win XP SP2. FF 2.0.0.7
To test your firewall thesis I turned off my firewall (Zonealarm)
FF still wont connect.

All other browsers working normally.

Appears to be a bug.
trolly

Post by trolly »

:?: Dealing with your firewall does not touch any of your passwords. :?:
I meant remove firefox from the firewall, not from your computer.
trolly

Post by trolly »

RedCardinal wrote:

I just observed the same behviour - FF wont connect. Win XP SP2. FF 2.0.0.7
To test your firewall thesis I turned off my firewall (Zonealarm)
FF still wont connect.

All other browsers working normally.

Appears to be a bug.
How did you turn off ZA?
Of course your other browsers work. They are not changed.

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote::?: Dealing with your firewall does not touch any of your passwords. :?:
I meant remove firefox from the firewall, not from your computer.

done that and still no joy.

I followd this...Although I have no idea how to run a pragramme scan????

I chatted with one of their tech support reps and she fixed the problem. For future reference for others, this is what I did under her instruction...

-Open up Norton Internet Security>>Personal Firewall>>Configure>>Programs
1. Click the first item in the Manual Program Control list.
2. On your keyboard, press Ctrl+A to select all of the program rules.
3. Click Remove (this will wipe the programs list clean).
4. If you see a warning message, click YES to remove the rules.

-Then run a program scan..
1. Click PROGRAM SCAN
2. Select drive C and click NEXT.
3. When it's done scanning click "Check all"
4. NEXT to go to the next page, and click FINISH.

This did it for me. She said that Norton will sometimes lock up if the firewall settings are incorrect...which didn't make much sense to me but after I did this FireFox is now working with no problems and Norton isn't locking up anymore.
trolly

Post by trolly »

That's a known problem of Norton. Screwing up the settings. Some people call it the most brain-dead firewall available.

BTW: It is all mentioned here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Nor ... t_Security and the link was already posted above.
RedCardinal

Post by RedCardinal »

trolly wrote:How did you turn off ZA?
Of course your other browsers work. They are not changed.

Thanks for the smart arse reply - I was trying to make the point that my connection was not at issue.

ZA was turned off via the ZA control panel. Windows Security Center warned me that I had no firewall, so I cant imagine it could still be blocking anything after turning it off.

[edit] I've removed all Firefox entries as per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#ZoneAlarm and restarted FF - still no joy.

Reinstalling Zonealarm seems to me excessive at this time. I've never before had such behavious from ZA and have been using it for years.
Last edited by RedCardinal on September 19th, 2007, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.