Mail import Problem after HD crash

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rkeller

Mail import Problem after HD crash

Post by Rkeller »

Hello everybody

Please sorry my poor english.

I have following problem. After my PC had a virus, my system crashed and i had to reinstall (by an image). Now could i take back a copy of my thunderbird profile, by using a recovery tool. I install thunderbird 0.4 new. When i try to use the copy of my profile wich i could recover (copy in the thunderbird profil), i see neither emails nor the adressbook. How can i be sure, that the database of the emails and the adressbook are not defective. Is there a program whitch can open this databases? What can i else do? My Emails are not important, but my adressbok is about 5 years old and i dont want to lose it.

I hope you understand my english.

Thanks for any helps

Greets
Roger
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

No need to apologize for your English, you are doing quite well.

As you did not say what your computer's Operating System is, it is a bit difficult to assist you.

However, as you seem to know where your Thunderbird profile is, then you need to be sure that the profile actually contains your email files and address book.

Here is an example from Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\(My Name)\Thunderbird\Profiles\Default\(aribtrary).slt

In that folder is abook.mab, my address book.

Below that folder is a subfolder, \Mail, under which are subsubfolders, \Local Folders and \mail.(my isp).com; finally, in that last subsubfolder are some files and a final subsubsub folder, \inbox.sbd, and it is that very last place that all of my email files are found.

What I think you should do is to create a new profile, and move into that new profile the files that you need, such as abook, the email subfolders, etc. What I do, when I need to do this, is start Thunderbird with the new folder, see what is missing, turn off Tbird, move a few files, restart it, etc., until I have things more or less back to where they are supposed to be.

Finally, to start a new profile under Windows XP, you use the RUN Command and create this:

"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

When that starts, select "Manage Profiles, create a new one, use it to start Tbird, and go from there; when you are satisfied, then use that set of commands again to get rid of your old profile.
Rkeller

Post by Rkeller »

Sorry i forgot to write, i us Windows XP. I copy the files (inbox, sent) to the new profile. The inbox file is around 600MB. I also copied the abook.mab to the new profile. The abook.mab is around 57 KB. But when i open the Thunderbird, i can not see any entries, neither mails nor adressbook. When i copy the abook.mab to the new profile, it is 57KB. If i open thunderbird and close it, the abook.mab will be overwrite and the size is 1.40 KB.

Maybe the files would damaged wenn i recovered them. How can i now if they are ok or not.
LeadHead

Post by LeadHead »

I have a similar problem. It didn't show any messages. So I downgraded to 0.2 and made the same file movements (or copys) but now it won't write to the mail file...

"Unable to write the mail to the mailbox. Make sure the file system allows you write priviledges and you have enough disc space to copy the mailbox."

With 180+ Gb of space, I figure that's not the problem.
Thunderbird 0.2 (still saying o.4 in "about" screen, must be a registry thing) and Win XP SP1.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

If the about screen says 0.4, you are using 0.4, as far as I know.

As for not being able to write, try a new profile first of all, as that is the easiest way to fix a lot of problems. If that does not work, then I'd try a clean install of Tbird, especially as you believe you are using 0.2 but continue to see 0.4.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Rkeller wrote:Sorry i forgot to write, i us Windows XP. I copy the files (inbox, sent) to the new profile. The inbox file is around 600MB. I also copied the abook.mab to the new profile. The abook.mab is around 57 KB. But when i open the Thunderbird, i can not see any entries, neither mails nor adressbook. When i copy the abook.mab to the new profile, it is 57KB. If i open thunderbird and close it, the abook.mab will be overwrite and the size is 1.40 KB.

Maybe the files would damaged wenn i recovered them. How can i now if they are ok or not.

I trust that you put the mail files where I told you to, under the mail folder, the abook.mab in the profile folder itself, replacing the one created when you created the new profile.

The mail files are simply ASCII files that can be looked at in most any program that handles such files, such as Wordpad, QuickView Plus, even a word processor. For that matter, abook.mab is also an ASCII file.

Try turning off Thunderbird, deleting the .msf files, restarting the program: The .msf files are index files that are regenerated when the program starts, and perhaps they have been damaged.

There may be others things to do, but that's about all I can think of for now; perhaps someone else will join the exchange of messages with some further assistance for you.
Rkeller

Post by Rkeller »

Unfortunately all my recovered files are damaged. But i found a older save on a CD, of that i could take back a older version of my adressbook. Better than nothing. Mails are gone, but that is not so bad.

Thanks@John Liebson for trying to help me.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

"Thanks@John Liebson for trying to help me." What a funny email address....

You are certainly welcome.
GuiYoyo

Post by GuiYoyo »

Just to say that creating a new profile and copying mail folders one by one actually works.
You have to define once again your accounts, but once each of them is created, just copy the former "Mail" folder into the new one.
You also have to copy some files that are in the root folder of you profile, such as the address book...

Guiyo