Good stable recent nightly? (fall 2007 edition)

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

danpritts

Post by danpritts »

Hi all - an old thread but perhaps relevant again.

I really love the tab bar scrolling feature that got checked in just after 1.5 closed; and i was happily using a nightly from then for a while.

When the issue arrived that prompted 1.5.1 (I can't remember what it was now), i started downloading and using nightlies.

Unfortunately I've found that the browser is no longer as solid as the releases, and I just don't have the time in my day-to-day job to send in useful bug reports.

So, can anyone suggest a good nightly with that feature?

Or for that matter, if whomever wrote the scrolling tab bar can point me in the right direction (where to look in the code, both directory/file wise and time wise) for where that change arrived, I will take a shot at modifying 1.5.1 to add that feature. Not really a mac software guy but i can find my way out of a wet paper bag.
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

Since everything in this thread is very time-specific and more than a year old, none of it is going to be relevant; please start a new thread for this kind of thing in the future.

What nightlies are you using? If you've been using trunk, then what you want are the 1.8 branch nightlies (Camino 1.6a1pre), which is the stable branch. If you are already using that branch and having problems with it, that's fairly surprising--I can't think of anything destabilizing on that branch--so you'd have to elaborate on what problems you are having in order for anyone to be able to try to guess what change could have caused it (and what version you would therefore need to use).
danpritts

Post by danpritts »

FWIW this thread was pointed to in the FAQs ("please read before posting questions") so i posted here.

I've been downloading the "latest nightly" by going to http://caminobrowser.org/download/releases/nightly/

for instance, the one i'm running now is version 2007091401 (1.6a1pre)

The browser gets slower the longer it's running (hours, or maybe a day; not a week). Things start to get weird.

These things come to mind:

1) load slashdot. get no graphics, just a basic times font presentation of the site. This has happened several times.

Probably the same problem on this site: http://machinist.salon.com/ loaded, but the light-gray background in the box behind the main text was missing and i got the text on the page's default dark-gray background.

2) Yahoo! mail beta. Today, I logged in to mail after browsing for a while. the page got stuck with a "loading mailbox" type message for at least a minute. Restarting the browser caused it to load up lickety-split. Now, with an almost empty inbox, i don't even see the "loading" message, so i can't tell you exactly what it said.

3) http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/?last_st ... tone_peta/

Flashblock blocked the PETA movie. I clicked on the allow-flash icon and waited....for several minutes before i gave up.

I am not hardware-challenged (macbook, 2GHz core 2/2G RAM), nor network-challenged (office LAN connected to upstream at gig-e).
aptenergy

Post by aptenergy »

FWIW, I have also encountered this issue. It's almost as if the CSS refuses to load.
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

1.5.1 and 1.6 are built on the same stable Gecko branch, so it's odd that you'd have those issues in 1.6a1pre and not 1.5.1. Certainly a regression like that *shouldn't* have landed there, so if you find a build that does work significantly more reliably for you let us know.