After updating to 2.0.0.7 NO webpages will load! Please help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jerle78

Definite Firefox Bug

Post by jerle78 »

So, like the rest of you, i updated and now my firefox doesn't work on my desktop. I have yet to update my laptop and will refuse to until this gets resolved.

I didn't get to read all the posts in this thread, but it appears that no one is happy with the update. I noticed something a bit different on mine, though, and, IMHO, this points completely to a bug in Firefox.

No web pages will load. I don't get any server errors or anything. I simply get a white page with nothing. It doesn't seem to matter what address i type in, or what shortcut i use. This is with FF Safe mode. I went out of Safe Mode and noticed that my gmail Manager extension still can check mail. So, i clicked it and the gmail manager was able to load the page in Firefox without a problem. I can view all message in FF in my Gmail, but if i try to type an address, it still comes up with a blank page. Obviously FF can get out of onto the web, but somehow when it starts a call on its own, it doesn't work.

I strongly feel that this is a bug in 2.0.0.7. Thoughts anyone?

Adrian
** e-mail address removed by moderator **
jerle78

New Info..... maybe bug..... maybe setting....

Post by jerle78 »

Ok,

I figured out the problem, but no the solution. It appears that FF will only load secure pages now. It will not load any unsecure pages. Instead, it'll just return the server error msg like it can't get out.

Anyone know of a setting that would prevent FF from loading unsecure/encrypted pages?

Adrian
** e-mail address removed by moderator **
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.
jerle78

Post by jerle78 »

Ok, thanks, moderator. Although, if i ever do find a "cure", i will be sure to post it here if someone doesn't do so before me.
The Squeegee

Re: Definite Firefox Bug

Post by The Squeegee »

jerle78 wrote:So, like the rest of you, i updated and now my firefox doesn't work ....... I strongly feel that this is a bug in 2.0.0.7. Thoughts anyone?
Adrian ** e-mail address removed by moderator **

yeah, this SURE looks like a friggin' FF problem.

even with all security software disabled, the
DANG PAGES WON'T LOAD... )$#%#$)%

WHAT NOW? I'm beginning to think that
I'm too dependent on Firefox features...
...such as saved sessions etc... darnit!

p.s. - and to top it off, the update
says it installed "successfully"...
VanillaMozilla

Re: New Info..... maybe bug..... maybe setting....

Post by VanillaMozilla »

jerle78 wrote:It appears that FF will only load secure pages now. It will not load any unsecure pages.

So it will only load Web addresses that begin with "https://"? Just checking.

I can think of some possibilities.
1. You are being blocked from the general Internet as a matter of policy. By an employer, perhaps.
2. You are using a specialized proxy instead of a direct connection to the Internet.
3. You have a messed up or strange extension. Create a new profile for testing. It takes 2 minutes, tops. See my signature.
4. Your domain name server is messed up. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#DNS . Instead of typing in the address, try opening 72.14.205.104 .

There may be others that I haven't thought of.
mjplowcha

Post by mjplowcha »

I was also having the same issue with the auto-update from last night untill I tried Unintalling through Add Remove Programs then re-installing it a little while ago. After downloading the new Full version 2.0.0.7 version from the web, it will only install about 15% then creates this error for me...

"Error opening file for writing:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\nsSessionStartup.js"
grendpe

Post by grendpe »

same problem here...

i updated firefox from 2.0.0.6 to 2.0.0.7 and nothing will load.

i tried uninstalling/reinstalling after clearing cache, deleting application data, uninstalling program

i am only using the windows firewall and i have kaspersky internet security but it is completely disabled

i will try uninstalling/re-installing one more time.

i think this is a firefox 2.0.0.7 bug as well... shame because i love firefox, but i think this update has a serious problem. probably DNS related?
smilinsara85

Post by smilinsara85 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Smilinsara85,
Thanks for mentioning that. Other Internet security products besides firewalls can interfere with your browser, although I have no idea how or why. It may be that many of the problems we see, after most of the firewall problems have been taken care of, are other Internet security programs.

A few questions for the sake of documenting the problem. Can you tell us exactly what Norton product and version you have? And did it completely prevent you from viewing any Web sites with Firefox? Third question: did you have to reboot the computer before Firefox worked? Thanks.

Sure. I had Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. I'm not sure which version number, but the exe name is SAV102Vista.exe

I was completely unable to view websites, it said that it couldn't find the page or whatever the standard message is that comes up when you're not connected to the internet.

Honestly, exactly what happened is that since i was really frustrated with not being able to get firefox to work i spent the day messing around with settings which wound up making my computer act screwy so i used system restore to restore it back to yesterday before the firefox update that made me start changing settings and such and then after the restore i decided to delete symantec and install mcafee instead. then for some reason my firefox shortcut wasn't working at all when i clicked on it and it was still 2.0.0.6. because i restored it to before it updated to 2.0.0.7. so i uninstalled 2.0.0.6. and downloaded 2.0.0.7. from the website and then it worked perfectly.

that was a lot of detail so hopefully that'll help for documentation purposes and other people who might have symantec antivirus :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Could be, but I'm not so sure, since you made so many changes, not the least of which is downloading and reinstalling 2.0.0.7. Was Firefox actually working (except for the shortcut) before you reinstalled?

EDIT: There have been several reports, before and after this one, that implicate Norton or Symantec Antivirus and other security programs.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on September 24th, 2007, 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
curtisk

Post by curtisk »

Is anyone here that is having problems using Kaspersky Internet Security (not necessarily the firewall, just AV or whatever).

I don't run the firewall in Kaspersky Internet Security AT ALL, but I do use the AV function to scan my email, etc. In fact, when
my Firefox wasn't even working, Kaspersky was completely closed, which is why a lot of this doesn't make sense to me, but
any way, I ran Kaspersky, enabled the firewall option, and then tried to run Firefox, and now, with the firewall ENABLED it worked (?????).

So I disabled it again, and now Firefox is working like normal. Who the hell knows what went wrong there...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Firewalls aren't always off when you turn them off, and when they appear to be off.

Thanks for returning and posting that it was a problem with a Firewall - a Firewall that appeared to be off.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jerle78

Post by jerle78 »

Wow...

To the person who asked: yes, it only loads "https://" pages...

I updated my laptop, and it is functioning fine. Desktop is still inop.

As for your possibilities.
1. You are being blocked from the general Internet as a matter of policy. By an employer, perhaps.

No, this is not a corporate network. This is my home. I am a sysadmin and software tester by profession and not to say i'm an expert at my job, i tend to have a pretty decent idea as to what i'm doing half the time. (maybe less than half the time depending on the time of day.)

2. You are using a specialized proxy instead of a direct connection to the Internet.

No specialized proxy or any proxy for that matter. If that was the case, no other browsers would work from this machine unless i was using a network-wide app-level firewall, which i'm not.

3. You have a messed up or strange extension. Create a new profile for testing. It takes 2 minutes, tops. See my signature.

I assumed the extension from the beginning. If you re-read my posts, you'll notice that I ran FF in safe mode and still no fix.

4. Your domain name server is messed up. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#DNS . Instead of typing in the address, try opening 72.14.205.104.

If my DNS server, or tables were messed up, NO address would be able to be resolved regardless of security level of the page. For example, if i attempt to go to http://www.rbfcu.org, i will get the "error message". However, if i go to "httpS://www.rbfcu.org" the page will load fine.

If i use the IE Tab extension, you will see that IE gives a message saying the request was cancelled as soon as I try to load the unsecure page.

This is not a firewall issue. I was thinking that maybe it would be a port issue, but it turns out that didn't work either. I did a direct IP:port call and it didn't work in FF.

So can anyone else try to open SSL pages and see if it's the same issue?

Adrian
jerle78

Post by jerle78 »

Ok, i got it working. I used Ghost to bring me back to yesterday and then did the update again and this time it worked fine.

Go figure... maybe it's FF, maybe it's just computers...

Adrian
Old kausikdatta

Post by Old kausikdatta »

Just to let everyone know, I installed the 0.7 update on at least five machines running Windows XP SP2 and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.1.6, and one Vista machine with eSet antivirus. The 0.7 update installed without a hitch and are running fine. The few problems that I came across are:
1. The retention of 2.0.0.6 in the Add-remove programs (solved by deleting the corresponding registry key)
2. FF 2.0.0.7 running sluggishly, with close to 100% CPU usage when doing simple tasks, like opening a new tab
3. Non-administrator user accounts in some machines showing that "cannot update" message. But there is fix mentioned in another post (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=572292) that I am going to try out.

HTH someone.