After installing Firefox update 2.07 it will not connect?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
STeve1960

UPDATE 2.0.0.7

Post by STeve1960 »

After updating to 2.0.0.7 I am getting a firefox.exe running permanently in task manager which is 3,864K. When I open up Firefox another one gets added which is 43,552K. When no FF running ending the process does not help. It just comes back again. Is this something new or my FR installation got screwed up? TIA
STeve1960

UPDATE 2.0.0.7

Post by STeve1960 »

After updating to 2.0.0.7 I am getting a firefox.exe running permanently in task manager which is 3,864K. When I open up Firefox another one gets added which is 43,552K. When no FF running ending the process does not help. It just comes back again. Is this something new or my FF installation got screwed up? TIA
trolly

Post by trolly »

@STeve1960: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open
@Chris: Not yet. I recommend to not use the automatic mode. I use manual mode and no problems so far.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, guys, I can't deal with you individually, but read this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Firewall_pitfalls . Read it carefully and understand it. When you are done with that, read the last link in the Pitfalls section. It even tells you what to do in case it's NOT the firewall.

We have heard thousands of firewall stories, and it's always the same -- denial until finally they find the problem with the firewall. Occasionally there's a problem with Firefox (usually an extension), but that's easily fixed. Most of the time if everything seems to work but you can't connect to any Web site, it's the firewall. (And it looks like one or two of you have another problem, such as malware.)

About ZoneAlarm. I have it. Almost all the time it works correctly, but once it did not ask when it was supposed to. It just silently blocked the new version of Firefox. I had to kick it. Deleted Firefox from the list of programs, and I even had to reboot.

About Norton Internet Security and Norton Firewall. People have had a LOT of trouble with those programs over the years. Recent versions have been better, but still cause some problems. Norton also has a Web site for diagnosis and help. Use it.

This is all you get from me today. Don't ask more. I'm very, very busy. Just read the links.
Chris2412

Post by Chris2412 »

:( Just uninstalled ZA. Didnt reinstall yet. Rebooted the system.

But ff.exe still wont work, only ff1.exe does.

Except Windows fireall there is no firewall on my system, and my Win firewall is turned off.

Am clueless again :(
trolly

Post by trolly »

This can be a hint of malware or a hidden firewall (preinstalled and forgotten, installed for test purposes and forgotten, ...).
Have you executed the EnumProcess tool?
Scanned for malware?
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I didn't think trolly's reply was anything other than a straight question. You have no idea how frequently the response to that question is something that reveals the nature of the problem.

Can you humor the collective and reinstall ZA to see if it solves the problem?
Chris2412

Post by Chris2412 »

@SKopischke i did uninstall ZA. Completly. And without reinstalling ff still doesnt work.

Right now the only firewall that is on the system (and which is turned off) is Win Firewall

I just finished my Virus Adware checks. Using Kaspersky and Ad Aware. According to them my system is free.

I did run EnumProcess tool. And no error was reported.

I disabled all addons and extensions etc, using also safe mode

I know my system by the heart. And there is no preinstalled forgotten software. I still rechecked. And everything installed was the way i had it in mind.

But still ff.exe doesnt connect. ff1.exe does
Chris2412

Post by Chris2412 »

Anyhow.

Its 1.00 am here. And im going to bed. Gonna see whats happening tomorrow.

So far ff1.exe is working.

And before rolling back my image im gonna wiat with this trick what the next days will bring.

TXS so far.

Talk to you tomorrow.
rockrobinoff

Post by rockrobinoff »

i updated today as well, and firefox wont connect to internet. i have no firewall. so there you go.

someone has made a big oops.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Tried the EnumProcess tool?
Scanned for malware?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
STeve1960

Post by STeve1960 »

It is bizzare, I can not pinpoint the culprit. I've uninstalled Spybot, unistalled Firefox and removed all the files including registry. Reinstalled FF and the firefox.exe process started straight away. I did not install anything recently except Spybot and that is uninstalled now. What I don't understand is why after updating FF to 2.0.0.7
trolly

Post by trolly »

Spybot? Did you use the teatimer feature? teatimer can prevent updating but you see usually an error message if that happens. :?:
Some info about this is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=572292

Post by Guest »

Yes, I disabled the teatime and then updated FF successfully but ater that I noticed two firefox.exe processes in task manager.
STeve1960

Post by STeve1960 »

Just to let you know that I've restored the whole system and FF updated OK. No problems now. Thanks. I am suspicious of Spybot as that was the only program I've installed recently.