lost all my extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
explorer

lost all my extensions

Post by explorer »

Yesterday 19th September I upgraded FireFox to 2 0 0 7 The extensions were working after installation. Today 20th I opened FireFox there were only the bookmarks the all in one side bar and extensions I had installed were not working and in the add ons section it said these will be loaded on restart they were not. Anyone had this problem
steviex

Post by steviex »

The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.

Look in your Profile Folder (see below for how to find it) and Delete these three files
extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf
Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

Read this for how to find your profile folder... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... ile_folder
In Windows ... this Folder may be hidden .....
To show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders.
Also this Extension may help to locate it quickly https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
explorer

Post by explorer »

Hi Steviex I have done as you said restarted it took me back to basics there were no extns only said that the two listed were incompatible java console & talkback others like non script and reminder were not listed and the theme was not there either I have downloaded the noia extreme2 do I need to reload all the extentions as well. Thanks for your help
steviex

Post by steviex »

Are you sure you are looking in the right folder ? The folder you need is NOT the one in Program Files... Use this method to find the correct folder...
Knowledge Base wrote:Windows 2000 and XP

1. Choose Start → Run
2. Type in %APPDATA%
3. Press OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear.
4. In the Windows Explorer window, choose Mozilla → Firefox → Profiles. Each folder in this folder is a profile on your computer.

You can also navigate directly to your folder at the path C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ . The Application Data folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders".
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
explorer

lost extentions

Post by explorer »

hi Steviex,
Yes I did follow the instructions. but I ended up downloading the theme and extns by hand I had to use FEBE backup to reinstate my menu buttons could not find the FireFoxMenuButtons in the extns althrough I did a search.
FEBE tells me there is an error it cannot backup user content and gives an error message when you first open FF error No 0x8060008 file already exists ''js frame::chrome://febe/content/febe.jsfebe copyfile::line857 data:no does this ring a a bell I looked in the backup file opened the chrome file but it did not help me.
Other than that FF 20007 it seams to be to be working and I have my extns back.
Shall I try deleting all the files in the backup file in my docs and then redo another backup.
Many thanks for your help
explorer
explorer

Post by explorer »

Thanks for your assistance everything is working the FEBE problem was caused by cleo I have un-installed it and the backups seem ok
explorer
steviex

Post by steviex »

Good show :)

huanhuan09

Re: lost all my extensions

Post by huanhuan09 »

FANTASTIC steviex!!!

You helped me a great deal with this!

Thank you very much!

Piet
steviex

Re:

Post by steviex »

steviex wrote:Good show :)
Happy to help

Re: lost all my extensions

Post by Guest »

Hello, I am having the same problem - all my addons have disappeared, just like I am running FF in safe mode! When I click on the add on menu option, they are all still there listed, (the icons next to each one seem to have gone) but they don't load into firefox.

I have tried the steps above though and they havent made any difference . . .