Problem with recent Quicktime upgrade

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Turlog

Problem with recent Quicktime upgrade

Post by Turlog »

This evening I downloaded the Quicktime 7.2 upgrade for Mac that was posted today, and now I can't get any video to play in Firefox. I see the Quicktime logo briefly and then a white question mark is superimposed over it. I checked to see if video was working in Safari and it is, so it must be a Firefox issue. Is anyone else having this problem and what's the solution?

Thanks,

Bob
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Turlog

Post by Turlog »

I tried everything that was suggested in your link and nothing worked. Under the Browser tab in Quicktime prefs there is no "Mime settings" button, so I couldn't try that suggestion. The only check boxes under the Browser tab are "Play movies automatically" and "Save movies in disk cache". I unchecked "Play movies automatically" and it didn't make a difference.

I then removed the "pluginreg.dat" file and restarted Firefox and that didn't fix the problem either.

Thanks for your suggestion.
johnnymike

Quicktime problems

Post by johnnymike »

The settings in the Quicktime System Pref pane is different in the later OSX upgrades. In the pane, select the Advanced Tab. You will find a MIME settings button, click this. Open up each one of the settings. Two of them (Images, and Miscellaneous) have a selection for Flash. Deselect those two. After I did this and restarted Firefox, the problem went away.
Turlog

Post by Turlog »

Thanks for the reply. I was given this same solution in the Quicktime discussion on Apple's website, and it worked.

Bob
jstoneburner

Post by jstoneburner »

In my case, these items were already unchecked. Still no joy.

My message is down in this thread: Firefox 2.0.0.4 on MAC stops viewing QT objects on Webpages - MozillaZine Forums
jstoneburner

Post by jstoneburner »

Reinstalling QT 7.2 worked.

That was the one thing I didn't want to do, because last time it caused half my apps (Rosetta ones) to fail on my Intel Mac. I had to reinstall 10.4.10 to get things to work again. Either Apple fixed the recent download, or by some more complex mechanism I managed to avoid the pitfall.

Anyway, to those that find this thread, don't be afraid to try it again, if none of the various suggestions solve it for you....

Yes, it working now!

Post by Guest »

Thank "johnymike"

I did not know on where to find the right answer.
firefox noob

thank you

Post by firefox noob »

this worked, thanks
johau

Many thanks to johnnymike

Post by johau »

I've been plagued with the QuickTime Question Mark issue for months now and I've been going over to using Safari when that happened but I prefer staying on Firefox. Your Quick Fix for Quick Time repaired the issue and I can now view websites the way they were meant to be. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

A formerly somewhat frustrated browser in Maine...
cheetahboy

quicktime

Post by cheetahboy »

Thank you so much! It works!!!!!!
peteru

Post by peteru »

I had problems with quicktime, the big Q with ?. I seemed to have solved it by uninstsalling Adobe flash 9, and then reinstalling it. Everything worked, then I upgraded Firefox, and all the same problems as before, and I uninstalled, and reinstalled Flash9, and everything works again.