... Auto-Scrolling or Soft-Scrolling ...

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Rudolph

... Auto-Scrolling or Soft-Scrolling ...

Post by Rudolph »

Good Morning Forum

In Firefox Options - General under Browsing it is possible to "Use Auto-scrolling" and "Use-Soft-Scrolling" ...
What are really the difference?

I have tried both (Also two at the same time) But was not quite able to see much difference in my scrolling ...

:oops:

But is there an explanation of the difference of Auto-Scrolling and Soft-Scrolling ?

(And I guess it is unwise to use both on the same time ?! - As they make some sort of conflict on each other ... Right ?)
Rudolph
Alan Baxter

Re: ... Auto-Scrolling or Soft-Scrolling ...

Post by Alan Baxter »

Rudolph wrote:In Firefox Options - General under Browsing it is possible to "Use Auto-scrolling" and "Use-Soft-Scrolling" ...

I think you misread that. It's "Use smooth scrolling"

But is there an explanation of the difference of Auto-Scrolling and Soft-Scrolling ?

Yes. Click on the Help button in the bottom-right corner of the Options dialog.

(And I guess it is unwise to use both on the same time ?! - As they make some sort of conflict on each other ... Right ?)

I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with both enabled, but I don't use either of them myself.

Hope this helps. Any other questions?
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

Alan Baxter wrote:
Rudolph wrote:In Firefox Options - General under Browsing it is possible to "Use Auto-scrolling" and "Use-Soft-Scrolling" ...

I think you misread that. It's "Use smooth scrolling"

On my Danish Firefox version it is written : "Anvend blød scrolling" (Translated directly : "Use soft scrolling")

Yes. Click on the Help button in the bottom-right corner of the Options dialog.

Thank you for that advise - Yes, you are right... It is called "Smooth scrolling" there (As it is in English language inside)

I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with both enabled, but I don't use either of them myself.

Well - Why not? - I am just cuious ;-)

Hope this helps. Any other questions?

Thanks for "Help Button" Tip ! Alan Baxter
Well - If you know about "CostomizeGoogle" - I use that and find it quite usefull on Firefox.

Know there is a verion made for Internet Explorer, based on Firefox version, by another creator - Ran Geva.
(Who I did write to - but did not get a reply)
I use IE very seldom - But in some situations.
Did try this "CustomizeGoogle" for IE - But can not get it to work proberly.
All it do is add some search-engines to the top of Google results - Yahoo, Lycos and so (Like it is on Firefox).
But no seach sugestions, numbers or anything (Like it is in Firefox).

So - If you know if it work or not (On Windows Vista) I am interested in knowing about it.
(But is is not so important, as I use Firefox 99% - But again ... I am curious ;-) -
And it is supposed to work...

--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7
Rudolph
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you enable "Autoscrolling" the you get a special icon if you middle click on a web page and moving the mouse up or down or left or right relative to that icon scrolls the page in the chosen direction.

Smooth scrolling make the scrolling more smooth then the jumpy move of 3 lines that you normally get.

So they both serve different purposes and do not interfere.
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

dickvl wrote:If you enable "Autoscrolling" the you get a special icon if you middle click on a web page and moving the mouse up or down or left or right relative to that icon scrolls the page in the chosen direction.

Smooth scrolling make the scrolling more smooth then the jumpy move of 3 lines that you normally get.

So they both serve different purposes and do not interfere.

Thank you for that fine explanation, dickv !
=D>
In that cache I will enable Autoscrolling as well (As Smooth, as I already have) -
Thought both was a bad idéa ...
:locked:
Rudolph
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're welcome.

I've autoscrolling disabled, because it can cause a problem if you try to middle click a link to open them in a new tab and just miss a small icon or link: that makes Firefox unwillingly enter autoscrolling mode.

There has been a bookmarklet posted to (auto) scroll a web page:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 78#2776878
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

dickvl wrote:You're welcome.

I've autoscrolling disabled, because it can cause a problem if you try to middle click a link to open them in a new tab and just miss a small icon or link: that makes Firefox unwillingly enter autoscrolling mode.

There has been a bookmarklet posted to (auto) scroll a web page:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 78#2776878

OK, then - It seams that I shall stay only "Smooth" (as I already was), as I do not want any problems ;-)

But I got a little wiser, also reading the link you send, dickvl
Rudolph
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

You're welcome, Rudolph. Glad to point you in the right direction. :D And I'm especially glad that dickvl could chime in too. He's a great resource.

Rudolph wrote:
Alan Baxter wrote:I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with both enabled, but I don't use either of them myself.

Well - Why not? - I am just cuious ;-)

dickvl explained the problem with auto-scrolling. I didn't like smooth scrolling when I first tried it a couple of years ago. I forget why.

Did try this "CustomizeGoogle" for IE - But can not get it to work proberly.

Never tried it on either Fx or IE. Sorry I can't help.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Maybe you had problems with images on web sites: Firefox scrolls slower if there are large images on a web site.
For text is looks better: I like that the scrolling is getting slower if you reach the end of the begin of the page (no abrupt stop).
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

That must have been it. Thanks for the reminder.
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

Alan Baxter wrote:You're welcome, Rudolph. Glad to point you in the right direction. :D And I'm especially glad that dickvl could chime in too. He's a great resource.

Thank you for your kind help - Both of you Alan Baxter and dickvl ! - It is nice with personal advise and personal experiences !

Did try this "CustomizeGoogle" for IE - But can not get it to work properly.

Never tried it on either Fx or IE. Sorry I can't help.

Well - Try it (If you "have the time and energy") - I think it is a extra + on Googlesearch in Firefox, as it make the results look a little better in my opinion (But it is of cause a matter of personal taste). I like the small Icons on search-results and the numbers (make it "easier" to see what link to return to ... No. 88) And quite many other things. Think it is a nice add-ons for Goggle. - See for yourself, if you want.

But, as I said : It do not work (for me) in Internet Explorer. - Well Never Mind That - Main thing is that it work in Firefox, my favorite Browser.
Did you try other Browsers? - I have tried Safari Beta 3 and Opera and liked them (But still prefer Firefox).
And - Do you have a favorite skin? - I like Aluminum Kai 2 (Even though default is good looking)
Rudolph
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

You make the CustomizeGoogle extension sound appealing. I'll check it out.

I use only Firefox -- and IE in a pinch for Windows Updates and other IE only sites. I use the IE View extension. Default profile only for me. I find it easy to use and it doesn't cause any hard to troubleshoot conflicts with my 43(44?) extensions.