After updating to 2.0.0.7 NO webpages will load! Please help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

With renaming you bypass the firewall and other security programs. They will regard firefox1.exe as a different program as firefox.exe.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
SilentNutcracker

Post by SilentNutcracker »

I know. But the interesting thing is, that i have no personal firewall. I have Kaspersky Internet Security with disabled firewall. I tried to disable Kaspersky before. But the problem was still there with Kaspersky turned off.
Also i dont understand, why a persona firewall should block firefox after an update. There where several updates already, which caused no problems...
trolly

Post by trolly »

There are reports about Kaspersky still blocking even when disabled. The only way around was uninstalling Kaspersky.
Firewalls remember the exact version of each allowed program. Once a program is updated it is changed for the firewall. If the firewall makers can get the new "checksum" to their firewall before the user updates the firewall already know the new version. Otherwise it had to ask the user what some firewalls (and other security programs) are not doing.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

SilentNutcracker wrote:I know. But the interesting thing is, that i have no personal firewall. I have Kaspersky Internet Security with disabled firewall. I tried to disable Kaspersky before. But the problem was still there with Kaspersky turned off.
Also i dont understand, why a persona firewall should block firefox after an update. There where several updates already, which caused no problems...

Its a KIS issue, read here:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?sh ... t&p=439830

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a9pre) Gecko/2007092305 Minefield/3.0a9pre Firefox/3.0 ID:2007092305
bbTT

Post by bbTT »

I have the exact same problem as refine. Images frequently do not show up for me on such sites as myspace, justjared.com, dlisted.com. I do not run a software firewall (I'm behind a router) and I use Antivir. I deleted the program folder and profile and reinstalled 2.07 but the problem with loading images returned so I'm now back with 2.06. Mozilla please help!
trolly

Post by trolly »

Without changing settings the images load in .6 but not .7 ?
Did you try this with .7 ?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=288184
bbTT

Post by bbTT »

Without changing settings the images load in .6 but not .7 ? Yes

I'll try your suggestion when I get back home.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

SilentNutcracker wrote:Hi,
i had the same problem. I found a "solution" on the net. Quite funny, but it works for me. Rename firefox.exe to firefox1.exe . :D

Me too, on page 3 of this tread
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 21#3062821
who reads have the advantage :P

Sorry for threadspam :wink:

Back to topic

trolly wrote:... Firewalls remember the exact version of each allowed program. Once a program is updated it is changed for the firewall. If the firewall makers can get the new "checksum" to their firewall before the user updates the firewall already know the new version...

Exactly this is the reason, why Fx version 2.0.0.7 was firewalled:
Normally the latest RC of a new version (which always is offered by Mozilla's release team to firewall vendors) is shipped in "ftp.../nightlies" about two weeks before official release
This time Fx 2.0.0.7 RC2 was shipped on sept 14th and because of status "emergency-release" already released 4 days later with only one bugfix

Most of firewall-vendors (not AV-vendors!) update only once a week firewall-signatures. So Fx 2.0.0.7 was earlier released than firewall vendors could update the "whitelist"

The 'problem is, that some firewall-programs don't ask, because
*users have disabled "ask me" in options of fw-software
*fw are disabled by user, but do run in the background
*update-subscription is not prolonged by users
* old, not deinstalled trial version still running
*fw not clean deinstalled
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Amsterdammer wrote:Most of firewall-vendors (not AV-vendors!) update only once a week firewall-signatures. So Fx 2.0.0.7 was earlier released than firewall vendors could update the "whitelist"

The 'problem is, that some firewall-programs don't ask, because
*users have disabled "ask me" in options of fw-software
*fw are disabled by user, but do run in the background
*update-subscription is not prolonged by users
* old, not deinstalled trial version still running
*fw not clean deinstalled

I think that's exactly right. I have to say that it's very poor design for a firewall program to block access just because it hasn't received word of an update, but that's probably exactly what happens. As for users disabling "ask me" options, that surely happens too. That is most definitely a user error, but the others must be due to poor design or bugs in the firewall software.
trolly

Post by trolly »

That's the cause i run my ZA in medium mode (applications have to ask), not in low (learn) mode.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Oh, and don't forget, some firewalls just plain have bugs -- like Kaspersky firewall continuing to run after you tell it to shut down.
curtisk

Post by curtisk »

Just enable Kaspersky's Firewall, then set it to allow all. This will fix it for people running KIS!
Don't bother disabling it, because it doesn't.
AFC2

Zone Alarm

Post by AFC2 »

Anyone suffering FF failure using Zone Alarm.
I have just installed the latest version of ZA (v7.0.408.0) and told it to do a clean install instead of update and FF is now working. (ZA sorted out the wireless network itself too so it wasn't any hassle)
Andrey Ryabov

Firefox doesn't resolve names...

Post by Andrey Ryabov »

I had the same problem It was resoved by uninstalling of Kaspersky Antivirus!!!
Infinito

Kasperky Internet Security 7.

Post by Infinito »

I've installed Kapersky just minutes ago, and just after that, lots of pages on firefox wouldn't load (not even this very one, this thread).

What I've done was, not only disabling the firewall(which had no effect on the problem) but also anoother setting that seem to interphere directly on the internet connection, <u>the "Web-antivirus"</u>, which is not bundled on the firewall. Just click on "Protection" on the control pane to see it.

Worked for me.