Firefox Image Settings

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ramona

Firefox Image Settings

Post by Ramona »

By default the permissions.default.image setting is set to 1. However, a user reported that when he checked the setting "value" in about:config, it was set to 3.

I am puzzled by this, as he did not manually make this change. Is there an extension that could have an effect on this setting, or anything else within Fx that would change the setting without user permission?

Thanks!
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Well, an extension could've done it. Or anything else on her system outside Firefox too. The Firefox preferences can be controlled using http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

McAfee has been known to install a user.js file into Firefox to turn off the Firefox popup blocker so that the user is using the McAfee popup blocker part of their security suite. It is possible that something like a web accelerator program or extension could have changed that pref thru a user.js file, for example.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

Thanks FatJohn,

He uses NoScript, but then so do I and my setting wasn't changed from the default, so I have pretty much discounted this particular extension. I will definitely ask if he does have a user.js file, altho with access to about:config, this is more or less obsolete, isn't it?
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

I also have NoScript and I don't think that would be it, Having a user.js is a great way to store your preferences and move them over to new profiles. Just like scissors and knives. Both used for cutting but slightly different. :)
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

the-edmeister,

McAfee is a very sneaky app., and could be my friend uses it. I will also check out this possibility.

Thanks!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The setting of 3 (originating site only) was removed from "Tools > Options > Content : Load Images" in Firefox 2.
It is possible that it was a left over setting from Firefox 1.5.
Lost User 252204

Post by Lost User 252204 »

Just a quik note on McAfee, I too use to run it...key word use to.
It seemed to perform very well in the beginning, but eventually
it tried to get its' fingers into everything on my system, and the more fingers
it grew, the more small issues I started having...including with Firefox.
It took me a couple of hours to clean my system from that bloated cow, but when I did
my system seemed to be back to performing as it always has done. Funny, my troubles
with Firefox also disappeared. Go figure :)
Alice

Post by Alice »

dickvl wrote:The setting of 3 (originating site only) was removed from "Tools > Options > Content : Load Images" in Firefox 2.
It is possible that it was a left over setting from Firefox 1.5.

That's the likely explanation (user selected the option in Fx 1.5, updated to Fx 2, UI disappeared)

For the record, information about that setting is documented in the KB:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_ani ... o_not_load
In Firefox, look under "Tools -> Options -> Content" and
* Make sure that "Load images" is checked ("Load images automatically" in Firefox 2)
* Make sure that "for the originating website only" is not checked. In Firefox 2, this option has been removed from the user interface [2]. Use about:config to make sure that the preference permissions.default.image is set to "1", the default value (right-click and select "Reset" if any other value is shown).

If you check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Permissions.default.image it links to:
Bug 287571 - Remove UI for 'Load Images for the originating web site only' pref
Alice Wyman
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Nice one Alice!
Ramona

Post by Ramona »

That is the information I gave the user I am helping, with the exception of the Bug Report:

Loading Images with Firefox

The setting can be edited in about:config

Clear the Location Bar, then type: about:config
In the "Filter" field type: permissions.default.image

The settings are:

1 Allow all images to load, regardless of origin. (Default)

2 Block all images from loading.

3 Prevent third-party images from loading.

Ramona,
That did it. It was set to 3 rather than 1 - so no images showed. How on earth did it get set to 3? Did this happen when I upgraded to the latest version of FF? Shouldn't it have been the default value = 1?

ackerberg

Bob,

Not sure how it was set to 3, since the default is 1. Could be when you upgraded to 2.0.x.x from 1.5, you had that setting?