How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
jaylw2000

How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Post by jaylw2000 »

I'm using Mozilla 1.5 on Windows '98 SE...

My problem occurs when I'm on the MLB (baseball) message boards. Often when I try to reload the main topic page I get a popup confirm box that says "The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA..."

I can click "OK" and reload the page anyway, but does anyone know how I can get rid of this confirm box?

I've searched Google and mozillaZine and I can't find anything...any help would be appreciated!
herman

Re: How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Post by herman »

jaylw2000 wrote:I'm using Mozilla 1.5 on Windows '98 SE...

My problem occurs when I'm on the MLB (baseball) message boards. Often when I try to reload the main topic page I get a popup confirm box that says "The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA..."

I can click "OK" and reload the page anyway, but does anyone know how I can get rid of this confirm box?

I've searched Google and mozillaZine and I can't find anything...any help would be appreciated!

This box warns you that you are about to place your order a second time.
It´s really useful, so if you are trying to order a Porsche online, you don´t get three delivered next day ;-)

herman
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

This is a very common situation on sites that you have logged into by entering data in a form.

You can probably return to the main topic page by clicking on a direct link to take you there. Once you have done this one time, you should be able to use your "back" button to return there for the rest of your browser session.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
y3k

Post by y3k »

apparently theres nothing you can do about it currently, i find it annoying aswell
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually, what I find ennoying is when you post data and end up to a page, and hit the back button and it wants to reload the page. Is there a way to make it so it loads from the cache, when using the back button? I understand if I'm pressing refresh, but if I hit back, I normally want to go *back* the the same page and not reload it. I can't find a setting for this but I'm sure there should be one somewhere.
[img]http://www.iceteks.com/misc/sig/redsquirrel.jpg[/img] - Image signatures are not allowed, disabled.
http://www.iceteks.com
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

IMO the problem here is with how the web designer designed the user interaction and is misusing POST. During a normal browsing process you should not be forced to do this as implicit resubmitting of the form might be very dangerous and produce unintended results. As far as I know the W3 standard requires/guarantees that the result of a POST should NEVER be fetched from the cache - one would have to use GET if the option of caching is wanted.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
kurgbe

I don't buy Porsche ...

Post by kurgbe »

Since I don't buy Porsche(s) I would like to have an option to disable this POSTDATA warning and use the page in cache, as suggested by Red Squirrel and Johann. It would greatly easy the navigation.

Concerning the W3 standard, I think we should take a pragmatic approach: Mozilla should support W3C standards and also dominant practices on the Web. If not people will go away from Mozilla. Personally I left Opera because too many sites were not viewable with it. I hope I will never have to do the same with Mozilla.

By the way the Mozilla POSTDATA message is too techie for the average web user.

Shouldn't we alert the Mozilla development team about the whole issue?
tobypowell

Re: How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Post by tobypowell »

herman wrote:... so if you are trying to order a Porsche online, you don´t get three delivered next day ;-)

What website is that on? They deliver porsches next day? I'll have 8 (and click the OK button 8 times)
michaell522

Re: I don't buy Porsche ...

Post by michaell522 »

kurgbe wrote:Since I don't buy Porsche(s) I would like to have an option to disable this POSTDATA warning and use the page in cache, as suggested by Red Squirrel and Johann. It would greatly easy the navigation.

As I understand it, the cached page is usually used. The POSTDATA thing only appears when it can't be for some reason. The only option would be to resubmit the data to the server without prompting, and that's already been decided against, even as an option.

Concerning the W3 standard, I think we should take a pragmatic approach: Mozilla should support W3C standards and also dominant practices on the Web. If not people will go away from Mozilla. Personally I left Opera because too many sites were not viewable with it. I hope I will never have to do the same with Mozilla.

Internet Explorer and Opera also have a warning about resubmitting form data.

By the way the Mozilla POSTDATA message is too techie for the average web user.
Shouldn't we alert the Mozilla development team about the whole issue?

They're certainly aware of "the whole issue" - removing the message definitely isn't going to happen.

The message is a bit techie - someone could file a bug on that and suggest a better message (if there isn't already a bug filed about that). Also, if there are circumstances where Mozilla isn't using a cached page when it should be, that could also be a bug worth filing.
johann_p

Re: I don't buy Porsche ...

Post by johann_p »

kurgbe wrote:Since I don't buy Porsche(s) I would like to have an option to disable this POSTDATA warning and use the page in cache, as suggested by Red Squirrel and Johann. It would greatly easy the navigation.

I never suggested that, on the contrary: as I have pointed out, the result of a POST submission is intended by the standard to be used for actions that cause a side-effect. This implies that the result should not get cached, and hence, the user should ALWAYS be aware of the form getting resubmitted. A setting to disable the warning would be extremely dangerous.
As I have pointed out above, this is bad design by the web author and you should complain to him/her.
y3k

Post by y3k »

ok how about a really complicated way of removing the postadata dialog, so only people who Really want it can do so :)
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
dirtyoldm

I'm with y3k

Post by dirtyoldm »

The excuses for not fixing this are more of the same bureaucrat mentality that insists IE is not the standard and we shouldn't display ALT text.

A browser has to cope with bad web pages as much as possible. I will believe there's no way to fix this when I believe the globe is warming up and the ice caps will melt and we'll all drown.

I have reflexively hit OK when that stupid box pops up for years, so it isn't protecting me from anything.

Personally, I have never seen a page that does NOT require you to hit a button to submit, and which will order you another 911 Carerra just by loading the page again.

Besides, dealing with an incorect order once in 5 years is still less work than clicking 10,000 damn POSTDATA boxes.
ByteTraveler

Post by ByteTraveler »

johann_p wrote:IMO the problem here is with how the web designer designed the user interaction and is misusing POST...

Ah, and that would include this forum? I can't read a thread, and hit "back" to return to the index without the annoying POSTDATA message.

It renders phpBB sites (and many others that make extensive use of POSTDATA) virtually unusable.

How "using" POST can be "misusing" it is a remarkable comment, but not handling it intelligently in the browser is the design flaw.
solarflare4hair

Post by solarflare4hair »

ByteTraveler wrote:Ah, and that would include this forum? I can't read a thread, and hit "back" to return to the index without the annoying POSTDATA message.

Really? I have never had that message appear on this forum (or any phpBB forum). The only time this should happen on this forum is if you go back to a page that was served after you submitted something (message, topic, reply, etc.)

edit: Even when I do that it doesn't happen, probably because the system uses a redirect after changing the database appropriately.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I've never seen a postdata confirmation dialog anywhere on this board either...