Sound won't play through my USB Headset

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
thedoberman90

Sound won't play through my USB Headset

Post by thedoberman90 »

Hi, the problem I'm experiencing is that any sound from firefox will not be played through my headphones, even though they are the default sound under my sound options. It is defaulting to my sound card where I have speakers plugged in but are off. So how do I fix firefox so it searches for the default sound card at the time, because I'm going to be switching between speakers and headsets often. Thanks a lot.
thedoberman90

Post by thedoberman90 »

No one can help?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

How many places (or programs) do you have "sound options"? Many versions of Windows along with special software that comes with the better sound cards have multiple places to access those settings, and they aren't always the same group of settings in all the locations.
1. The System Tray has Volume settings that some times get "muted", and that may not show in other sound dialog boxes.
2. The Control Panel > Sounds & Multimedia -> Hardware is the one place you have access to most of the Hardware settings for devices and drivers on-board.
3. Specialized programs for the Sound Card.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
thedoberman90

Post by thedoberman90 »

I only have 2 the default control panel and the system tray, and my sound card creative audio console. My speakers are hooked up to my sound card and they are turned off in this case so it is muted. Having this muted wouldn't affect my headset because it is a usb headset and thus it doesn't pass through my sound card. Also none of my settings are muted, as all my other applications are playing sound fine through my default device (headphones in this case). However firefox refuses to play sound through my default device and just keeps playing it through my speakers, I can tell its doing this because if i keep my speakers on it will play through them.
trolly

Post by trolly »

BTW: Firefox usually do not use the sound card but the plugins do.
If it is a flash right click on it and select "Settings". Maybe you have to tell each plugin separately.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
thedoberman90

Post by thedoberman90 »

It must be a Firefox problem and not a flash or divx problem because if I load the pages using IE7 or Opera, which are using the same plugins for flash and divx, the sound will come out of my headphones and not try and come out my speakers. So it must be Firefox choosing to play through the wrong sound card.
trolly

Post by trolly »

No. IE uses a different architecture that Firefox, Opera is using the same plugins as far as i know.
Firefox does not access any sound devices because sound is not built in.

You can still perform the standard diagnostics.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
thedoberman90

Post by thedoberman90 »

trolly wrote:No. IE uses a different architecture that Firefox, Opera is using the same plugins as far as i know.
Firefox does not access any sound devices because sound is not built in.

You can still perform the standard diagnostics.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
I just followed that links instructions, deleted my plugins and reinstalled (both Divx and Flash). My problem persisted so I uninstalled Firefox ccleanered my registry and reinstalled and I'm still unable to get sound in my headphones.
Edit: forgot to mention I did the same to Opera, as you said they are using the same plugins as Firefox and the result is that after Opera's reinstall it's sounds work. I guess I could switch to using opera if I want sound in anything but I prefer Firefox and would like to see if I can fix this issue.
trolly

Post by trolly »

UAC on or off? I don't know if UAC can block the access to devices.
thedoberman90

Post by thedoberman90 »

off