Flash on Firebird on Win2k doesn't work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Brainybuffoon

Flash on Firebird on Win2k doesn't work

Post by Brainybuffoon »

Here's the last few steps in my attempt to get Flash to run on Firebird.

1. I previously had Firebird installed from the .zip archive available on mozilla.com. I deleted the folder in which Firebird was installed, downloaded the installer from the texturizer site, and installed it to C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird. My taskbar was empty at the time, and I had closed most of the programs in the systray as well.
2. I immediately opened Windows Explorer and ran the Flash 7 Player installer for Netscape, which I had previously downloaded. It showed me a list of browsers to install the plugin to. I selected "Firebird" and told it to install.
3. After installation had completed, I ran Firebird and accessed a page with a Flash object in it. Firebird did not display the object - no placeholder, no whitespace, nothing, as though it didn't exist.
4. I went to the Macromedia site and downloaded the Shockwave Player installer. I ran that too, having closed every visible program. Same problem as before.
5. Restart. Same problem as before.
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

Did you have the zip version in your C:\ drive, or the C:\Program Files folder?

Usually why Flash doesn't work, is because the registry entry doesn't point to where Firebird is situated.

Also check if the NPSWF32.dll has been loaded into your Firebird plugins folder.
Brainybuffoon

Post by Brainybuffoon »

What's the zip version?

I don't know much about the registry, but I went to regedit and found a key in folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Firebird\Extensions, by the name of "Plugins," with data "C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird\Plugins," which I think is the correct folder.

The .dll is in the plugins folder.