Mozilla Mail folder processing

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite

Mozilla Mail folder processing

Post by Guest »

anyone else experienced this with Mozilla Mail? - "this folder is being processed please wait until processing is finished to receive new messages" it comes up now and then but takes forever like today ive been waiting 5 hours now for new messages its a pain in the ass! is this right? any way around it?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support where the Mozilla Suite is supported.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

Re: Mozilla Mail folder processing

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:anyone else experienced this with Mozilla Mail? - "this folder is being processed please wait until processing is finished to receive new messages" it comes up now and then but takes forever like today ive been waiting 5 hours now for new messages its a pain in the ass! is this right? any way around it?
SummerStorms

Post by SummerStorms »

I'm having the same problem. I even closed SM and reopened it, and the same thing is happening. How do I fix this? And the folders are already compacted.

It used to work just fine, and the email account itself (Gmail) hasn't changed. And I don't use McAfee.

WinXP Home, SM 1.1.4, no extensions installed yet because I just did a clean install of SM on this particular machine in an attempt to clear this problem up.
Happiness is waking up and finding the Microsoft logo under a banner that reads "Missing" on the side of your milk carton.
Technology is a wonderful thing - when it actually works.
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

It might be a corrupted mail index file. Before downloading mail, try right clicking on the Inbox, the select Properties. You should see a button labeled "Rebuild Index" or "Rebuild Summary File". Or you can just navigate to the mail folder in the file system and (with SeaMonkey closed) delete the file Inbox.msf. SeaMonkey will rebuild the file the next time you open the mail client.

If this doesn't help, then the problem might be with the file the contains the mail (the one without the .msf extension) . This happened to me a few times when the actual mail file became corrupted, but I use the SM 2.0a nightly builds, so I expect that things can go wrong from time to time. I had to edit the file in a text editor to correct the corruption. Not hard to do (just tedious), but you have to know what to look for.
But then again, I may be wrong.
SummerStorms

Post by SummerStorms »

This is a brand new installation of SM, and I started over clean with the mail utility, deleting the account and building a new one. Should I even be able to have that problem with a brand-new account? I mean, what's happening is that it isn't even properly downloading my email; it starts and then hangs up at the "this folder is being processed."

But I'm trying the rebuild now, just in case. It's being s-l-o-w, though. Oh, wait, now it's finished (I'm posting here via my other laptop) and now the email box is EMPTY, and all commands to get new messages are being completely ignored.

It wasn't supposed to do that, was it? And now what am I supposed to do?
Happiness is waking up and finding the Microsoft logo under a banner that reads "Missing" on the side of your milk carton.
Technology is a wonderful thing - when it actually works.

Post by Guest »

SummerStorms wrote:I'm having the same problem. I even closed SM and reopened it, and the same thing is happening. How do I fix this? And the folders are already compacted.

It used to work just fine, and the email account itself (Gmail) hasn't changed. And I don't use McAfee.

WinXP Home, SM 1.1.4, no extensions installed yet because I just did a clean install of SM on this particular machine in an attempt to clear this problem up.
spike101

Post by spike101 »

Just hooked up Mozilla mail. Has some good feature, getting around this processing folder crap is not one of them. Bring back Netscape 7.2
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

And what does this have to do with SeaMonkey? The Mozilla Suite is long dead, just as this topic was...