Thunderbird won't move junk mail to the Junk folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DKay

Thunderbird won't move junk mail to the Junk folder

Post by DKay »

Well I went to the Account Settings a couple of times already and checked 'Move new junk messages to:', choosing '"Junk" folder on: Local Folders'. Problem is though, that while the mail's junk status is marked as junk, it still remains in the Inbox folder, not moving over the Junk folder.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Have you also set up the Junk Mail controls in Tools | Options | Privacy | Junk?
DKay

Post by DKay »

No s'matter of fact I didn't... Thanks. I'll see if it works once I got some more junk mail (shouldn't take too long).
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

If your Inbox is in Local Folders, you need to set the Junk mail controls for the "Local Folders" account, not the real account.

May be Spyware

Post by Guest »

Hi!!

I had the same problem. I've trained Thunderbird for 3 weeks and it wasn't able to identify between ham and spam messages.

The problem, I had spyware. This program was running in the background blocking me to edit the Windows Register. Simply, press Start-Run and then type "regedit" without quotes, and if you get the message "Registry editing has been disabled by your Administrator".

The solution, use Elistar software to remove it. Then Thunderbird will be able to save "what it had learned" in the Windows Registry and then send ham to your Inbox and spam to where it should be.. Trash.

Hope to be useful this information.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Er, the training data is NOT stored in the registry. Are you attempting to spam this forum with this this unknown software? If so, you did a very bad job of it.

I apologize

Post by Guest »

Hi Dkay..

Sorry if you thought I was promoting this or any other software.. well, I've learned it's not polite to name a specific software to remove spyware. I apologize.

I didn't mean that the training information is stored in the Registry. What I meant was the settings to which folder send the spam, Trash or the Junk Folder. After I removed this spyware, Thunderbird started to work perfectly.

Thank you and hope you answer and I'll register for future posts.

Juan (Greetings from MX)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Not one that a Google search does not bring up...

That information is not in the Registry either.

Spyware can mess up lots of files. No matter what it caused, it was best to remove it.

Thanks Daifne

Post by Guest »

Thank you once again.

See you..

Daifne wrote:Not one that a Google search does not bring up...

That information is not in the Registry either.

Spyware can mess up lots of files. No matter what it caused, it was best to remove it.
DKay

Post by DKay »

I scan my system regularly for nasty stuff.
Anyhow, bkennelly's suggestion seems to solve it. Thanks for the help.
juren

Junk Mail Controls - moving Junk mail to Junk Folder

Post by juren »

SKopischke wrote:Have you also set up the Junk Mail controls in Tools | Options | Privacy | Junk?

Thanks for this tip - - Privacy area was the one place I hadn't looked in for this switch - - it is a logical place to put it but a different place from earlier versions.

Thanks again for the tip.

JAU
sharonie2

Re: Thunderbird won't move junk mail to the Junk folder

Post by sharonie2 »

I have checked the box 'move them to the accounts junk folder' and still the junk does not move anywhere. I did not seem to have a 'junk folder' so I created one - I'm sure this is wrong but as there was no junk folder already created, I didn't know what else to do! My junk (10 times more than normal emails) still appear mixed in with my good emails. I want them to go in another folder - surely this should be easy - I've been trawling help for 2 hours now and cant find any useful help on how to do this very basic thing. What am I missing?
LIMPET235

Re: Thunderbird won't move junk mail to the Junk folder

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sharonie2...
Please start a new thread & leave these oldies (October 2007) to R.I.P.
Thank you.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)