Some issues I've encountered (WMV/RAR opening, etc)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lost User 23393

Some issues I've encountered (WMV/RAR opening, etc)

Post by Lost User 23393 »

I've been using Firebird as my default browser since 0.7. I've just now downloaded the MozJF Dec. 21 build (latest as of this post) to see some of the new features and see if some bugs have been fixed. I've installed three extensions: TabBrowser Extensions (the latest, 1.10), Popup ALT Attribute, and Things They Left Out (0.1.4.2).

First: no matter what I do, WMV, WMA, ACE and RAR files all are attempted to be opened by the browser rather than passed off as a download link like MP3s, etc. Inside preferences, I've added these four filetypes and specified to use the default application to open them (which is Winamp in the first 2 cases, PowerArchiver in the second 2), but this still opens in firebird (or it attempts to, its jibberish).

Second: About 30% of the time while logging into GayCanada.com (no flames, please), the browser simply crashes. This occured in 0.7 and it still occurs now. When 0.7 crashed I used the TalkBack to send in a crash report (many times), but it appears that's not an option in the build I have now. I've no idea what could be causing the crash.
old momokatte

Re: Some issues I've encountered (WMV/RAR opening, etc)

Post by old momokatte »

Asher wrote:no matter what I do, WMV, WMA, ACE and RAR files all are attempted to be opened by the browser rather than passed off as a download link like MP3s, etc. Inside preferences, I've added these four filetypes and specified to use the default application to open them (which is Winamp in the first 2 cases, PowerArchiver in the second 2), but this still opens in firebird (or it attempts to, its jibberish).

I'm also using MozJF's 20031221 build, and the MIME-type override is working for me. Binary media files served with a text/plain content-type are saved to disk instead of displayed as text in the browser. The only bug I'm getting with that feature is that I'm prompted for every download of a MIME-overridden file even if I've set it to save to disk every time.

Asher wrote:About 30% of the time while logging into GayCanada.com (no flames, please), the browser simply crashes. This occured in 0.7 and it still occurs now. When 0.7 crashed I used the TalkBack to send in a crash report (many times), but it appears that's not an option in the build I have now. I've no idea what could be causing the crash.

First, make sure you can reproduce the crash with a clean profile, all extensions disabled, and Java disabled. If you continue to get the crash, file a Bugzilla bug so people with debug builds can find the cause of the crash and get it fixed.
Lost User 23393

Both of these bugs are reproducable on two systems I run, albeit both with Tabbrowser Extensions (perhaps that is the culprit?). My laptop and desktop both run Windows XP Professional (fully patched).

I'll try disabling the extensions and see if it still crashes and screws with MIME...
Lost User 23393

I've tried it with a clean profile and no extensions, with Java disabled. The MIME bug (opening files like WMV inside Firebird) is most definitely still there, even though the clean profile explicitly tells Firebird to use Winamp to play WMV files.

I couldn't reproduce the login-crash bug though.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Tabbrowser Extensions has been known to cause javascript-related crashes in some nightly builds, and it's possible that there are new incompatibilities in the 0.8 branch builds. If you can't wait for a TBE update for the 0.8 branch/milestone, you might want to revert to a 20031212 trunk build for the time being.

As for the download bug -- do you have an example of a WMV that is opening as text in Firebird instead of opening in WinAmp?
Lost User 23393

Any WMV I could try: IGN.com videos of games, and this random one: http://download2.tabuleiro.com/sampleme ... 00high.wmv

(I just searched for "sample WMV" in google to get that). The IGN videos play fine when the WMV is embedded inside a window, but when it's a direct link is when it tries to open it in Firebird.

The same thing happens with any WMA file. But MP3 works as it should.
Similarly, ZIP works fine, but ACE and RAR try to open in firebird as well.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

http://download2.tabuleiro.com/sampleme ... 00high.wmv is being served with a text/plain content-type, and should trigger the new MIME-correction behavior. On my system (Win98) it displays the download dialog, and lets me choose whether to open the file in a helper application or save the file to disk. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't do the same thing on your system.
scratch

Post by scratch »

are you sure you did an absolutely clean install? you can't install over an old version.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

The mimetype fix is only in the Firebird 0.8 branch
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Label2021

Post by Label2021 »

Im also using mozilla firebird on windows xp pro. I have the same problem. rar, wmv, and all the tohers he listed, are being opened by mozilla instead of being asked to download. does ANYONE know why?
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

alanjstr wrote:The mimetype fix is only in the Firebird 0.8 branch

Looks like MozJF made both trunk and branch builds that day. I was using the branch build, Asher was probably using the trunk build.
allnighter

Post by allnighter »

Label2021 wrote:Im also using mozilla firebird on windows xp pro. I have the same problem. rar, wmv, and all the tohers he listed, are being opened by mozilla instead of being asked to download. does ANYONE know why?

I have the same problem on xp pro, and also have tabbrowser extensions installed.