chrome registration failed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ramjet1121

chrome registration failed

Post by Ramjet1121 »

Just loaded Firefox on new Lenovo tablet. Also installed several extensions. Now get error msg when starting Firefox (3 times in a row) saying that it failed chrome registration, then Firefox seems to run OK. also have had lockups when trying to activate some extension options. I've never had any of these type problems with Firefox ever in years of use.

Any suggestions?
Heck is where people go who don't believe in Gosh.
DPMR

Post by DPMR »

You should try using the Firefox safe mode to see if in new extensions are the cause.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
Mozilla/Anything Firefox I like the challenge
S.t.e.v.e

Post by S.t.e.v.e »

I got the same chrome registration errors since updating to 2.0.0.8. The only thing that I could do to fix this was to reinstall Firefox 2.0.0.7 on top of 2.0.0.8, and everything started working fine again.
9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

I got the same thing but I had not installed any new extensions.

Windows Vista.

Firefox could not install this item because of a failure in Chrome Registration.

So which item is it talking about? The error messages (3 in a row) don't say.
9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

By the way, these were my existing extensions when I upgraded FF to 2.0.0.8

These were all working OK in 2.0.0.7

DOM Inspector 1.8.1.8

Grease Monkey 0.7.20070607.0

Talk Back 2.0.0.8

ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0
9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

Starting in Safe Mode eliminated the error messages and Firefox started ok. Now how do I figure out which of the above extensions is causing the problem?
9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

OK wait.

I figured it out.

ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 is what's causing the problem in my PC.

Thing is, I didn't install this extension in the first place and don't know where it came from. It was already there when I installed Firefox, which hasn't been on the PC very long as the PC is almost new.
SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot »

9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

Unlike Ramjet who first posted in this thread, my PC is a Lenovo desktop and Mozilla didn't come with it and I didn't manually install ThinkVantage Password Manager so I don't know how it got installed as a Firefox extension. I installed Firefox after I got the computer.
twisted99

Post by twisted99 »

getting the same error on 1 day old thinkpad. I installed 5 add ons but not Thinkvantage, yet it is there. No firefox when purchased. How do I remove Thinkvantage? I tried tools>addons, but cannot select disable.
twisted99

Post by twisted99 »

good luck getting help from Lenovo, every page I click I get "there is a problem retrieving the document..."
twisted99

Post by twisted99 »

Started in safe mode and disabled thinkvantage. No more error, and now in the tools>addons it shows thinkvantage not compatible with 2.0.0.8
9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

twisted99 wrote:Started in safe mode and disabled thinkvantage. No more error, and now in the tools>addons it shows thinkvantage not compatible with 2.0.0.8

Apparently Lenovo has bundled this extension into their computers. It seems to install itself when you first install Firefox but if you upgrade your Firefox installation, you need to manually reinstall the thinkvantage extension for it to work again.

Earlier in this thread, a link was given to instructions on how to reinstall the extension, which is located in a Lenovo folder that was part of the Lenovo 'bundle'.

The extension seems to be compatible with FF 2.0.0.8, it's just that it doesn't update itself when Firefox is upgraded.

Here are those instructions for anybody who's interested:

Users must manually install the ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 Extension to enable FireFox browser support.

To install the ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 Extension for FireFox, complete the following procedure:

1. Open Firefox.
2. Click File, click Open File, then select the tvtpwm_moz_xpi.xpi file from the location where the Client Security Solution application is installed. For example "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Client Security Solution". The Software Installation window is displayed.
3. Click Install Now.
4. The plugin is displayed in the Extensions window while installing. A message prompting you to restart Firefox to complete the installation is displayed.
5. To verify that the .xpi file installed correctly, restart Firefox.
6. Click Tools, then click Extensions. ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 should be displayed in the extension list.
9nine9

Post by 9nine9 »

From what I can tell, the ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 Extension is only needed if you have a fingerprint reader. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
twisted99

Post by twisted99 »

9nine9 wrote:
twisted99 wrote:Started in safe mode and disabled thinkvantage. No more error, and now in the tools>addons it shows thinkvantage not compatible with 2.0.0.8

Apparently Lenovo has bundled this extension into their computers. It seems to install itself when you first install Firefox but if you upgrade your Firefox installation, you need to manually reinstall the thinkvantage extension for it to work again.

Earlier in this thread, a link was given to instructions on how to reinstall the extension, which is located in a Lenovo folder that was part of the Lenovo 'bundle'.

The extension seems to be compatible with FF 2.0.0.8, it's just that it doesn't update itself when Firefox is upgraded.

Here are those instructions for anybody who's interested:

Users must manually install the ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 Extension to enable FireFox browser support.

To install the ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 Extension for FireFox, complete the following procedure:

1. Open Firefox.
2. Click File, click Open File, then select the tvtpwm_moz_xpi.xpi file from the location where the Client Security Solution application is installed. For example "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Client Security Solution". The Software Installation window is displayed.
3. Click Install Now.
4. The plugin is displayed in the Extensions window while installing. A message prompting you to restart Firefox to complete the installation is displayed.
5. To verify that the .xpi file installed correctly, restart Firefox.
6. Click Tools, then click Extensions. ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 should be displayed in the extension list.

tried to follow this but "tvtpwm_moz_xpi.xpi" does not show. Also if I "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Client Security Solution". no software installation window is displayed. What am I missing?

EDIT: re-read and now I got it. THANKS