Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
tqft

Post by tqft »

"g embedded Quicktime, because I have no idea how I got it working. "

do you have vlc installed including the moz plugin for it? it should play most quicktime
hhh

Post by hhh »

tqft, I have it working using mplayer and the mozilla-mplayer plugin installation instructions found here...
mplayer plugin
...but it did not work right out of the gate, and I reinstalled several times, and followed steps from several other sources. Finally by right-clicking the movie and installing the prompted extras and then repeating that several times, it worked for me. Not what I'd call an easy install.

BTW, it doesn't work for me at all in Minefield (installed in my /home/hhh/ folder), but stills shows a white field with the Firefox plugin icon and "Install missing plugins".

Link shortened to preserve forum format ...steviex, moderator
frcan

Post by frcan »

steviex wrote:Aha ... A link for frcan .... http://www.hevnikov.com/blog/2006/11/13 ... ot-screen/

Thanks Steviex for the link :D After re-installing Feisty (which I didn't want to do :( ) I finally succeeded in dual booting with Vista. I took the last part of This Tutorial and used EasyBCD which worked like a charm to dual boot with Feisty installed on an external HD :D

Now I have to find a driver for my modem. The one I had, and paid for, runs at 2 kb/s only in Ubuntu now :shock:

Edit: There is useful, and easy to follow info on dual booting HERE
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

With the new release of the Ubuntu 7.10 (the Gibbon or something) due out next week, I thought that some more tips here from all of you would be a 'good thing'.

Please try to keep vaguely on topic with this stuff (this as close to a 'gentle reminder' as it ever gets from me :)) ...as dross will be split off into Locked.

Tip for Kubuntu users - you know KMenu? This, as I had forgotten, is an applet and the menu background, etc. can look a bit dull to some. Well, to me. :P

Try KBFX instead. Looks really good and can be mucho configured to taste. There are also a good few themes for this, so Ubuntu users needn't feel left out - someone is bound to have done some old dull orange and brown thing for them as well, haha.

You can either use the slightly older RCversion in the Adept (Synaptic) Package Manager, which seems fine or go straight for the latest version, as follows.

Firstly, forget all this cmake nonsense on the kbfx site...this ain't 1999 any more - go straight for the pre-compiled packages here : http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=188184

Uninstall, via Add/Remove Manager, any previous versions of kbfx, right click your .deb from above link and select 'Kubuntu Package Manager' or similar and select...'Install'. Enter your usual password and you're done. Except for one thing, add the KBFX applet to the Taskbar and then restart. They always say, restart the X server, but I just reboot.

There really are some good themes for this stuff... :-k ...maybe I might make one also, well, how hard can it be? haha.......
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
hhh

Post by hhh »

Frank Lion wrote:With the new release of the Ubuntu 7.10 (the Gibbon or something) due out next week, I thought that some more tips here from all of you would be a 'good thing'.

I've tried to update from Feisty to Gutsy 3 times, every time my video driver and Compiz bonked. I'm going to do a fresh install when the disc comes out, I recommend the same for others.

Compiz Fusion is supposed to be on by default in Gibbon, as well as the Refocus plugin for Gimp.
steviex

Post by steviex »

^ Just updated mine to Beta (Impatient ain't I ) And I've found that it only selects Fusion if your system is up to it. (Mine isn't :( ) It could be something in the Beta that is corrected in the main release...

Once I'd downloaded the new files it took about an hour to do the update.....
You may find it easier to back up your home folder, then reformat the Ubuntu partition, and then fresh install Gutsy, from the Live CD, hhh, as you are having problems with the update.

Have a scamper round the Ubuntu Forums for specifics on your Video card... This issue may have a known fix, or work around.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
earther

Post by earther »

I've been watching the feedback on the Ubuntu forums and holding off even contemplating an upgrade. The numbers are not exactly encouraging. Here are the results from their poll of 901 users:

Upgrade - worked flawlessly 123 13.65%
Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve 221 24.53%
Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve 212 23.53%
Install - worked flawlessly 71 7.88%
Install - worked but had few things to solve 129 14.32%
Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve 145 16.09%

Part of what's holding me back is that I'm not really sure how to upgrade and preserve my dedicated /home partition. I would ask over on the Ubuntu forums but they already have more than they can handle.

What happens after I pop in the alternate CD? Will there be an option to keep the existing partition structure and leave /home alone? I've always just done a clean install before but don't want to start from scratch this time. Any suggestions?
steviex

Post by steviex »

It should not touch any /home files (Other than maybe altering configuration files for applications that have stuff in home).... My /home was totally untouched when I updated....... What it does is just upgrade all the packages, in the same way that the normal package upgrade, and Firefox update works.....
Then it will rewrite the links to the repositories...

If you are concerned about data loss do a backup of your home folder.... There are plenty of Backup programs in the repository.

If you use the Update Manager, it should be easy.... Just click on the details option, when it starts installing things, to watch what its up to.....

Or...
Ubuntu wrote:Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the Internet.

1. Download and burn the alternate installation CD.
2. Insert it into your CD-ROM drive.
3. A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

kdesu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
earther

Post by earther »

Not trying to generate negative energy but . . . can it really be that simple???? I'll be upgrading via alternate CD BTW.
sergio eduardo
Folder@Home

Post by sergio eduardo »

I had a feeling that I should not upgrade from 7.04 but I went ahead anyway . It worked fine until a reboot but I couldn't go back in . Tried a few other things but nothing worked so I downloaded the CD and did a fresh install . It's working fine now but a pain in the ass otherwise for a non-Linux geek like myself .
P.S. Is "pain in the ass" agreeable to the sheriffs ? 8-)
steviex

Post by steviex »

No worries... ^^ Basicallly back up /home so if anything goes *sproing* you have something to restore.... Same advice as with any major update to any computer program.....

earther

Post by earther »

sergio eduardo wrote:P.S. Is "pain in the ass" agreeable to the sheriffs ? 8-)

Try PITA. ;)
sergio eduardo
Folder@Home

Post by sergio eduardo »

No but thanks for the suggestion . It was a rhetorical question . :)
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Update of my laptop from Feisty to Gutsy failed and left the computer in a "maybe unusable state". Needed some fiddling and I was not happy.
Same happened when I upgraded my work computer from Edgy to Feisty last time and it cost me days to clean up the mess then.

I have decided not to update my work computer yet -- I simply do not want to take the risk of having to spend hours or days on a failed update.

I have no idea how long to wait though.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Harry Waldron

Post by Harry Waldron »

Just wanted to mention that our UNIX admin at work is running a few copies of 7.10 and gave me a brief tour last week. I may have to get a copy for home use ;)