How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

That's right. Mozilla will tell the site that it's IE.
Rick Harvey

Post by Rick Harvey »

Thank You Tremendously!
Help stamp out microsoft, Switch to LINUX, where updates ARE backward compatable. Does anyone know where I can get microsoft toilet paper?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

BenoitRen wrote:That's right. Mozilla will tell the site that it's IE.

.. which is great as a short term solution, but does nothing to influence the owner of the site to get it fixed. It 'shorts' the number of apparent Firefox connections he sees in his logs and 'pads' the IE connection records.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Luny

Heres a fix

Post by Luny »

I recently found this topic while looking for a solution myself. When I couldn't find one, I did it myself by "hacking" firefox. I created a program loader to get rid of this confirm nagscreen popup. You can read more about it here:

http://www.youfucktard.com/blog/2007/02 ... nfirm-nag/
david_ffm

Re: I don't buy Porsche ...

Post by david_ffm »

kurgbe wrote:Since I don't buy Porsche(s) I would like to have an option to disable this POSTDATA warning and use the page in cache, as suggested by Red Squirrel and Johann. It would greatly easy the navigation.

Concerning the W3 standard, I think we should take a pragmatic approach: Mozilla should support W3C standards and also dominant practices on the Web. If not people will go away from Mozilla. Personally I left Opera because too many sites were not viewable with it. I hope I will never have to do the same with Mozilla.

By the way the Mozilla POSTDATA message is too techie for the average web user.

Shouldn't we alert the Mozilla development team about the whole issue?

I agree, this is very annoying. It's also not better in 2.0.2.
I look at the current state of delays on the urban trains here in Frankfurt
and reload to get an update.

@Mozilla: If it has to be conform to iso/ansi blablabla and suchlike, how about
(the option of displaying) another button that reloads or automatically reposts
if the page is the result of a post, without confirmation?
As far as I'm concerned you can label the button "Order another Porsche" if you
want; I just want to be able to reload without having to confirm.

David
iiJeebz

Re: How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Post by iiJeebz »

[quote="jaylw2000"]I'm using Mozilla 1.5 on Windows '98 SE...

My problem occurs when I'm on the MLB (baseball) message boards. Often when I try to reload the main topic page I get a popup confirm box that says "The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA..."

Agreed, I find it incredibly annoying, in fact I arrived here looking for a way to get rid of it...

On average I face it about 20 - 30 times per days, and not once has it helped me. (I do know what it is for btw)

We should at least have the option to disable it, that would be great.

cordedpoodle

IT SUCKS

Post by cordedpoodle »

Why not have a pop up box that reads:

"430nmgvq' vja[098dppw3"

That would make as much sense to most people.

It just as well might be a blank dialogue box.

Personally I've never seen it pop up on a site where I was in danger of ordering something twice, but it pops up on the TV guide site I go do dozens of times a day dozens of times. Dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of times.

This is just a typical open source coder usability blunder. The denial of the fact that this is a blunder is why Microsoft and Macs are the dominant desktops. It seems like the coders just can't admit a mistake here. If Opensource were more user friendly they'd kill off the others.

And I hope it gets that way.
Mac OS9 iExp primary Mozilla & Nets 7 to test html
Win2K iExp5 Nets4.7 & 7 mostly to test html
Mac OSX used for awhile but not now.

Hate 'em all. Remind me of cars circa 1970.
TommyDIY

answer to your prayers perhaps...........

Post by TommyDIY »

this dude created a script to disable POSTDATA warnings in FF

http://www.youfucktard.com/blog/category/my-scripts/
jedhunsaker

The Real Problem

Post by jedhunsaker »

The real problem is that 99% of the web developers out there are retarded and they prefer to do what's easiest for them instead of what's easiest for the end-user.

Personally, I am a web developer and I always prefer what's easiest for the end-user and my web applications NEVER pop up this message because I know how to avoid it as a programmer. I absolutely hate the way ASP.NET handles ViewState because of this very problem and I refuse to use ViewState because of it and have yet to experience any problems.

I'm glad there's so much heat on this forum about how annoying this issue is because I always argue with fellow programmers that we should avoid this warning like the plague in our programming.

If you're a web developer and you want to know how to rid of this message, here's my rules of thumb:

(1) Always post forms with the GET method unless absolutely necessary to use POST
(2) You can POST a form to a page that has GET variables (i.e. action="thispage.php?var=value" and method="post").
(3) If you decide to use the POST method then make sure the page that handles the POST redirects to itself or somewhere else immediately after you're done with the POST data.

Any of the above solutions will make it so you can hit your Reload button to your heart's content without any annoying warning message.

I pray everyone starts adapting these rules or something else to make the Internet a better place for us all. I also read a solution where people would use MD5 hashes to verify data before it posts but I would consider this a backup plan in case something funky let the request through anyway. Or maybe it's the primary plan and my rules are the backup plan. Just for the love of God stop programming like a retard people!

Jed
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

It's normally a good idea to use POST rather than GET for reasons of security. POST hides variable values whereas GET will display them in the URL. If you use HTTPS, using GET will negate any encryption of sensitive information, since the data will be in the URL. Additionally, GET has a limit of 8,192 characters - POST has no data size limit.

Plus, not to beat a dead horse to death, but do your methods actually prevent you from buying your item a second time - or do they just prevent the warning message? (Assuming that the actual site you're coding isn't selling anything, then there's no problem if it does just prevent the warning.)
thyb0

Post by thyb0 »

His methods do not just prevent the dialog from opening, they do avoid to buy the Ferrari two times. Methods 1 and 2 are just OK but I'd greatly prefer the last one, and as he says, it's how every web developer should do until W3 standards apparently specifies that strictly postdata shouldn't be cached (as explained by johann_p, earlier in this thread):

- User inputs data into a form and posts it.
- Your script somehow checks if data is posted (favorite method: test hidden fields not to confuse between forms if there are many.)
- Your script processes the postdata (usually, data is stored or at least cached.)
- Your script sends location header to redirect to itself (reload,)
- User gets his data from the storage/cache location, if needed.

You can also make seperate document(s) for processing data, pointing forms to it and then redirecting wherever you want after processing, etc (there surely are many methods.)

It's 100% OK and just takes a few seconds more thinking while writing.
thib´
MathewC

::SOLUTION::

Post by MathewC »

<b>SOLUTION</b>

Okay,

1. Open a new tab
2. type: about:config into the address bar and hit enter
3. type "postdata" into the filter bar. You should see "broswer.sessionstore.postdata"
4. Double click it and change the value from the default "0" to "1"

DONE.

I've been the receiver of much information on the web and registered here just to "give back".

I took a wild guess about checking about:config options to see if "postdata" was in there. I guessed that 1 would store the data and it worked for me. I have NO idea what other ramifications this could have.

Have fun and reply if it worked for you.

Thanks,
-MathewC
makaiguy

Re: ::SOLUTION::

Post by makaiguy »

MathewC wrote:<b>SOLUTION</b>

Okay,

1. Open a new tab
3. type "postdata" into the filter bar. You should see "broswer.sessionstore.postdata"

DONE.

I've been the receiver of much information on the web and registered here just to "give back".

I took a wild guess about checking about:config options to see if "postdata" was in there. I guessed that 1 would store the data and it worked for me. I have NO idea what other ramifications this could have.

Thanks,
-MathewC

See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionstore.postdata
and: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessi ... vacy_level
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
MathewC

Re: ::SOLUTION::

Post by MathewC »

makaiguy wrote:
MathewC wrote:<b>SOLUTION</b>

Okay,

1. Open a new tab

DONE.

Thanks,
-MathewC

See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionstore.postdata
and: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessi ... vacy_level

Thanks! Learn somethin new everyday.
bobkarla

Post by bobkarla »

Any good solutions yet? :(