Used about:cache, but the FLV file is not there

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Earl Grey tea

Used about:cache, but the FLV file is not there

Post by Earl Grey tea »

Hello,
I'm using the latest version of Firefox, and trying to copy a FLV file from the Cache to another file in my hard drive. I have used "about:cache" and looked at both the memory and disk cache files, but the file I'm looking for is not there. I have the file (video) on another tab while I'm searching for it in cache, but it's not there at all. How do I go about in finding this video file in FLV format without having to download any extensions for Firefox? I would like to be able to find it manually, but I've tried all that's been suggested as to how to find files in cache using "about:cache" Also, while is the video file not in the cache?

Thank you for any help on this matter.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A streaming file might be in the Windows Temp folder - not sure about FLV formats, but WMV files all end up in the Temp folder it seems.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Earl Grey tea

Post by Earl Grey tea »

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I looked under windows Temp folder, wasn't there. I also tried to find the folder where Firefox cache is stored, but the cache folder isn't there. I looked under: c:\documents and settings\user name\local settings\application data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\somename.default\cache

But the Cache file isn't there....
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Some sites make the videos no-cache, so it might not have been cached. The Unplug extension can provide a link to a video so that it can be downloaded.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2254
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

"c:\documents and settings\user name\local settings\application data\" is a hidden folder.

You can also look at: Download Helper - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Finding the cache folder isn't gonna do you any good, everything there is obfuscated (no file names) as a security measure to keep stuff "sandboxed".

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Earl Grey tea

Post by Earl Grey tea »

Hello,
Thank you for your replies. I have found a way to locate the file and download it without add-ons. Thanks again.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

It would be nice to share how you did it, so that future viewers of this thread know the solution, too.

Ed
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

For some sites it is easy: if you look at the link of the object that loads the Flash Player then you see the url of that file appended as GET data.
If the url of the flv file is in an xml file or otherwise not present in the code and also doesn't show up in the cache then it is much more difficult to retrieve the file without an extension if at all possible.

Re: Used about:cache, but the FLV file is not there

Post by Guest »

Just to clarify this topic, although I'm a little late, whenever you stream a flash player video such as the videos off of youtube, the .flv files would be listed in temporary internet files (usually as "GetVideo"). All you would do is grab the file from cache and convert to whatever your liking is. The problem is that I no longer see .flv in cache in either firefox nor ie7. I do not know if this is because they realized the flaw with the temp files. If anyone knows the reason, please explain.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I have no idea why you resurrected an old thread like that, but I found an extension called BetterCache to be somewhat helpful to allow at least some files to be cached. It removed no-cache instructions from the server headers, but I do not believe it affects no-cache metacode in web pages. Still, that is better than nothing.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6371
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Locking. Anonymosity's suggestion should do the trick. If not, start a new thread.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."