Passwords GONE! :(

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MistyEyes

Passwords GONE! :(

Post by MistyEyes »

Can someone tell me WHY, every time I update FF, ALL of my settings vanish into thin air? This is getting ridiculous! I try my derndist to just download the new versions, but for some reason this version automatically updated before I could make a brand new fresh backup.
I have everything backed up sorta, but I can't remember which file holds the usernames and password.
Can someone please tell me which file it is please.
I am so peeved right now! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
**Your Karma Ran Over My Dogma**
trolly

Post by trolly »

Read here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=
The autofill feature was changed because the passwords could be stolen on some sites.

If you check "Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Show passwords" you will find that they are still there.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
MistyEyes

Missing passwords

Post by MistyEyes »

If you check "Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Show passwords" you will find that they are still there.

I KNOW WHERE they are suppose to be, in the new section called security/passwords....BUT...when I open the passwords, the window is empty! NO passwords, nada nuthinhoney :(
This happens every single time that FF automatically updates.
I would still like to know the name of the file that is suppose to store the passwords, so I can have an almost complete password file...please??!!
trolly

Post by trolly »

There are two files in your profile: signons.txt and key3.db
You need always both.
If you see a signons2.txt this one may prevent to load the original. Due to a change in the password handling the original file is supposed to be rewritten but if it fails ...
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
MistyEyes

Post by MistyEyes »

OK, I have signons2.txt. I looked at what was inside, and it looked like what was there before. The file I was talking about was that key3.db. I tried adding my backed up key3.db and low and behold I can see my passwords again :) .
TY!
I haven't gotten as far to see if there is any problem with data retention or whatever is being chattered about... but I will will keep you posted if there is a problem.
I still don't get why my PWs always disappear every single time I auto update FF.
I just forgot that file name this time (key3.db) ... That's what happens when you get really really old! LOL!
Thanks again!
trolly

Post by trolly »

You're welcome. :-)
Losing passwords is really really rare.
sarah...

Post by sarah... »

not that rare, it has happened to me on the last 2 updates. soo annoying, and i dont remember how i fixed it last time.

the link here just takes me to other threads where people have posted other links to other threads and none of them say "click here for instructions on how to restore your saved passwords when the disappear after a firefox update"

so can someone post that link here? pleeeeease...
R.Bertrand

Passwords partly gone after update

Post by R.Bertrand »

As is also said by the person who started this thread: EVERY time I update FF, I lose the latest added passwords.

I also do not get why this is done and I really don´t get why there is no warning message about this "feature".

I saw the file signons-2.txt mentioned in relation to this behaviour, but I don´t know what to do to get ALL my passwords back: the ones related to the entries in my signons.txt AND the ones in signons-2.txt. For instance, can I add the entries form signons-2.txt in the file signons.txt and replace this file with the newly created one?

Any information about the way this works is appreciated...
trolly

Post by trolly »

That's unusual behaviour.
The filename is signons2.txt. If you really have a signons-2.txt file then firefox has problems to write the password file. Are there other numbered files?

You can use this extension to backup your passwords just in case.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2848
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Signons.txt and signons2.txt have different layouts.
If you want to copy passwords from signons.txt to signons2.txt then you need to add the extra lines below the encrypted passwords, but that will only work if both use the same key3.db file.
Otherwise you can use the Password Exporter extension to export both sets and import them in one of the sets or in a new file to merge them.

See:
signons2.txt (KB)
signons.txt (KB)
nerys

Passwords Restoration

Post by nerys »

How do I restore my passwords from my signons2.txt file if I do NOT have the key3.db file?

Fubu did not work so I found out signons2.txt was the file and just keep a copy of that on my thumbdrive. I reformatted last night and tried restoring this file but NO JOY when I try backup I get message 0 pass backuped 301 NOT backed up because firefox could not access them properly

How do I fix this? MOST of my sited will NOT let me remember passwords now (even with the hacks and what not) but they still work with my grandfathered in pass saves if I can just import them :-( this is ultra important to me. I simply can not use this if it can not remember my passes the process of taking care of my bills literally goes from 10 minutes to 1.5 hours or more as I have to look up and enter each and every single stinking password.

OR how about a new hack or extension that works with ANY form field I want.

I do not care about the security of these passwords I will worry about my own security :-( grrrr

So annoying

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
trolly

Post by trolly »

Sorry. you lost. key3.db keeps the keys to decrypt the passwords. There may be some brute-force method ...

A new profile should be able to keep them.
You can use the password exporter add-on to export/import the passwords.
aphro

Firefox 2.0.0.9 Update LOST Passwords

Post by aphro »

I've read every article I found about losing passwords..
Formerly I used a master password - is gone
Displaying passwords in security tab shows an empty list
so I've looked up my profile folder and found "signons2.txt" - empty too except of "#2d" and NO "signons.txt"
I've tried system restore but nothing changed.
I've tried the password exporter but I don't have xml or cvs data to import

These passwords are very important to me and I really beg for help!
I've never had these problems before..
Is there any chance to do a rollback or something like that?

ps: bookmarks are fully available.. but my passwords are more important :(
trolly

Post by trolly »

If you clear the master password all stored passwords are cleared. Security reasons.
And - as already said - you need the file key3.db beside the signons2.txt file.

If you can not find these files anywhere they are probably gone for good. You may try an undeleter but the chances are not very good.
aphro

Post by aphro »

trolly wrote:If you clear the master password all stored passwords are cleared. Security reasons.
And - as already said - you need the file key3.db beside the signons2.txt file.
If you can not find these files anywhere they are probably gone for good. You may try an undeleter but the chances are not very good.

I have NOT cleared the master password.. I have NOT changed anything.. an automatically update to Firefox 2.0.0.9 happened to me and when I opened the browser again.. everything concerning my passwords was gone.

I have a "key3.db" and nearly empty "signons2.txt" file - what can I do with these to get my passwords back?

Thank you for helping!