Palmsync testing round 5

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
gzartman

Post by gzartman »

wsm wrote:
ChefChaudart wrote:
gzartman wrote:HSM 6.0.1 (Palm Desktop 4.2), Thunderbird 2.0.0.4, Win XP SP2, Palm Treo 700P... This seems like a production quality piece of software.

Greg

Except for é à è .... ;-)

what is needed is people who understands character issues in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310290

This really is very minor with respect to the masses. Something more akeen to a "known issue," than a bug. The vast majority of Treo users would not be affected by this unicode related issue.

The problem is, is that Treo users are looking for, and finding, alternate solutions to syncing contacts from their PC to their Treo. Unfortunately, most of these issued involve Outlook/Outlook express. :(

Greg
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

the current prerelease has moved to http://www.lehigh.edu/~wsm0/palmsync-2.0.0.x-wsm.xpi
tim_tillinghast

each time I sync with Palm Sync it creates new copies of all

Post by tim_tillinghast »

Hi,

HSM 4.0.1, TB 2.0.0.6, Treo 600, Windows XP
I've been using Palm sync (1.8.1.5pre) for a couple of weeks now. I was very happy to find a new version of this that allowed me to sync addresses again wtih thunderbird
BUT I realized today that every time I sync, I am getting a new copy of EACH address added to my contacts on the palm. (Some have 8 or 9 copies.) If I delete all but one and resync, then I have two of that particular address.
Given the difficulty of deleting addresses in the Palm OS, it will take a long time to get ready of the extras.

It does appear to correctly taking in changes made on the Palm or in thunderbird.

Any ideas what I can do? I will have to quit using Palm sync if I get a new copy of each address each time.

Thanks,
tim Tillinghast
GigMormon

Post by GigMormon »

Could someone tell me where the documentation is for Palm with Thunderbird? At this point, I am no longer sure of the viability of Thunderbird, let alone Palm on Thunderbird, and if this stuff is so ethereal, I may just have to go with the known quantity (Outlook). Thanks.
wsmwk

Re: each time I sync with Palm Sync it creates new copies of

Post by wsmwk »

tim_tillinghast wrote:every time I sync, I am getting a new copy of EACH address added to my contacts on the palm. (Some have 8 or 9 copies.)

Any ideas what I can do? I will have to quit using Palm sync if I get a new copy of each address each time.

Thanks,
tim Tillinghast

Tim, what happens with sync, after you do one sync with setting of "desktop overwrites palm"?
tim_tillinghast

Post by tim_tillinghast »

Thanks
I saw that comment somewhere else shortly after I posted and it worked fine for me. It's been going good now for the last 3 weeks.

Tim Tillinghast
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

GigMormon wrote:Could someone tell me where the documentation is for Palm with Thunderbird? At this point, I am no longer sure of the viability of Thunderbird, let alone Palm on Thunderbird, and if this stuff is so ethereal, I may just have to go with the known quantity (Outlook). Thanks.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/PalmSync_(Thunderbird)
dropout

Post by dropout »

Does anyone have experience with the new Palm Desktop Beta 6.2 for Vista?
cechu

Howto: non-admin user + language specific char (accent)

Post by cechu »

Hello,

After much despair about Thunderbird 2.x Address Book 's syncing with my palm (Treo 600), and whereas as many Iwas to replace Thunderbird back with Outlook, I finally solved my issues.

My problem were:
- to have the sync working whereas I have no administrator right on my PC. Palmsync was systematically ending with the same error code 4364.
- then, to have my language-specific character (French accent) go through the sync. Palmsync was ignoring my address book and was recreating some new ones with different names ("Personnel" instead "Contact Personnel"). Moreover, it was systematically recreating new user with language-specific characters replaced by question marks (such as Fran?ois instead of François).

I hope these few tips will help some, as I was really about to drop Thunderbird because of this!

Chris,
Aulofee.com

///////////////////////
Here is how I did to install as non-admin user:
- install palmsync.xpi as an admin (in Thunderbird)

- then install it in Thunderbird within your account. You get error msg - just click ok

- As an admin, extract the part of the registry for HKCU\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop into USRobotic.reg (you actually need only the subkey ApplicationXX related to MozABConduit.dll).

- Log under your account, (close HotSyncManager if it is launched automatically), modifies USRobotic.reg so that it refers to the MozABConduit.dll in your profile directory (ex:
"Conduit"="C:\\DOCUME~1\\ADMINI~1\\APPLIC~1\\THUNDE~1\\Profiles\\UYWOPD~1.DEF\\EXTENS~1\\p@m\\MOZABC~1.DLL"
-->
"Conduit"="C:\\DOCUME~1\\MYNAME\\APPLIC~1\\THUNDE~1\\Profiles\\ABCDEFG.DEF\\EXTENS~1\\p@m\\MOZABC~1.DLL"

- Still under you account, double-click on the modified USRobotic.reg

- As an admin, register the library you refered to above. In the example above, do:
regsvr32 "C:\DOCUME~1\MYNAME\APPLIC~1\THUNDE~1\Profiles\ABCDEFG.DEF\EXTENS~1\p@m\MOZABC~1.DLL"

- Launch HotSyncManager under your account.

That's it!

///////////////////////
Here is how I did to remove the language-specific issues:

- for the address books being recreated, once all contacts were in the PC, I deleted every entry and every address book on the Palm, then I did a sync in mode "full copy from PC to handled".

- for doublons, you may get new doublons each time for some entries (those which are in conflict between the Palm and the PC, those which are in the PC or in the Palm and which are not compatible with the format of the other end...). Depending on the cause of the doublon, the solution these cases is either to remove the faulty entries and/or to force the sync to apply in one way only.
dropout

Post by dropout »

While PalmSync has been working for me, just recently it started rebooting my Treo.

Any ideas?
cechu

Post by cechu »

Dropout: what has changed on your PC or your Treo recently?
dropout

Post by dropout »

Nothing that I'm aware of. I've been trying to figure that out. I don't use automatic updates and haven't updated Vista for quite a while.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

dropout wrote:While PalmSync has been working for me, just recently it started rebooting my Treo.

Any ideas?

iirc rebooting is known to be caused by memory shortage on the treos.
see also http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/treo-700 ... tsync.html
Last edited by wsmwk on January 2nd, 2008, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wsmwk

Re: Howto: non-admin user + language specific char (accent)

Post by wsmwk »

cechu wrote:- to have the sync working whereas I have no administrator right on my PC. Palmsync was systematically ending with the same error code 4364.

is this with Vista or with XP?

cechu wrote:- Palmsync was ignoring my address book and was recreating some new ones with different names ("Personnel" instead "Contact Personnel").

"Contact Personnel" was your AB name in Thunderbird? Did you create the name, or did it come with your install of Thunderbird?

cechu wrote:it was systematically recreating new user with language-specific characters replaced by question marks (such as Fran?ois instead of François).

Are you able to help with these bugs?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310290 problem syncing Contacts with Danish letters, umlauts (ä, ü, ö, ß), diacritics, etc in names - regression starting with TB 1.5
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=237624 Palm addressbook synchronization issues with non-ASCII characters (international language / unicode with PalmSync)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

GigMormon wrote:Could someone tell me where the documentation is for Palm with Thunderbird? At this point, I am no longer sure of the viability of Thunderbird, let alone Palm on Thunderbird, and if this stuff is so ethereal, I may just have to go with the known quantity (Outlook). Thanks.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/PalmSync_-_Thunderbird and links from it to other references