Thunderbird hyperlinks won't work

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
gilloz

Thunderbird hyperlinks won't work

Post by gilloz »

The hyperlinks that I get in email s will not take me to the website. Actually, nothing happens when I click on them. I am using Thunderbird version 2.0.0.6 in Mepis Linux 6.5. Some one mentioned that I had to create a shell script or something like that. Not sure I know what that is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Asus P5N-D; E8500; 8GB PC2-6400 DDR2
GeForce 9600 GSO 764MB; 610 W SLI/PSU
Win 7 64 Bit
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You need to set a default browser as that is what Thunderbird calls when you click on a link. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Thanks Dan for your reply. Well, I tried performing the configurations under KDE and Debian and still nothing happens when I click on the hyperlinks. Is there another way?
Win 7 64 Bit
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

(Thanks to Paolo)
Put these lines in user.js file, in your Thunderbird profile:

Code: Select all

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

Of course change the path of the firefox executable, if yours is not /usr/bin/firefox.
Ciao, Paolo

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Well, I have tried the above code: and it didn't work. BTW, I don't have a user.js file. I have a pref.js file instead. I did change the last part to /home/gilloz/firefox and still nothing. Although, if I go directly to /home/gilloz/firefox and double click on the firefox file, the website opens up. Looks like I am going to have to teach myself how to write a shell script file of some sort and use that instead. I honestly don't know what else to do or even ask. I am totally lost. Thanks anyway Dan & Daifne for your responses.
Win 7 64 Bit
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You have to create the file user.js. It does not exist in the initial installation of the program.
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Could the fact that I have two Firefox versions installed be my problem? My originial Firefox when I installed Linux Mepis 6.5 was 2.0.0.3. When I tried to update Firefox to 2.0.0.8 I had some problems doing it, but in the end if finally worked. But, I also noticed that when I went into my files and double clicked on a Firefox file, it would open up to the 2.0.0.3 version. Matter of fact, when I go through All Applications, Browse All, Apps, Net and then Mozilla Firefox, it goes to the older version. BTW, the older version of Firefox is always listed as Mozilla Firefox in various folders. The new version is listed as Firefox only. I think I screwed up somewhere when I tried to update Firefox. Again, could the fact that I have 2 Firefox versions cause this present problem?
Win 7 64 Bit
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

It shouldn't cause any problems, just as long as you point the code in user.js at whatever version you prefer to use.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

But Firefox versions/profiles have nothing to do with Thunderbird...

Take a look at the bottom of my post. I linked to an article about user.js when I posted that...
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Ok guys, my problem is solved. Here is the feedback. I posted a similar thread in the Linux Mepis 6.5 forums. I got a reply on how to go about it in 4 steps. I opened up my Thunderbird program, clicked on Edit in the toolbar, then selected Preferences, then I clicked on the button Config Editor and added, as a string, the code above that Daifne gave me from Paolo. That was it. It works great. I went back and deleted the user.js file I created and another file called openlink.sh that I also created from another forum, and everything still works fine. I want to thank you folks for your inputs. I hope this helps someone else out. Thanks again.
Win 7 64 Bit
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Thanks, gilloz. I'll edit my file for this to reflect that you can do it in the config editor. I don't use Linux so couldn't test it.