how to automatically set Firefox auto-detect proxy settings

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
amg_

how to automatically set Firefox auto-detect proxy settings

Post by amg_ »

I have searched through stacks of earlier posts but I can not find decisive information about this. AFAIK you can not GPO firefox's settings. Is there a way to script changes maybe with a login script or something? I would love to use Firefox instead of IE but there is no way i could deploy and maintain for 150 pc's without some kind of help.
amg_

bump

Post by amg_ »

Surely this is important to someone else?
m1scha.m

Post by m1scha.m »

We are only volunteers here, so we don't use a roster system.

Anyway got to Tools > Options > Advanced > Network tab, then click settings under Connection, and set how you want to connect in there.

There is a Knowledge Base, for example this is the page for Network proxy settings: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.proxy ... y_settings as you can see it is still being written.

Firefox is quite easy to set up, if you were a forum member you could post in the other, more specific forums to get advice and assistance.
amg_

Post by amg_ »

thank you so much for your help.

The problem with setting up a WPAD/PAC file is that Firefox defaults to Direct-connect to internet instead of Auto-detect proxy. 500 users and 150 pc's would mean that everyone of those users would have to choose the Auto-detect option.

At no point do I expect my users to be able to handle such a thing. As mush as I would enjoy moving to Firefox, without a way to force the Auto-detect option and disable the ability to be changed away from Auto-detect, I cant see such a thing happening. That ability is what I was inquiring about.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can put default setting for new users in a files user.js that you put in the folder with the default template files:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
All the files in that folder will be copied to new profiles,