Cannot open pdf files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bilakbokis

Cannot open pdf files

Post by bilakbokis »

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Adobe Reader 8.0 (AcroRd32.exe) with Windows XP Professional. When I try to open any pdf file from any web site I get the following message:
"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your Web Browser and try again".

Adobe Reader opens and gives me that message and the file never opens.

Of course, closing everything doesn't help. I've been looking within this forum to see if anyone else had the same problem but the answers that I read don't seem to apply to my case. Since I reinstalled the operating system in January, I installed Adobe Reader once, I didn't have an earlier version installed.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Maybe you still have an old plugin in the plugins folder in the Firefox program folder.
See: Identifying_installed_plugins_(KB)

You can check the plugins.
In the url bar, type <i>about:plugins</i> and press Enter.
If you have set the pref (plugin.expose_full_path) then you see the full path of the plugins.
bilakbokis

Still not opening pdf files

Post by bilakbokis »

I did what you suggested but I don't know where to go from there. Under "about:plugins" there's only a section called
"Mozilla Default Plug-ins" (I don't see anything specifically for Firefox), with a file called npnul32.dll, which under "Identifying_installed_plugins_(KB)" says Firefox doesn't need it. Here's what I did, following instructions under "about:config" but it didn't work:
1. I completely exited Firefox.
2. I opened the Firefox "plugins" folder, typically C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins.
3. I removed all the files in the plugins folder to a backup location.
4. I restarted Firefox.

pdf files still won't open...

Do you have further suggestions? What should I do once I'm looking at the about:plugins list? (I already set the preference of plugin.expose_full_path to TRUE). Sorry, but I need "basic help" here, please...
trolly

Post by trolly »

You have to find the correct "nppdf32.dll" file and place it in the plugins folder. This message is typical if you have conflicting versions of Adobe Reader.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Re: Cannot open pdf files

Post by Guest »

bilakbokis wrote: try to open any pdf file from any web site
for example
bilakbokis

yes indeed

Post by bilakbokis »

trolly wrote:You have to find the correct "nppdf32.dll" file and place it in the plugins folder. This message is typical if you have conflicting versions of Adobe Reader.

I had Adobe Reader and the full version of Adobe... I got rid of Adobe Reader and it now works! Thanks.
trolly

Post by trolly »

:-)
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Tom94022

Cannot open pdf files after upgrade to Acrobat 8.1.1

Post by Tom94022 »

My original installation started with Acrobat 8.0 Pro and no reader. Everything worked fine in Firefox thru Adobe several upgrades but since upgrading to v8.1.1 I can no longer open pdf's in FF.

Adobe's upgrade to Acrobat 8.1.1 Pro installed a copy of Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 which apparently is my problem. I then used Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the Reader but unfortunately it uninstalled the link between FF and Acrobat so now if i try to open a pdf I get a plug in required message.

I don't want the plug-in but would rather use my full featured Acrobat so now I am looking for how to reinstall the link. There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to do so FF,Tools,Content,File Type. Anyone have a suggestion?

Tom
trolly

Post by trolly »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636
Firefox needs a plugin like nppdf32.dll as mentioned above. You can search for computer for that file and place it in the plugins folder.
Tom94022

Cannot open pdf files after upgrade to Acrobat 8.1.1

Post by Tom94022 »

Thanks for your prompt response.

Another thing the Acrobat Reader uninstall did was disassociate *.pdf from acrobat professional.

I did find and copy nppdf32.dll from my Acrobat8 directory to the Firefox/plugins directory. It ran at first but then I changed the setting to use the system default application (having no default application). Upon first try, Windows took me to the Open With dialog which i used to open the test pdf, BUT, now Firefox seems to have lost the association with pdf. If I open Tools,Options,Content,Manage dialog pdf does not appear as a choice, even though C:\Program Files\Firefox\plugins\nppdf32.dll exists. I tried deleting nppf32.dll, opening FF, closing FF and placing a new copy therein to no avail :-(

I tried downloading PDF Download 0.9.3.2 as an alternative, but it's viewing was quite distorted.

BTW, if I do an about;plugins, it shows
Adobe Acrobat

File name: nppdf32.dll
Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/pdf Acrobat Portable Document Format pdf Yes

Any more advice would be appreciated. I thought about downloading the reader, installing it and then using Tools,Options,Content,Manage dialog to associate to the application rather than the reader.

Tom
Tom94022

Can not open pdf files after upgrade to Acrobat 8.1.1

Post by Tom94022 »

Further follow-up:

I removed nppdf32.dll from the plugins directory.
Then Acrobat 8.1.1. Professional I used Edit,Preferencees,Internet to turn off "Display PDF in Browser"
The Acrobat installer seemed to run forever and then per its instructions I rebooted.
I then turned "Display PDF in Browser" back on and again rebooted (after a shorter install session).

Now when I attempt to open a pdf in FF, I get the "Open With" dialog and it correctly points to the Acrobat executable but it does NOT open the pdf in the FF window.

nppdf32.dll is back in the plugins directory, apparently installed by the Acrobat installer

Still hoping for a solution short of reinstalling both :-(

Tom
Tom94022

Can not open pdf files after upgrade to Acrobat 8.1.1

Post by Tom94022 »

Final update

All i then had to do is go into Firefox Tools,Options,File Types,Manage search for pdf and then "Change Action" to Use "This Plugin." For some reason, when I re-enabled Acrobat to display in browser it didn't set Firefox into this mode.

Thanks for your suggestion, it was painful but now I am back where i started. Hope the details above helps someone solve this problem faster :-)

Tom
webnut

Post by webnut »

This fix will also work for people running Vista and having trouble with an upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0. I used it moments ago to fix the exact error message above. Just find the nppdf32.dll file in the newly installed version of Acrobat Pro (do a search on the Adobe Install directory) and then replace the old one with a copy of the new one. Rename the old file first, in case you have to go back for any reason. If you get mixed up, the new one will have a newer file creation date.

I was having trouble in Firefox 2.0.0.16 only. (Have not upgraded to Firefox 3 yet because of plugins that are not available in that version yet...). My PDFs would open in IE and other browsers, but not Firefox.

This fix will probably only work for the exact error message: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your Web Browser and try again.". If you have the other variant of this error message, where the second sentence is different, this may not work.
eggie888

Re:Thanks

Post by eggie888 »

trolly wrote:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636
Firefox needs a plugin like nppdf32.dll as mentioned above. You can search for computer for that file and place it in the plugins folder.
eggie888

Post by eggie888 »

thanks this was helpfull :)