Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
condorito

Post by condorito »

It happened. I hate to admit that finally, at least in my opinion, Ubuntu kicks more ass than Fedora. Wait a minute, yoohoo! I don't hate that at all, way to go Canonical. I ran Ubuntu 7.10 as live CD and it works nice. I always wanted Fedora to lead the pack, but see, this is what happens when developers start thinking as end users, focus on usability, and forget about geekability and crappility they only know how to doility. Man, I'm happy. Ubuntu got it right, hopefully all the others will follow.
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.
frcan

Post by frcan »

Installed 7.10 - Seems there is still no drivers for my modem. As I can't go online to update the Synaptic, I don't know if it would work this time - Very disappointed, again Image
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

My router finally gave up the ghost this week, which means I have to use an old USB ADSL modem. My disappointment that support for this device means going back to 1996 and hacking my own init scripts was palpable.

Aside from, wow. Gutsy is really, really good. I've started compiling a list of desktop niggles which need fixed (mostly related to Ubuntu's MIME mapping, which is shared across all modern distros via freesoftware.org), but there's so much goodness in the default install. Automatic thumbnailing and support for my CBZ documents was an unexpected joy, for instance. And wobbly windows rock.

- Chris
steviex

Post by steviex »

^ Time to write your Christmas list for Santa, Thumper ... 1 Linux compatible router...
My NetGear I got with sky works pretty well... :)

^^ frcan... You could always borrow a modem to see what is out there, or run the LiveCD on a friends computer to pick up the bits and pieces....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

'Twas a Netgear that died. I'd got for one again, but for the current solution working (and my desire to spend my hard-earned on things like football strips and holidays right now).

Having just found this (unfortunately after the hell that is hacking my own init scripts I feel compelled to pimp this, a seriously excellent start in getting proper support for what is easily the most-used ADSL modem in the UK. Please, everybody, spead this far and wide. We need this in the distros until full NetworkManageresque support exists for USB ADSL modems.

- Chris
steviex

Post by steviex »

Cheers mate.... frcan, is this what you are using ?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

condorito wrote:It happened. I hate to admit that finally, at least in my opinion, Ubuntu kicks more ass than Fedora...

...I always wanted Fedora to lead the pack...

I think this is probably the same for many of us. I always used to use Kanotix, both installed and CD and still consider it the best LiveCD around. However, far more important than the subtle differences between 100+ Unix distros, are the huge differences between Linux, M$ and Macs.

Therefore, it made sense to me to get behind and push one major Linux distro, Ubuntu, in order for Linux to make the progress that it should regarding market 'penetration'. Other people hold a similar view.

Obviously, as Kanotix is KDE based and I also have an aversion to the colour brown, I went for Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu, but in all other ways the same as Ubuntu. I have no complaints, this is very good stuff.

Change of subject - upgrading to Ubuntu 7.1.0. Certainly if you are a new Linux user, go for it, all reports are good.

For existing 7.0.4 users, my personal suggestion would be to hold off a month or two, which is what I will be doing. I'm stressing that it is only my opinion here, as I am not the best person to ask on this stuff...I am always deliberately a version behind for at least 3 months on all software. Just because I learnt that all and any teething problems, especially with upgrading, seem to be resolved in that time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
earther

Post by earther »

Frank Lion wrote:Obviously, as Kanotix is KDE based and I also have an aversion to the colour brown, I went for Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu, but in all other ways the same as Ubuntu. I have no complaints, this is very good stuff.

Do you know that you can switch themes in Ubuntu? Or even create a custom theme? My personal Ubuntu theme has not one hint of brown! The 'original' look only remains on the boot splash screen logo and login.

Besides, Kubuntu is based on KDE and I much prefer Gnome. ;) So Kubuntu and Ubuntu are actually quite different. Of course, you can install Gnome desktop on Kubuntu and KDE desktop on Ubuntu,

For existing 7.0.4 users, my personal suggestion would be to hold off a month or two, which is what I will be doing. I'm stressing that it is only my opinion here, as I am not the best person to ask on this stuff...I am always deliberately a version behind for at least 3 months on all software. Just because I learnt that all and any teething problems, especially with upgrading, seem to be resolved in that time.

Kinda like waiting for SP1 on Windoze! LOL!!! That being said, I have run Gutsy Ubuntu and Xubuntu from the live disks and am getting itchy to upgrade. The screen resolutions are better and I could port my custom theme, no problem. Have the alternate disks ready and waiting. If I didn't have really big website update for a client pending, I would be jumping right in.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

earther wrote:Do you know that you can switch themes in Ubuntu? Or even create a custom theme? My personal Ubuntu theme has not one hint of brown! ...

Yes, amazingly, I did know that. How did you think I am able to advise people on Ubuntu or start this thread even ...if I have never used it? It is a long standing running gag around here. Don't worry about it. :)

BTW ...did you mean custom themes like this?

Besides, Kubuntu is based on KDE

Yep, as I just said above. :)

earther wrote: ...So Kubuntu and Ubuntu are actually quite different. Of course, you can install Gnome desktop on Kubuntu and KDE desktop on Ubuntu,

Not different just underneath the surface and that is what a Windows/Desktop Manger is ...a surface. You can also install the Enlightenment Desktop Manger on either - try it, it is listed in the Synaptic Manager.

Kinda like waiting for SP1 on Windoze! LOL!!!

Nope, kinda like not having to ask guys like me, in the middle of the night, how to fix their busted OSs or programs. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
earther

Post by earther »

Sorry I didn't mean to insult your Ubuntu wisdom. :)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Realy? could have fooled me. :doubt:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
steviex

Post by steviex »

Now, people.... I don't want to have to get my pointy stick out, do I ?

m1scha.m

Post by m1scha.m »

Does it have a burnt end?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Only when dealing with Aussies :lol:

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

:shock:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"