[Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.1 : 1-16-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nullman

Post by nullman »

joseprio has solved this issue and a fixed version of Showcase can be found here: http://showcase.uworks.net/mirror.html (version 0.9.3)
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

nullman wrote:joseprio has solved this issue and a fixed version of Showcase can be found here: http://showcase.uworks.net/mirror.html (version 0.9.3)

Well, I made some changes to make the latest release compatible with Firefox 3, and it seems that it created issues with some Firefox distributions in Linux. I built a new version that should fix the problem,and that can be found at http://showcase.uworks.net/mirror.html (0.9.4.2). Of course, the fix will be included in the next "official" release.

If this problem persists, add a reply to this thread or contact me directly.
lars_huttar

Post by lars_huttar »

Jose, thanks for your reply, and your willingness to process feedback.

joseprio wrote:Yes, rendering 50+ thumbnails is slow... however, in the "Advanced" tab in Showcase settings you've the option to enable a "cache", so thumbnails will be generated during the regular browsing. If you plan to use it with a lot of thumbnails, then use "200" as the thumbnail size, as then thumbnails will be large enough and won't be repainted.
Thanks for this suggestion. I have given it a try.

However, I see a couple of limitations with it: (1) it won't help the first time I use Showcase, right? And currently, I mainly use Showcase for shutting down, so it wouldn't help me very much. If it meant the thumbnails don't have to be redrawn slightly bigger every time I close a tab, that could be a significant win. I'm trying that, and it seems to help somewhat, but the thumbnails that come sequentially after the tab I close *do* get redrawn, and they still get bigger as I close them. So it's not as speedy as I would like. But with multi-select/close, it is pretty fast. (2) I still would like to get lots of tab information on the screen in a compact table format, like in Windows explorer detail view. Having thumbnails, even when small, means I can't have that compact one-tab-per-line, many-lines format. And shrinking the thumbnails doesn't help much. When I make the thumbnails very small (e.g. 5%), the labels get tiny so I can't see the page titles. Moreover, I don't get more tabs on a page by having tiny thumbnails; instead, I get lots of space between thumbnails!

Maybe my display request is different enough from the thumbnails view that it doesn't even belong in the same extension. I would be willing to try writing a separate extension, but I see so much good work in Showcase that I would not want to have to reinvent. E.g. (as mentioned earlier) multiple selection with actions like Close; many actions on contextual menu; sidebar settings...
Not to mention that I would have to learn XUL! :-)

joseprio wrote:Of course, there's the option to disable the previews. As it's not difficult to implement, I'll make sure to add this option in a future release.
Great!

joseprio wrote:However, I'm not really sure on how nice will it look...
Maybe not very pretty, but if it offers a clean and very efficient way to do what people need, I think a lot of geeks will like it! :-)

joseprio wrote:
lars_huttar wrote:A simple list display like the default "Show all tabs" dropdown menu would be fine, if it supported all of Showcases extra features (multiple selection with close action, searching/filtering, keep the list open in a sidebar).
The problem with this is that drop downs are meant to be temporal, so I don't think it would be adequate. However, I might add some option that would make it easy to make showcase look like a drop down (it's mostly about the initial window position, as there's an option to remove the window title bar).
Oh, please don't misunderstand my request... I'm not looking for a dropdown. I only meant that a list format (similar to the list format in the Show-All-Tabs dropdown) was what I was looking for. I really would prefer a window/sidebar/whatever that stays open so I can do things with it, rather than a temporary dropdown.

joseprio wrote:But in any case, I'm always looking for interesting additions that will make my extension better, so I'll try out your suggestions.
Thanks again. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
tk_

Post by tk_ »

Hello, new to the forum, but I've been using FF for some time now. Started using Showcase about a month ago, switching from Tab Sidebar. Showcase seems to be much more robust and feature rich --great job! (Plus you're still developing it, TS seems to be dead.)

I just had two things, and only looked through the last 4 or so pages of this post but didn't see anything about them. So, if I am repeating what someone's already said, my apologies up front.

First, I've noticed that the blue highlight showing the "active" tab is not kept current, in that it doesn't always accurately show the current *active* tab.

Second, I'd request an option to add to the right-click popup menu to refresh all tabs.

Lastly, I like having the thumbnails, I see quite a few folks complaining about having the thumbnails, let me voice my vote in favor of them. It is by far the main reason I use the extension!

Again, thanks and GREAT work!
tk
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

tk_ wrote:Hello, new to the forum, but I've been using FF for some time now. Started using Showcase about a month ago, switching from Tab Sidebar. Showcase seems to be much more robust and feature rich --great job! (Plus you're still developing it, TS seems to be dead.)

I just had two things, and only looked through the last 4 or so pages of this post but didn't see anything about them. So, if I am repeating what someone's already said, my apologies up front.

First, I've noticed that the blue highlight showing the "active" tab is not kept current, in that it doesn't always accurately show the current *active* tab.

Second, I'd request an option to add to the right-click popup menu to refresh all tabs.

Lastly, I like having the thumbnails, I see quite a few folks complaining about having the thumbnails, let me voice my vote in favor of them. It is by far the main reason I use the extension!

Again, thanks and GREAT work!
tk

Hi tk,

the blue highlight is supposed to indicate a tab selection :) as one of Showcase users pointed out, this behavior is confusing. On a future release (hopefully the next one) I'll disable the selection of a tab via left click, as it has proved to be confusing. Users will still be able to select thumbnails by using the keyboard, mouse selection area or Ctrl+click, so I don't think they'll miss it.

About the thumbnails, well, I think that some people would like to use the functionality I implemented in a more "tab bar"-like interface, like the multiple tab selection, search bar or customization options. Adding a "thumbnail-less" option shouldn't be difficult, so I'll look into it.

Finally, about the "Refresh All", I'll try to add it on the next release (so when it's released, check for the option in "Thumbnails", "Mouse", "Contextual menu" in the Showcase configuration panel. For the time being, you might select all thumbnails (double click on an empty zone, or use CTRL+A), right click on the selection and choose "Refresh".
tk_

Post by tk_ »

joseprio wrote:Hi tk,

the blue highlight is supposed to indicate a tab selection :) as one of Showcase users pointed out, this behavior is confusing. On a future release (hopefully the next one) I'll disable the selection of a tab via left click, as it has proved to be confusing. Users will still be able to select thumbnails by using the keyboard, mouse selection area or Ctrl+click, so I don't think they'll miss it.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in a future release, left-clicking the mouse to select a tab will be disabled? If so, please don't -- left-clicking to select is the commonly understood way to select something (anything) in Windows.

About the thumbnails, well, I think that some people would like to use the functionality I implemented in a more "tab bar"-like interface, like the multiple tab selection, search bar or customization options. Adding a "thumbnail-less" option shouldn't be difficult, so I'll look into it.

Ok, as long as it is just an option (which I wouldn't use :) ).

Finally, about the "Refresh All", I'll try to add it on the next release (so when it's released, check for the option in "Thumbnails", "Mouse", "Contextual menu" in the Showcase configuration panel. For the time being, you might select all thumbnails (double click on an empty zone, or use CTRL+A), right click on the selection and choose "Refresh".

Ahh, good idea, although trying to find a place between the thumbnails to click (to select the sidebar) is tricky but can be done.

Oh, and on the highlighting part, I would really like having the option to have the active thumbnail (or tab) highlighted much the same way your tab (or thumbnail) "selection" works --maybe just a different color, green perhaps?
When you have multiple tabs/thumbnails, it's not always clear which one is the active one, especially if there are similar ones (e.g. same site but different page) next to it.

Thanks again!
tk
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

tk_ wrote:If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in a future release, left-clicking the mouse to select a tab will be disabled? If so, please don't -- left-clicking to select is the commonly understood way to select something (anything) in Windows.

Sorry, I don't think I was quite clear... you'll be able to set the thumbnail as the selected that for that window, but it will not use Showcase selection system on a left click (without "Ctrl" or "Shift" clicked).

tk_ wrote:Ahh, good idea, although trying to find a place between the thumbnails to click (to select the sidebar) is tricky but can be done.

Yes, it's complicated... just check the option for "Refresh All" in the next release :)

tk_ wrote:Oh, and on the highlighting part, I would really like having the option to have the active thumbnail (or tab) highlighted much the same way your tab (or thumbnail) "selection" works --maybe just a different color, green perhaps?
When you have multiple tabs/thumbnails, it's not always clear which one is the active one, especially if there are similar ones (e.g. same site but different page) next to it.

You could use the following code in userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

.thumbnail[selectedtab="true"] {
  background-color: #0f0 !important;
}

.thumbnail[selectedtab="true"] > caption {
  background-color: #0f0 !important;
}

.thumbnail[selectedtab="true"] .thumbnail-title {
  color: HighlightText;
}

More information about userChrome.css here.
lars_huttar

Post by lars_huttar »

Old joseprio wrote:Of course, there's the option to disable the previews. As it's not difficult to implement, I'll make sure to add this option in a future release. However, I'm not really sure on how nice will it look... I'll make a post on this thread once I release a version with this feature, so people is aware of it :)

Anything to report on this feature?
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

lars_huttar wrote:
Old joseprio wrote:Of course, there's the option to disable the previews. As it's not difficult to implement, I'll make sure to add this option in a future release. However, I'm not really sure on how nice will it look... I'll make a post on this thread once I release a version with this feature, so people is aware of it :)

Anything to report on this feature?

Not yet, but I'll do my best to include it on the next release ;)
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

I noticed a problem with ShowCase v0.9.4.5, when overriding the compatibility check and running it in the Firefox nightly build:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b3pre) Gecko/2008010604 Minefield/3.0b3pre ID:2008010604

If Advanced > Enable Thumbnail caching is checked, then a snapshot of Flash content is duplicated in the bottom-left corner, mirror flipped about a horizontal access. The current Flash content is drawn each time you scroll. This is with an otherwise blank profile, and Flash 9.0 r115. I haven't tried other plugins.
eg: Image

Let me know if you need a hand finding a regression window for Firefox, as it might be a bug in the app. There were some recent changes with endianess between PPC and Intel.
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

CrazyFred wrote:I noticed a problem with ShowCase v0.9.4.5, when overriding the compatibility check and running it in the Firefox nightly build:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b3pre) Gecko/2008010604 Minefield/3.0b3pre ID:2008010604

If Advanced > Enable Thumbnail caching is checked, then a snapshot of Flash content is duplicated in the bottom-left corner, mirror flipped about a horizontal access. The current Flash content is drawn each time you scroll. This is with an otherwise blank profile, and Flash 9.0 r115. I haven't tried other plugins.
eg: Image

Let me know if you need a hand finding a regression window for Firefox, as it might be a bug in the app. There were some recent changes with endianess between PPC and Intel.

Hi,

well, that's quite surprising!

I think that I know how to solve this problem... would it be possible for you to send me your email address by PM to receive a test version?

Kind regards,
Josep del Rio
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

Turns out this is <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408898">Bug 408898 - Drawing page with drawWindow duplicates flash content</a>, and some sort of bug in Firefox and/or Flash on the Mac.
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

CrazyFred wrote:Turns out this is <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408898">Bug 408898 - Drawing page with drawWindow duplicates flash content</a>, and some sort of bug in Firefox and/or Flash on the Mac.

Well, that means they're aware of the bug :) As it's quite important, I guess they'll be solving it soon. Thanks for your help!
David.P

Recognize selected Thumbnail

Post by David.P »

Hi again Josep,

first of all many thanks for the continued maintenance and development of FF-Showcase! I feel sort of disabled and blind if at times I can't use it for some reason ;)

Just one little glitch I seem to experience, I never seem to be able to recognize which thumbnail represents the currently visible tab! I always have to squint my eyes and identify the thumbnail that has bold text since this bold text seems to be the only distinguishing feature between the active and the non active thumbnails.

Therefore, I was wondering whether there was a way to make the thumbnails change color if active (similarly like when selected, maybe only in a different color)?

Thanks already for your consideration,
David.P
topherfx

Post by topherfx »

Hello Josep,

I'm using your showcase in the sidebar for just a week now and I love it. It's the best thing that happened to firefox besides mouse gestures.

But I'd like to come back to a point someone else mentioned before: Right now you are using the space for the thumbnails in the best way possible. I'd wish that I could set a size and then they'll start top left (depending on the width of the sidebar in rows) and then directly attached the next row. It's just slowing me down if the Thumbnais are moving...I can't just go to the left and click on one position to get for example the newspaper site but I have to search for it depending how many Tabs are open.

It would be a great improvement for the workflow especially with the sidebar.

Greets to Rio
Chris